Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This week's 1901 meal

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Yes. I know.

But at the same as half of them are complaining about the quality and the choice, the other half are saying that £14 is 'too expensive'. They are never all going to be happy.

And the point they are making is the 1901 wasn't sold as a corporate area, it wasn't offered to corporates first and it isn't full of corporates, so why are they targeting corporates? It's a valid point.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And the point they are making is the 1901 wasn't sold as a corporate area, it wasn't offered to corporates first and it isn't full of corporates, so why are they targeting corporates? It's a valid point.

They recognise that the 1901 clientelle is a mix of business and fans treating themselves, which is why they are now targetting BOTH groups, with a choice of sit down corporate deal, and £12 / £14 self service options. So its not a valid point - that is all covered. As I said, anybody moaning about THE PRICE of a £12 / £14 meal in that captive environment is LITERALLY never going to be satisfied with the outcome. That price is very competitive. What seemingly is NOT acceptable, is the quality and presentation of that meal. My point is that people need to concentrate their criticism / complaints / comments on the right angle.

People moaning about that price will be simply ignored by the club / caterers because they read it and think "we simply cannot achieve what this person wants".

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
They recognise that the 1901 clientelle is a mix of business and fans treating themselves, which is why they are now targetting BOTH groups, with a choice of sit down corporate deal, and £12 / £14 self service options. So its not a valid point - that is all covered. As I said, anybody moaning about THE PRICE of a £12 / £14 meal in that captive environment is LITERALLY never going to be satisfied with the outcome. That price is very competitive. What seemingly is NOT acceptable, is the quality and presentation of that meal. My point is that people need to concentrate their criticism / complaints / comments on the right angle.

People moaning about that price will be simply ignored by the club / caterers because they read it and think "we simply cannot achieve what this person wants".

Once again you are spot on

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not bad but I'm waiting for TLO's £6 pp offering. I must admit I do drool when he talks food.

A f**k off great big paella.

Tuck in.

paella.jpg

It's not just about who they are targeting. It's about who is actually buying the product.

It seems quite clear that that the big problem the Club has to solve is how to get former customers to return and take up one of the options that will deliver satisfaction and a profit. The other problem is how the Club can achieve this AND contain costs.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Are the sit-down 60 and 90 pound meals part of this? They were not for the opening two seasons.
Never had one so couldn't tell you I'm afraid. All I know is that cashback for 1901 has not changed unlike everywhere else.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's not just about who they are targeting. It's about who is actually buying the product.

It seems quite clear that that the big problem the Club has to solve is how to get former customers to return and take up one of the options that will deliver satisfaction and a profit. The other problem is how the Club can achieve this AND contain costs.

Obviously.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Are the sit-down 60 and 90 pound meals part of this? They were not for the opening two seasons.
Here is all I know from an email from a couple of weeks ago:

We will be operating the new e-cash system tomorrow, which will be more rewarding to those fans arriving earlier and staying later. Click here for full details.

This will only affect 1901 Club members in the retail areas and will remain the same in the hospitality lounges. By using your smartcard to buy food and drink within the stadium you can earn a degree of cashback - and queuing time is significantly reduced. If you've not done it before, here is how you do it:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Here is all I know from an email from a couple of weeks ago:

We will be operating the new e-cash system tomorrow, which will be more rewarding to those fans arriving earlier and staying later. Click here for full details.

This will only affect 1901 Club members in the retail areas and will remain the same in the hospitality lounges. By using your smartcard to buy food and drink within the stadium you can earn a degree of cashback - and queuing time is significantly reduced. If you've not done it before, here is how you do it:

OK, thanks for this. I'm new to 1901 (previously in ESU) and have yet to have made the mailing list, so had not seen this email saying that food and drink in 1901 would remain at a flat 10% cash-back, and not the new tiered level. I wonder why the difference?

So, then a £12 meal becomes £10.80 after cash-back. I don't think that materially alters the point I was making.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Yep - that's how I see it too. Personally, I have no problem paying £10.80 (after 10% cash-back) for a GBK-like burger, providing the food quality is roughly on a par with GBK and it's served hot (last week it was lukewarm).

Foe those that want a cheaper option, the pies are just fine and at concourse prices.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
£14 seems about right for Gourmet food. Lasagne & chips is not Gourmet food.

I think that sums up the problem nicely.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
OK, thanks for this. I'm new to 1901 (previously in ESU) and have yet to have made the mailing list, so had not seen this email saying that food and drink in 1901 would remain at a flat 10% cash-back, and not the new tiered level. I wonder why the difference?

So, then a £12 meal becomes £10.80 after cash-back. I don't think that materially alters the point I was making.

Because a lot of 1901's eat before 13:30 - especially the premium meal deals? So they would end up giving 15% off to too many people?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

This has to be true too. At the moment, the strategy seems to be for the club to demonstrate that the prices aren't that out of line for the offering. As HKFC says, the quality for those prices needs to be appropriate and it probably isn't at the moment.

