Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This summer’s squad rebuild

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Found it very strange that after all the players in and a new balance to the squad and team, We then go and start a CM at LB at Everton.

We need another CM and defence needs 1 or 2
Even if we sign recognised ‘full backs’, we’ll still have games where we play midfielders or centre backs there.

The game is far more fluid these days and teams will play players at full back recognised as playing elsewhere usually. You’ll see Arsenal and Man City playing four centre backs in a back four in most games this season as well as midfielders at full back.

And to be honest, as someone else posted the other day, as far as we’re concerned at the moment, Hinshelwood is a full/wing back, not a midfielder.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They say Chelsea want to replicate our model of being profitable. How does that reflect badly on us?
There seems to be a thriving market in other EPL teams tracking the Albion's algorithm. And why not? Why develop a very costly and very expensive-to-maintain algorithm of your own when you can just shadow the targets spat out by the Albion's algorithm and published earlydoors on here. It's worked out very well for Todd and Ashworth thus far. Tho we invariably manage to put one over on those losers anyways ha ha

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
My point was we are being bracketed with them and their model doesn’t work. Seeing that in print gives me the shivers.
Its nonsense. They might want to be profitable too but they haven't copied our model. Copied some of our targets and taken some of our talent while spending beyond what they can afford from a compliance perspective. I don't see any similarities whatsoever.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agreed, top 8 is a tough task. We would still be finishing above sides that would expect to finish above us, or at least think they should.

I've had a bit of a moment. I was thinking top 6 for Europe, but it's top 8 isn't it (assuming the cups are won by top clubs). There are 8 clubs expected to do better than us, but 8th is a realistic goal.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Did you feel like it was no longer your team when Lloyd brought in a whole new squad - Nelson, Bremner, Rougvie, Dublin, Isaac's etc. Or Mickey Adams squad overhaul, or when Bruno, Bridge etc? I always find this kind of thing unbelievably exciting and my obsession will soon have me rattling off the whole squad to any poor sod that mentions football to me.
Fergie said even if the side is winning trophies squads quickly go stale and need new bodies in. Last season we were crap towards the end and with 15 points to play for it appeared the manager and players had thrown in the towel. It had to be done for progression. Competition in every position is a must if we are aiming for the top six.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
I've had a bit of a moment. I was thinking top 6 for Europe, but it's top 8 isn't it (assuming the cups are won by top clubs). There are 8 clubs expected to do better than us, but 8th is a realistic goal.
Indeed, my league prediction is 8th with a strong cup run that takes us to Wembley for at least the semi-finals.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
OK, OK, let me be more specific… I think many of us thought 100m+ wasn’t so far fetched. (Including myself.) That would’ve been of very little surprise. We’ve come close or even exceeded that in the past I think (maybe?) BUT 200m+ …provide me with a quote to that affect and I will belive your bullshit! (…but I’d still of said you’re deluded haha) 😏

You can’t say that you predicted 200m+ (when infact you only predicted 100m+) 🙄
Are we expecting to get close to £200m? I can't keep up.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I always felt that at some point he would "go for it". Perhaps a bit surprised that is now with a brand new manager, but it's a very big sign that he massively rates his new manager.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Isn’t 8th dependent on the UEFA coefficient points?

i.e we will need English teams in this years European competitions to do well.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
City
Arsenal
Liverpool
Spurs
Chelsea
Villa
Newcastle
West Ham
Man U

All 9 SHOULD really finish above us.... not to say they will, they will certainly expect too as will most observers from the outside.

And then there are a few other clubs also thinking if we get it right we can finish above Brighton...

This division is so tough, hence Tony going above and beyond this window just to give us a chance.

Top 10 is still awesome in my eyes playing good football, anything more than that is exceptional.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Isn’t 8th dependent on the UEFA coefficient points?

i.e we will need English teams in this years European competitions to do well.
No (Edit - yes)

4 CL, 1 Europa, 1 Conf.
Then 2 cups.

Right?
(Edit - wrong)

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
City
Arsenal
Liverpool
Spurs
Chelsea
Villa
Newcastle
West Ham
Man U

All 9 SHOULD really finish above us.... not to say they will, they will certainly expect too as will most observers from the outside.

But the odds of us finishing top 6 are shorter than Wet Sham.

Top 10 is still awesome in my eyes playing good football, anything more than that is exceptional.

I think Top 9 is awesome. Even shit clubs can fluke a top 10.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
City
Arsenal
Liverpool
Spurs
Chelsea
Villa
Newcastle
West Ham
Man U

And then there are a few other clubs also thinking if we get it right we can finish above Brighton...

This division is so tough, hence Tony going above and beyond this window just to give us a chance.

I hope we take both cups seriously

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here