Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Those Darned Yanks? Endangered English, part 94

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
One of my recurring dreams, being questioned by authorities in America, and demanding an American-English translator before responding to any question.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The idiots that go up to a cafe / takeaway counter and say "can I get....?".

NO! You can't get anything you moron. The assistant behind the counter will get it.

I correct Mr Nickbrighton on this frequently. Why is it so hard to understand that "can i get " and "can I have" have two very different meanings and should elicit a very different response from the recipient. Just once I would love a server to say to someone "No, you can not get it, but I will get it for you"

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I'm super excited - and have been from day one - that this subject is finally out in the open and being run up the flagpole, where we can all finally give it the mainstream attention that it so rightly deserves.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
My least favourite is "period". I have an acquaintance who'll say things like "Zaha is a worse diver than Grealish. Period." Other language appropriation from the US kind of makes sense in that it's bending the rules of grammar or meaning a bit, even if it's annoying, but we literally never use "period" for full stop so it's just a learned contrivance.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
The idiots that go up to a cafe / takeaway counter and say "can I get....?".

NO! You can't get anything you moron. The assistant behind the counter will get it.

I was made to promise not to try to correct my Granddaughters from saying that when we visited over Christmas.
Turns out almost everywhere we went people say that. :censored::censored:

Even people old enough to have learned to speak in an age before the US started to influence our language.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
World shortage of 's's?

Exactly, the twats

Eraser (rubber)
Trunk (boot)
Hood (bonnet)
Flashlight
Aluminum

Are just five that annoy me, there are plenty more

Oh and color and rain check grrrrr

Chill factor is an Americanism I like though :smile:

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
When Charles Dickens came back from touring the USA he introduced several Dreadful Americanisms in to the English Language; words such as 'lengthy', 'international', and 'influential'. They're all accepted 'English' words now.

But yes, whilst I acknowledge that the language must evolve (and it's a good thing too), I do sympathise with the OP and I do wince occasionally, especially when I think the speaker is simply saying it for effect. My own pet hates:

Can I get? = Please may I have
Ten after eight = Ten past eight
Upcoming = Forthcoming
Grilled cheese = Toasted cheese
Dropped = Released
"Brighton has a tricky game" = "Brighton have a tricky game" (Sports teams being referred to as singular entities).

And of course sometime the meaning is completely different. If we hear that something has been 'slated' it usually means it's been criticised, but Americans use it to mean 'earmarked'.
(Mind you I do use American spellings a lot! A legacy of having to write code without a self-correcting gui).

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have a dear, close friend in Arkansas and I "talk yank" to her because it is easier than speaking English and then trying to explain it to her. I have told her that we are quite happy for them to speak English but to "use it properly or go and get your own language"!!:D

"I'm fixing to go out / have dinner" etc particularly irk.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have a dear, close friend in Arkansas and I "talk yank" to her because it is easier than speaking English and then trying to explain it to her. I have told her that we are quite happy for them to speak English but to "use it properly or go and get your own language"!!:D

"I'm fixing to go out / have dinner" etc particularly irk.

Works on this song though :smile:

https://youtu.be/eRl6-bHlz-4

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My least favourite is "period". I have an acquaintance who'll say things like "Zaha is a worse diver than Grealish. Period." Other language appropriation from the US kind of makes sense in that it's bending the rules of grammar or meaning a bit, even if it's annoying, but we literally never use "period" for full stop so it's just a learned contrivance.

the worst thing about this trait is that in writing we'd use the "!" to convey strong emphasis on the sentance. not only wierd to say the punctuation, its the wrong one.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When Charles Dickens came back from touring the USA he introduced several Dreadful Americanisms in to the English Language; words such as 'lengthy', 'international', and 'influential'. They're all accepted 'English' words now.

But yes, whilst I acknowledge that the language must evolve (and it's a good thing too), I do sympathise with the OP and I do wince occasionally, especially when I think the speaker is simply saying it for effect. My own pet hates:

Can I get? = Please may I have
Ten after eight = Ten past eight
Upcoming = Forthcoming
Grilled cheese = Toasted cheese
Dropped = Released
"Brighton has a tricky game" = "Brighton have a tricky game" (Sports teams being referred to as singular entities)]].

And of course sometime the meaning is completely different. If we hear that something has been 'slated' it usually means it's been criticised, but Americans use it to mean 'earmarked'.
(Mind you I do use American spellings a lot! A legacy of having to write code without a self-correcting gui).

'Team' is singular - so 'Brighton (as in Brighton's team) has a tricky fixture' is correct (although admittedly it doesn't sound quite right).

'Players' on the other hand is a plural word - so if your 'Brighton' is referring to 'Brighton players' then they do correcty have a tricky fixture.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
'Team' is singular - so 'Brighton (as in Brighton's team) has a tricky fixture' is correct (although admittedly it doesn't sound quite right).

It doesn't sound right as in British English we tend to use a plural verb with collective nouns. Using the 3rd person with one is jarringly American. "The staff is nice" :(

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Surely, it crops up about once a month. Period.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here