Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Three Albion Players In The League One Top Ten

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I notice that Craig Davies also gets a mention.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That cant be right. Surely Saints should have more players as the best team in the division.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
1. Craig Mackail-Smith (Peterborough United)

Sorry he'd make a shit keeper.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Wonder what Gordon makes of Adam's recognition? In my view Adam is light years from where he was, but taking out the sentimentality of home grown boy done good, not ahead of Greer this season.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Wonder what Gordon makes of Adam's recognition? In my view Adam is light years from where he was, but taking out the sentimentality of home grown boy done good, not ahead of Greer this season.

Id disagree with that, I feel that El-Abd has been far better than Greer.. However, they compliment each other well. Greer has more finesse and can play delightfull through balls which have led to some great assists. El-abd on the other hand has made far more crucial challenges than Greer and is stronger despite his size.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Id disagree with that, I feel that El-Abd has been far better than Greer.. However, they compliment each other well. Greer has more finesse and can play delightfull through balls which have led to some great assists. El-abd on the other hand has made far more crucial challenges than Greer and is stronger despite his size.

I think that is perhaps the most stupid thing i have read all day

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think that is perhaps the most stupid thing i have read all day

Really, Adam is clearly our player of the season.

"a cool-headed defender who sets Brighton's passing tone" - spot on. Not only sums up the player but sums up why we are sitting pretty ten points clear at the top of the league.

Looking beyond the fact that he has transformed himself in a manner I struggle to remember with any other player at the club (since I've been watching since the 70s), he is now genuinely a very very good player. Forget how he played in the past, think of him as a new signing - he's superb.

Bennett and Murray are obviously up there, but they've had their periods of inconsistency. El Abd hasn't and it's no surprise he is the first player on the Poyet's team sheet. Why ? he does EXACTLY what he is asked to do without question and does it well. Poyet's golden boy and thoroughly deserved ( unless you know better than Gus.....)

His control is quite brilliant for a defender at this level. Far better on the ball than Elphick and if anyone had suggested that last season they would have been laughed out of town.

A defender built like a brick shit house and comfortable on the ball. He's f**cking gold dust.

Imagine what Poyet could have moulded Oatway or Fraser into ? That's the mark of the man. Not how we are playing, just who he managed to get to play like that. He's a genius.

Last edited:

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
We are all comparing El-abd to what we had all seen of him before. 2 years ago nearly all of us thought he wasnt up to it and he has clearly improved so much under poyet and tano. But, for me, Greer is so integral to our style of play and on the organisation of the defence that without him we would not be top of the league.

80% of our attacks will originate through greer and not with el-abd, i think if you look at the improvements in the number of clean sheets this is as much down to greer as it is to el-abd.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
We are all comparing El-abd to what we had all seen of him before. 2 years ago nearly all of us thought he wasnt up to it and he has clearly improved so much under poyet and tano. But, for me, Greer is so integral to our style of play and on the organisation of the defence that without him we would not be top of the league.

80% of our attacks will originate through greer and not with el-abd, i think if you look at the improvements in the number of clean sheets this is as much down to greer as it is to el-abd.

I'm not and neither is Poyet. I'm convinced the football league didn't think that "oh, he's better this season - let's put him in the team of the season..."

No coincidence why he has received a contract extension and (I repeat) is the player Poyet raves about. Poyet doesn't do sentimentality, he judges on current performance and knows how to build a team. Oatway isn't on the bench for nothing either.

Greer is excellent, but so is El Abd. If anyone is comparing him to seasons of last, it's you.

Last edited:

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Brilliant post

"a cool-headed defender who sets Brighton's passing tone" - spot on. Not only sums up the player but sums up why we are sitting pretty ten points clear at the top of the league.

Looking beyond the fact that he has transformed himself in a manner I struggle to remember with any other player at the club (since I've been watching since the 70s), he is now genuinely a very very good player. Forget how he played in the past, think of him as a new signing - he's superb.

Bennett and Murray are obviously up there, but they've had their periods of inconsistency. El Abd hasn't and it's no surprise he is the first player on the Poyet's team sheet. Why ? he does EXACTLY what he is asked to do without question and does it well. Poyet's golden boy and thoroughly deserved ( unless you know better than Gus.....)

His control is quite brilliant for a defender at this level. Far better on the ball than Elphick and if anyone had suggested that last season they would have been laughed out of town.

A defender built like a brick shit house and comfortable on the ball. He's f**cking gold dust.

Imagine what Poyet could have moulded Oatway or Fraser into ? That's the mark of the man. Not how we are playing, just who he managed to get to play like that. He's a genius.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007

Seagull Special called this a brilliant post. But absolutely no mention of a comparison between Adam and Gordon which was what this particular bit of the thread discussion was all about!! Therefore brilliant as a eulogy to Adam, but how about answering the point- a comparison between the 2 players as to who's been more important to our success this season? Ta.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
So basically, a player of ours gets into the top 10 players of the season... And some NSC complain. Completely in tune with the day to day lunacy we see on here.

Well done Glenn, Elliott and Adam. Fully, fully deserved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here