Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

those f***ing halifax adverts

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
What makes it worse is that I think these people actually work for the Halifax. Why Why Why would you want to embarrass yourself like this. I bet they hardly get any financial reward either. Now if this Rooney or some other star fronting this campaign, what do you think they would get?

In my experience of working with them, all the people in the adverts are staff that get selected/win the chance to be in the adverts as did Howard originally, who now I believe is self employed.

They do not get paid any extra for doing the work but the ones who did the last campaign (about 6) got flown to New Zealand for three weeks where they were taught how to do the arobatics involved in the human sculpture climbing adverts and it gets you away from branch office for a bit.

Apparently it was much cheaper to close down streets, hire crew and extras over there and it looks similar to home.

I do not like the adverts but they have been really succesful attracting customers so for the few people that may move on the back of it they get loads of buisness.

What happens though if you move bank to another companys that then has a crap advert.

Cheshire

Jul 20, 2003
1066 Country
Agree they are cringeworthy and make you want throw the TV out of the window. Worse still you find yourself starting to sing ISA ISA Baby!!!!!!

However as Horton Halftime says as a result they are working - this is not the first tread on NSC about the ads, so it is getting the ads talked about and the Halifax name in peoples mind - so complete success from the advertising agencies point of view.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That's me at pretty much every advert ever, when are they going to invent TVs which switch off when the adverts start? That'd be good.

The have...its called the BBC.

Trouble is , the BBC have their own form of adverts which can be equally annoying

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The GoCompare ones do my head in just as much - I can't believe they are actually paying advertising people to come up with this absolute shite of the highest order.

to be honest, Go Compare and Comparethemarket.com are two genius adverts. They are both really annoying, but in a unsubtle way both try to be annoying, so therefore you remember them

Everyone I know has an opinion on GO Compare and the Meerkat.....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
to be honest, Go Compare and Comparethemarket.com are two genius adverts. They are both really annoying, but in a unsubtle way both try to be annoying, so therefore you remember them

Everyone I know has an opinion on GO Compare and the Meerkat.....

Agreed. And this thread is proof that people then talk about them - the advertising agency have done their job .... and very successfully !

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I agree that the Comparethemarket.com and Gocompare.com adverts are annoying BUT they do work. At the end of the day if you want to do some price comparing online you're just gonna type in the address of whichever one you remember and those stupid catchy ads mean you remember them.

The difference with the Halifax is that WE PAID for them to spunk money up the wall on TERRIBLE adverts and that just makes me even more angry. If you're going to use MY tax money to stay afloat then the first thing I expect is a cut of all non essential expenses, such as SHITHOUSE advertising. Don't actually go out and make new ones that are on air ALL THE TIME because I'm not a mug, I know this COSTS A LOT OF MONEY. Yes you may save money on actors by using your idiot staff members but you are still spending a lot of money on the production and air time bought.

I don't remember authorising this, GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK.

And whilst I remember price comparison websites when it matters all that I remember of the Halifax is that I will NEVER use their services in protest at their PISS POOR advertising. They could offer me the deal of the century on a savings account and I'd still give them a big f*** RIGHT OFF in favour of a bank who aren't total WANKERS

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I like the advert, for some new fangled Reebok fitness trainers, which is basically 40 seconds of close ups, of fit birds' bottoms. :thumbsup:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I agree that the Comparethemarket.com and Gocompare.com adverts are annoying BUT they do work. At the end of the day if you want to do some price comparing online you're just gonna type in the address of whichever one you remember and those stupid catchy ads mean you remember them.

The difference with the Halifax is that WE PAID for them to spunk money up the wall on TERRIBLE adverts and that just makes me even more angry. If you're going to use MY tax money to stay afloat then the first thing I expect is a cut of all non essential expenses, such as SHITHOUSE advertising. Don't actually go out and make new ones that are on air ALL THE TIME because I'm not a mug, I know this COSTS A LOT OF MONEY. Yes you may save money on actors by using your idiot staff members but you are still spending a lot of money on the production and air time bought.

I don't remember authorising this, GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK.

And whilst I remember price comparison websites when it matters all that I remember of the Halifax is that I will NEVER use their services in protest at their PISS POOR advertising. They could offer me the deal of the century on a savings account and I'd still give them a big f*** RIGHT OFF in favour of a bank who aren't total WANKERS

Firstly, if the ad brings extra business into the bank so they can pay back our money then I don't really care how bad they are.

If you really avoid looking at a businesses services on offer because of an advert then you're clearly a bit dim !!! What if they had the best mortgage rate / deal for your circumstances and the next best deal would be £150 per month more - are you really saying you would take the more expensive deal ??? I think not !

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Well seeing as I have no need for Halifax's services it's very difficult for me to judge.

I can quite easily afford to NOT be a customer of theirs and so the choice is made rather simple.

If however I were in a situation where I needed a mortgage and only the Halifax were able to provide it to me then I'd probably be forced into a rethink.

The point I was making is that in a competitive market I AM influenced by advertising and the Halifax's advertising puts me off banking with them which in turn means I go looking to other financial institutions, of which there are more than enough alternatives to choose from.

BUT if the criteria for choosing a bank is based on its service rates beating those of the competition then why do they even need to advertise at all? The modern man pops online to check price comparison sites that advise him of which provider will offer him the best deal and therefore the money they've spunked up the wall on stupid jingles and annoying adverts has made no difference to his decision. Unless of course he is SO enraged by the appalling quality of their adverts that he refuses on principle to bank with them.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
There's nothing more liekly to make me switch channels than a Halifax advert, they are a disgrace. However the old and extremely irritating Confused.com adverts managed to stick in my memory. A good thing too in a twisted way, Confused.com gave me a motor quote that was 30% cheaper than anybody else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here