Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Thoughts on the ref today?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Clueless, actually. Some curious decisions to give/not to give for both sides.

Offered no protection to players. Didn't even seem to have a word when Burnley players went in dangerously.

Webster was injured. Mac Allister was hurt more than once. Sanchez could have been injured several times too.

At times, ignored things (for both sides) that seemed to be clear fouls, then gave a foul for something really soft. No consistancy in his decisions.

1/10

This. Mac A elbowed in the face twice. The second was a pen.

Basically let too much rough stuff go unpunished. Nothing to do with the result though.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Really poor. Even Peter Walton would have burst out laughing trying to defend that, had it been on BT rather than Sky

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Terrible. Missed all the niggles. Another ref would have given us a lot more and them more cards. We were scared of them, because Burnley were getting away with everything. He also seemed to notice all of our niggly fouls.
We do need to know how to deal with his sort, he will ref us again in the future

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The forearm smash on MacMessi should have been picked up by VAR who appeared not to be watching the game perhaps he'd turned over to watch the Newcastle game

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
He let the game flow and played advantage a few times.

Burnley are a physical side, so we can't expect any extra protection from refs in these games because we play nice football.

There weren't any challenges that were particularly violent - the yellows that were given were merited.

Not a nasty game, just commitment in the tackle. Good to see and a well-earned point.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Terrible - let a lot go that were fouls then gives them the soft push at the end. Let Burnley’s players and coaching staff takeover and get away with murder. Twice Barnes flew in on Sanchez when the ball wasn’t really there to be one - particularly the first one. Very ‘look at me’ too!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I can't believe anyone who thought the ref was 'quite good' actually watched the game. He was shocking, inconsistent and VAR should have got involved for that assault in the 1st half.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He let the game flow and played advantage a few times.

Burnley are a physical side, so we can't expect any extra protection from refs in these games because we play nice football.

There weren't any challenges that were particularly violent - the yellows that were given were merited.

Not a nasty game, just commitment in the tackle. Good to see and a well-earned point.

I disagree. The elbows & forearm smash were violent.
There are concerns about dementia in retired players from heading balls, but injuries to heads are ignored. I would imagine Macallister’s cheekbone has a huge lump on it now.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I disagree. The elbows & forearm smash were violent.
There are concerns about dementia in retired players from heading balls, but injuries to heads are ignored. I would imagine Macallister’s cheekbone has a huge lump on it now.

No problem - it's a game of opinions. And that's unlikely to change anytime soon. :smile:

On one of those occasions, it looked as if the Burnley player was simply trying to muscle past. Nothing violent there for me.

It's a welcome and overdue development that concussion subs will come into the game soon for player protection.

But I don't think it's ever going to be possible to eliminate players colliding. That's what happened today.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thought he was quite good

Replays showed no intent with challenges on MacAllister - just Burnley

Efforts of Anfield showed in second half - good point gained.

Sorry, but the replay with Cork looked 10 times worse and clear intent.
Led with his elbow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
He let a lot go which isn't a bad thing...well maybe it is if you are playing Burnley. Point gained. Move on

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No problem - it's a game of opinions. And that's unlikely to change anytime soon. :smile:

On one of those occasions, it looked as if the Burnley player was simply trying to muscle past. Nothing violent there for me.

It's a welcome and overdue development that concussion subs will come into the game soon for player protection.

But I don't think it's ever going to be possible to eliminate players colliding. That's what happened today.

I can understand accidental elbows when both players are jumping to head a ball, as you need arms to help you get height, but leading with your elbow into a collision when the ball is on the ground is reckless.
Whatever happened to shoulder barges?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
As I said on the match day thread before the game started, it seemed strange that a local referee was allocated the match. Every single 50/50 decision went there way. Burnley would have been relegated a long time ago if referees weren’t scared of Dyche.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here