Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thread of recommended smartphone apps

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm on Android personally, but please feel free to add Apple/Windows apps too:

"Where's my droid", you can text your phone to enable you to find it. The cunning bit is that it turns your sound up to the max, and plays your ring tone. They want to release a version soon where it turns on GPS to help you find it making it an an even cooler piece of kit.

"Sky News" and "BBC Sport News Centre". Two top news apps.

"Wi-fi analyzer" - brilliant app if you need to optimize your wifi at home: Wi-Fi Analyzer Finds the Best Hotspots and Improves Your Home Network

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The BR rail app is brilliant. The next train home button is genius.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
dropbox - like a cloud thing 4gb free put music pics , text files in it on pc and accesss it on your phone
tripit - all those flight and hotel confirmations and itinerary . sign up on line then have access to it all on your phone , they also throw in maps , directions and loads more
last fm
sky + set your sky to record at home from your phone when youre out and about
imdb
flixter movies
angry birds
soccer score litehttp://www.appbrain.com/app/soccer-score-centre-lite/com.pants.sc.lite

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
British Airways new one is class. check in and get your bar code boarding pass and just f*** RIGHT OFF. They are not the first but its certainly the best.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
British Airways new one is class. check in and get your bar code boarding pass and just f*** RIGHT OFF. They are not the first but its certainly the best.

Whilst not an app there are a number of gig ticket agencies which send you a bar code email, so all you need do is flash your phone to get gig entry.

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
ECB Cricket is great for just checking the latest scores in play
Guardian app is also good

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Wordsmith on Android is BRILLIANT. Its basically Scrabble.

My username is Easy10 if anyone's got the minerals.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Handcent - Replaces the default message system and its much much better I think
Astro File Manager - Works just like WIndows Explorer on your PC, can come in handy
Apps Organizer - Organises Apps dunnit! makes like a little easier and you can group Apps together to save on homescreen space.
MSN Talk - MSN Messenger for your phone
3G Watchdog - Presume you have a limit to your net usage? if so you can set this up to record how much you use, of my 1gb limit I used just 30% last month!
MixZing - Great Music Player, now comes with an Equalizer which is great but again bleeds the battery dry but that will improve with updates.
Kaloer Clock - decent night time clock/alarm thing that looks cool!
Mini Info - I've got this on my homescreen, shows Battery %, Disk SPace % and SD Card Space %
ECB Cricket - Fantastic Cricket App
Widget Locker - Turns your Lock Screen into a useful quick App launcher screen
WinAmp - Music Player (I use this one now)
PowerAmp - Music player
Sky+ - Brilliant APP, lets you record programs from anywhere (especially handy if you forget)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
3G Watchdog - Presume you have a limit to your net usage? if so you can set this up to record how much you use, of my 1gb limit I used just 30% last month!
They need to add an "site exceptions" facility though. I have Sky Sports on mine which I use all the time while the Ashes are on, and the bandwidth it uses is separate from my 500mb limit, yet obviously this app doesn't realise that and assumes I'm well over my allowance every month.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
They need to add an "site exceptions" facility though. I have Sky Sports on mine which I use all the time while the Ashes are on, and the bandwidth it uses is separate from my 500mb limit, yet obviously this app doesn't realise that and assumes I'm well over my allowance every month.

yeah that would be cool, I dont actually look at it anymore as I never use above 30% of my allowance!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
iPhone:

Game Dev Story - SO addictive if you're into SIM games
FlickKick Footy - excellent online mode added now so you can play random people online
Mirror's Edge - beautiful

Android:

Taskiller is essential.

The standard of games on iPhone is getting scary now, some are graphically ahead of PS2 games.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Android:

Taskiller is essential.

Thats very debateable, over at the Android Forums thers huge discussion as to whether you need one or not, personally I deleted mine and my phone has performed better. Something to do with the way Android manages Apps, its not like Windows where they hug battery life in the background as they just sit there waiting to be used so laying Dormant, takes more battery to start them back up again so if you keep Task Killing them its battery draining.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fair enough, looks like you're more clued up than me.

Few more iApps:

Sky Mobile TV - LOVE it so much, drains the battery but the ability to watch The Ashes/Live football wherever I am is not to be underestimated.
All the PopCap games are quality (Plants vs Zomies, Peggle etc)
Sonic 2
Infinity Blade - new game from makers of Gears of War, looks visually stunning and quite fun
WhatsApp - free easy instant messaging

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
wavesecure, splash the cash before you lose your phone, or you may just regret it.

Another vote for Dropbox
Camra Good beer guide - Could be a better app, but useful
Kindle - am re-reading the Sherlock Holmes short stories in 5 minute chunks for free.
Shopsavvy barcode - Scan away
DB Navigator - German train times, but covers most of Europe including the UK and does it well.
Bolfish BBC Sports News Center - Nice shortcut widget for BBC sports coverage

More testing required.
Google navigation - Plenty of people won't give a toss, but it irritates me there is no simple option to switch to kilometres
Drivecarefully - I don't spend enough time in the car to know if this is worthwhile. (reads your received messages for you)

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
simply
Doodle Jump, addictive ain't the word

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Love the drumkit on my iphone. I've only got the free version but I have...ahem...riddim.

The paid-for version lets you play along with songs on the ipod and record.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here