Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This summer’s squad rebuild

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Our squad rebuild seems in part to be moving out every player who speaks Spanish. There was a time when we our squad was absolutely stuffed full of them, but then Cucurella went on strike, Bruno buggered off with Potter, Caicedo went on strike, Mac Allister refused to sign a new contract without a player-friendly release clause, Sanchez had a strop and who knows what went on with Fati behind the scenes. They're too much to handle! So now we've shifted Buonnaotte and Barco out on loan, waved goodbye to Lallana, signed a new left-back to take Pervis' place and who knows where Enciso is right now.... Instead we're going full on Northwest Europe with a big helping of Africa.

And although I write this mainly in jest, maybe they did all get a bit clique-y and all these shenanigans got a bit wearing? maybe Ronald is becoming too much of a threat to our social media team?

Last edited:

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Our squad rebuild seems in part to be moving out every player who speaks Spanish. There was a time when we our squad was absolutely stuffed full of them, but then Cucurella went on strike, Bruno buggered off with Potter, Caicedo went on strike, Mac Allister refused to sign a new contract without a player-friendly release clause, Sanchez had a strop and who knows what went on with Fati behind the scenes. So now we've shifted Buonnaotte and Barco out on loan, waved goodbye to Lallana, signed a new left-back to take Pervis' place and who knows where Enciso is right now.... Instead we're going full on Northwest Europe with a big helping of Africa.

And although I write this mainly in jest, maybe they did all get a bit clique-y? maybe Ronald is becoming too much of a threat to our social media team?
Worth remembering that in the last few seasons we tend to make our moves for South American wonderkids in the January window, i.e. their summer break.

Yes we've lost several recently but there are sporadic rumours still now and then, and Barco and Buonanotte will hopefully return better than before.

If Estupinan can regain his pre-injury form he's a prime candidate for a big 2025 sale.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Our squad rebuild seems in part to be moving out every player who speaks Spanish. There was a time when we our squad was absolutely stuffed full of them, but then Cucurella went on strike, Bruno buggered off with Potter, Caicedo went on strike, Mac Allister refused to sign a new contract without a player-friendly release clause, Sanchez had a strop and who knows what went on with Fati behind the scenes. So now we've shifted Buonnaotte and Barco out on loan, waved goodbye to Lallana, signed a new left-back to take Pervis' place and who knows where Enciso is right now.... Instead we're going full on Northwest Europe with a big helping of Africa.
Suddenly, other PL teams are fishing in South America, and South American club owners have wised up to the fact that there's a lot of money to be made.
And although I write this mainly in jest, maybe they did all get a bit clique-y and all these shenanigans got a bit wearing? maybe Ronald is becoming too much of a threat to our social media team?
Bo11ocks! :lolol:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I know negotiations take time, but some are taking more than others!

WBG - well, is he actually going?
Kadioglu - when, if ever, will we actually see him holding up the shirt and looking pleased with himself?
O'Riley - is he or isn't he?
Olivier Boscagli - all gone very quiet..........
....................and as for Hummels??

Going to be a busy week from now - up to ten to go out on loan would be my guess - and please will somebody buy Dahoud? - or at least start a positive rumour about somebody interested in him!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

Kadioglu - when, if ever, will we actually see him holding up the shirt and looking pleased with himself?

Going to be a busy week from now - up to ten to go out on loan would be my guess - and please will somebody buy Dahoud? - or at least start a positive rumour about somebody interested in him!
Diego Gomez ?

That seemed totally done - but not a whisper now.

Maybe it is O'Riley OR Gomez ? ???

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

I want this next week to be over, because every year at this stage, I'm trying to concentrate on work, but am refreshing NSC every half-hour in the hope of a post confirming that a rumored transfer target has actually singed - and then feeling disappointed when they haven't!

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
Our squad rebuild seems in part to be moving out every player who speaks Spanish. There was a time when we our squad was absolutely stuffed full of them, but then Cucurella went on strike, Bruno buggered off with Potter, Caicedo went on strike, Mac Allister refused to sign a new contract without a player-friendly release clause, Sanchez had a strop and who knows what went on with Fati behind the scenes. They're too much to handle! So now we've shifted Buonnaotte and Barco out on loan, waved goodbye to Lallana, signed a new left-back to take Pervis' place and who knows where Enciso is right now.... Instead we're going full on Northwest Europe with a big helping of Africa.

Didn’t they have this problem at Swansea some years back. If I remember correctly there were two camps within the squad the Spanish speaking group v the rest. The atmosphere was toxic and the situation was never resolved.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021

I am quite surprised we haven't bought at least one centre half so far this window.
I think it is an obvious area to strengthen, or at least prepare for the future.
Whisper it quietly, but we need succession planning for Dunk, who is now probably past his peak. Great leader, but now struggling to play consistently over a whole season.
And if JPVH has the season we all hope for then there is a good chance he will be sold for big money to Liverpool, Man U etc.

