Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This summer’s squad rebuild

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Anyone that says (all two of you thus far) that they knew this was coming is deluded, no that’s not it, you’re full of sh!t.
Well, I said already in the beginning of the transfer window that at least £100m would be spent.
We're going to spend at least £100m this summer without letting much go. We go into the transfer window where due to the changing financial landscape we're in a very, very strong position and we'll use it wisely.

Yes, looking at the market, our team and the finances... as I've said elsewhere we're going to spend a lot of money, at least £100m.

Roberto De Zerbi was quite clear that he wanted to sign players he picked. He talked a lot about how we watches videos of players etc but that the club has a different way. And you could sort of read through the lines that he didn't like it.

The next manager will get a lot of support from Tony, as would Roberto at this stage if he didn't think he was God, but we're not signing any more Dahouds and Igors. "Fun" experiment but we're going back to the algorithms.

I know I was tempted to write "a £100m transfer deficit" but chickened out to "spend at least £100m".

I understand its completely surreal to most, but to a newer pair of eyes everything pointed to a shopping spree.

Things were already strongly leaning in that direction, and when Everton got their point deduction in November, it was clear the market would change completely (for a while... things will be back to normal). The general assumption that the financial fairness-systems were going to result in fines, transfer bans or - worst case - not competing in European competitions was one thing. When it turned out they're actually going to take points away if you don't keep your finances in check, well that was not really expected and a real game changer.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Masterclass from TB.

I think some feared that Winstanley and Jewell going to Chelsea would have a negative impact on recruitment especially if they were aware of targets.

Tony is a genius on so many levels that we are now stronger than ever. Astounding amount of work, and the exit door will now be in operation as well for the rest of the window to balance both squad size and the books.

He didn’t even need to sell Lancing or the women’s team to himself to make it all happen.

TB operates on different levels.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
So im basically on board with all the giddy happy-go-lucky sentiment here, but I suppose one should also consider all possibilities.

Could it be that the repeated poaching of our recruitment team, Ashworth, other backroom staff has led to a little loss of control here, with some targets being overvalued, and a surplus of players being signed in forward positions? We've spent a lot of money on Rutter, Minteh, ACD, Osman and Gruda, who all play in similar positions, without moving on any of the other seven good players we already have occupying those positions. Have we gone a bit 'kid in a sweetshop' here?
It’s an interesting theory. Slight concern. Against that, we don’t know who is leaving yet and a few of the signings are future-proofing us against sales in seasons to come.

We’ve said in the past that sometimes opportunities present themselves in the market that you don’t expect. I wonder if that’s the case on a couple and circumstances have simply aligned in our favour (PSR/our profit/attainable release clause).

I sense there’s a kick in the nuts coming with at least one popular player sold, but Tony’s thoughtfully given us a nice big box to cushion the blow.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Anyone that says (all two of you thus far) that they knew this was coming is deluded, no that’s not it, you’re full of sh!t.
No BS in me.

I’ve explained why I saw it coming potentially. There were obvious signs. But I also said I’d believe it when I saw it.

The targets for the club are humongous

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I always thought that we had a chance of getting some real bargains this summer due to ffp/psr on all other teams with us the only ones with any real cash. I didn't expect this many though but extremely happy, especially if we get the last 2 over the line!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Somebody said on here the other week that they thought TB was running the equivalent of a stud farm (except without the sex!) It does have that feel to it. Certainly a huge number of thoroughbreds coming on board, most of whom will only increase steeply in value. Whether they can be blended into a successful winning team remains to be seen. Will be fascinating to watch how FH rises to that challenge

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Masterclass from TB.

I think some feared that Winstanley and Jewell going to Chelsea would have a negative impact on recruitment especially if they were aware of targets.

Tony is a genius on so many levels that we are now stronger than ever. Astounding amount of work, and the exit door will now be in operation as well for the rest of the window to balance both squad size and the books.

He didn’t even need to sell Lancing or the women’s team to himself to make it all happen.

TB operates on different levels.
I agree @El Presidente and would love your view on this. It feels like this is related to FFP (our war chest and others limitations) but I just can't put the pieces together.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Without Todd’s Chelsea this summer window doesn’t happen, don’t get the silly pretend Chelsea rivalry they’ve funded all these exciting incoming transfers.
There isn't a rivalry, though. A rivalry has to be two-way, and Chelsea supporters on the whole (*) are so far stuck up their own arses that they have only a vague comprehension of who Brighton are other than that annoying little club that keeps selling them duds at over inflated prices. There's much to despise about Chelsea FC, and I think most sane football fans across the board are astonished and appalled by the way they are carrying on. But at the end of the day we seem to be the main beneficiaries of their stupidity, and hopefully they will blithely carry on digging their own grave.

(*) - an unfair sweeping generalisation which probably should be applied to their remote, global fan base. ( I hate sweeping generalisations).

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Somebody said on here the other week that they thought TB was running the equivalent of a stud farm (except without the sex!) It does have that feel to it. Certainly a huge number of thoroughbreds coming on board, most of whom will only increase steeply in value. Whether they can be blended into a successful winning team remains to be seen. Will be fascinating to watch how FH rises to that challenge
When we signed Gyokeres, his girlfriend came with him and signed for the women's team.

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
I honestly think RDZ’s departure was the catalyst for this. TB felt that this was the time to ‘go big’ and bought in a manager he felt was able to push the club on with the recruitment that HE wanted and believed in.
its since turned out RDZ bullied the younger players , FH i dont think will do that he seems to have the ideas planning and sharp edge to control himself , some of saturday decisions demonstrate strong leadership and common sense

huzzah

Sep 8, 2023
Warren Buffet says that the real reason that he was successful, was when he partnered with Charlie Munger, and Munger convinced him to change his strategy from looking for good companies at great prices, to looking for great companies at good prices. I wonder if we have (at least temporarily) decided to do that with players.

huzzah

Sep 8, 2023
Warren Buffet says that the real reason that he was successful, was when he partnered with Charlie Munger, and Munger convinced him to change his strategy from looking for good companies at great prices, to looking for great companies at good prices. I wonder if we have (at least temporarily) decided to do that with players.
(his quote about being fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful, maybe also applies here)

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Did anyone honestly see a rebuild of this magnitude, scale and expense happening this summer?
I mentioned on the Rutter thread, I was chatting to someone who works for the club and they said that internally the club's ambition is to be in the Champions League by 2030. Which seems to fit with the scale and magnitude of our summer transfer window. We're building a squad here that is going to get better and better.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I agree @El Presidente and would love your view on this. It feels like this is related to FFP (our war chest and others limitations) but I just can't put the pieces together.
I'm no EP but it was always clear that two highly profitable sets of accounts not only gave us cashflow but a significant advantage on bigger and richer clubs in PSR trouble (hello Newcastle).

It won't last. City's lawyers and Newcastle's client journalists will soon ensure that you can spend what you like if you have it.

This is TB getting ahead of the curve in a window he knew we'd face less competition for the big targets in. It's a master stroke and RDZ should have understood it instead of sulking, but it won't last. Next summer, back to having our targets poached I reckon.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I mentioned on the Rutter thread, I was chatting to someone who works for the club and they said that internally the club's ambition is to be in the Champions League by 2030. Which seems to fit with the scale and magnitude of our summer transfer window. We're building a squad here that is going to get better and better.
Champions League is a future target but 'Europe again' is also a current one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here