All the time that people think they should be able to get sirloin steak and chips for a fiver in 1901 (as a poster has said), the club simply can't win.

So, my perspective is that the club needs to ensure decent quality for its offerings, and the price points seem to be about right (no comment on the £90 offering - never seen it). At the same time 1901 members need to accept that price points of £4 (pie), £12 (meal), £14 (meal), £19 (2 course meal), £60 (is there an offering here??) and £90 pretty much cover all the bases of life-long Albion fan through to proper corporate entertaining.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

As a group of members, we accepted the £40 offer of the past 2 seasons, as it was suposed to be a bit of fune, a luxury once in a while, and we could just about justify the cost, table service, 3 courses, mini-pie at HT, cakes at FT etc. The new offer of £90 is just too much for us to consider. The £60 offer, which is rouglhy similar to last seasons £40 offer, minus the mini pie and cakes, is a worse offer, 50% more expensive, so isn't going to get any schrift from us.

This brings us onto the buffet, well, it's not a buffet is it? It's a slice of salf beef and some chips, OR a bit of lasagne and chips (grim) OR a bit of veggie Lasagne with rice (really?). It is basically a canteen meal, served under heat lamps, by disinterested staff, and according to ALL reports I've heard, is poor quality. Why would we want to pay for this, regardless of the price, it is simply not an option that appeals in any way shape or form. Whether it's £19 for three dollops of food, or £14 for two, it holds no interest whatsoever. I think this is why it is deemed too expensive by some, and it is.

If it was a proper buffet, with all sorts of choice of freshly prepared grub, a salad bar, pizza, pasta, bangers, ribs, even a quiche (get me), a bit of a sense of occasion, then the £14 might seem viable, so long as you knew you were going to get somewhere to sit while you ate it.

All I can say is thank goodness for The Swan

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
£14 seems about right for Gourmet food. Lasagne & chips is not Gourmet food.

I think that sums up the problem nicely.

Part of the problem is unrealistic expectation, and in your quote "£14 seems about right for gourmet food", you have indeed 'summed up the problem nicely'. :thumbsup:

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Part of the problem is unrealistic expectation, and in your quote "£14 seems about right for gourmet food", you have indeed 'summed up the problem nicely'. :thumbsup:

Who has the 'unrealistic expectations' will be demonstrated by the take up over the next few months. If the numbers are good then the club got it right and if virtually noone eats then the club got it wrong. If the latter proves the case then it will be up to the club to put it right. If by then most potential 1901 diners have found alternative arrangements that suit them and have become loyal to, then thats the club's loss. We are customers after all.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
As a group of members, we accepted the £40 offer of the past 2 seasons, as it was suposed to be a bit of fune, a luxury once in a while, and we could just about justify the cost, table service, 3 courses, mini-pie at HT, cakes at FT etc. The new offer of £90 is just too much for us to consider. The £60 offer, which is rouglhy similar to last seasons £40 offer, minus the mini pie and cakes, is a worse offer, 50% more expensive, so isn't going to get any schrift from us.

I can well see that members of 1901 in previous seasons may well have a different perspective from a new member (me). I don't have that comparison to make, so can only compare it to many other sports events that I have attended at other locations. Making that comparison leads me to conclude that the price points of £4, £12, £14 & £19 are eminently reasonable. The quality should be higher for that price though. If this season's £60 deal is both 50% more costly and provides less food than last season's, I can absolutely see why you would be agitated. I also agree that £40 is doable occasionally for an individual fan as a treat, whereas £60 will, most likely, reduce the uptake considerably

This brings us onto the buffet, well, it's not a buffet is it? It's a slice of salf beef and some chips, OR a bit of lasagne and chips (grim) OR a bit of veggie Lasagne with rice (really?). It is basically a canteen meal, served under heat lamps, by disinterested staff, and according to ALL reports I've heard, is poor quality. Why would we want to pay for this, regardless of the price, it is simply not an option that appeals in any way shape or form. Whether it's £19 for three dollops of food, or £14 for two, it holds no interest whatsoever. I think this is why it is deemed too expensive by some, and it is.

You seem to making the same point as HKFC; it's not the price points per se that are the issue, it's that the quality for those prices is too low. If so, I'd agree.

If it was a proper buffet, with all sorts of choice of freshly prepared grub, a salad bar, pizza, pasta, bangers, ribs, even a quiche (get me), a bit of a sense of occasion, then the £14 might seem viable, so long as you knew you were going to get somewhere to sit while you ate it.

The wastage (or unavailability) due to inability to accurately forecast the demand for each individual component of the array of food you suggest would probably mean the price point would need to be higher than £14 - perhaps £20? I'd certainly like to see some sort of proper buffet offered.

All I can say is thank goodness for The Swan

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here