Therefore, I was expecting us to buy one experienced centre half such as Boscagli (possibly with Igor on way out) and one under the radar young player to develop (as we did with JPVH a few seasons ago).

AZGull and GT49er would have a better perspective than me, but at the moment I don't see any centre half in the current U21s likely to step up any time soon.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I am quite surprised we haven't bought at least one centre half so far this window.
I think it is an obvious area to strengthen, or at least prepare for the future.
Whisper it quietly, but we need succession planning for Dunk, who is now probably past his peak. Great leader, but now struggling to play consistently over a whole season.
And if JPVH has the season we all hope for then there is a good chance he will be sold for big money to Liverpool, Man U etc.

Therefore, I was expecting us to buy one experienced centre half such as Boscagli (possibly with Igor on way out) and one under the radar young player to develop (as we did with JPVH a few seasons ago).

AZGull and GT49er would have a better perspective than me, but at the moment I don't see any centre half in the current U21s likely to step up any time soon.
I really think Dunk is going to surprise a lot of people this season. The NSC group-think that Dunk is past his best is nonsense, in my opinion. Ask any CB in world football to do what Dunk was told to do by RDZ last season, and I'd wager every single one of them would struggle. I think he's going to have a great season this year. People were writing Gross off 3 seasons ago saying he was past his best.

Last edited:

Shins

Aug 13, 2015
Maybe not quite as incredible as seems, at least financially.

Club made record profit £123m to 30/6/2024. £33m was repaid to TB, so £90m left (assume no corporation tax due to accrued losses). Caicedo sale was not in 2024 numbers as completed in August, so add £115m. Simplistically, that makes for a £205m war chest. Some will go on wages (though Lallana going helped with that) but a net spend of £200m is not unrealistic, This equates to £230m outgoing fees due to PG and Undav incoming fees, and possibly more to come (WBG, Adingra?). And there will be more loans for sure to lighten the wage bill.

Add to that the points others made: supporting FH; opportunity to take advantage of PSR problems for other clubs; less competitive market due to PSR; the reality that Europe is a closer dream than maybe thought 3 seasons ago; and it all makes sense.
Sanchez was also not in the 2024 numbers?

We'll be looking at a net spend this window of about 120m, but with the backdrop of the previous profits you've outlined.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Why is it that you're surprised that we haven't bought a CB before the window is closed? Might it be better to wait a week or so?
Freddie Simmonds is highly rated, but probably one or two seasons away.
We'll see if you're right on Dunk but, unlike @Commander, I haven't detected any NSC 'groupthink' that he's past it. I will take a punt and say that JPvH is our best CB currently -- might be proved wrong.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why is it that you're surprised that we haven't bought a CB before the window is closed? Might it be better to wait a week or so?
We'll see if you're right on Dunk but, unlike @Commander, I haven't detected any NSC 'groupthink' that he's past it. I will take a punt and say that JPvH is our best CB currently -- might be proved wrong.
I've read it on here many times that Dunk is on the way down. People spoke loads about it last year when he made mistakes. I don't buy it, I reckon he has a couple of good seasons left in him yet.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
Didn’t they have this problem at Swansea some years back. If I remember correctly there were two camps within the squad the Spanish speaking group v the rest. The atmosphere was toxic and the situation was never resolved.
It is more of a Dutch coven now...

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I've read it on here many times that Dunk is on the way down. People spoke loads about it last year when he made mistakes. I don't buy it, I reckon he has a couple of good seasons left in him yet.
I don't think Dunk is past it, i.e not good enough for the PL. However injuries and lets be honest here, age are starting to take their toll.Will he play 30+ league games this season? I am not so sure.
Now I still think Dunk is a top defender who could go on a for a few more years, but I would like us to have someone quick alongside him.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
You are right, we still have a week. The surprise is we have been so active to improve Forward roles and to some extent midfield, but not yet reinforced the defence. We shall see. Hopefully some incomings soon.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
Not after the last two windows 🤣 Can anyone make sense of the famine to feast strategy. I’m going to be a bit basic and say it’s the club tacitly admitting that not enough was ventured before
Something to do with making all that Chelsea money count. if we leave that surplus until it falls out the time frame then spunking 130 million could get us in trouble with the FFP whatnot, dont know if its 3 or 5 years.

huzzah

Sep 8, 2023
Something to do with making all that Chelsea money count. if we leave that surplus until it falls out the time frame then spunking 130 million could get us in trouble with the FFP whatnot, dont know if its 3 or 5 years.
how many did we sell them?
1724416743464.png

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And although I write this mainly in jest, maybe they did all get a bit clique-y and all these shenanigans got a bit wearing?

Nah. Bruno loved it here and he simply took an option to go with Potter (much like Gross loved it here, but couldn't ignore the offer from Dortmund). Alexis also did everything right. Quite different to Cuckoo and Caicedo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here