Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] This summer’s squad rebuild

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
In short no I didn't see it coming, I doubt many did and whilst you can only truly ever judge a transfer window's success by how many of those players fit in to the squad and have a real impact, the very fact that we're playing in the £100m-£200m transfer window stakes at all is almost completely unfathomable to me.

What a time to be a Brighton fan!!

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
I expected us to spend a bit but if the final 3 we are linked with all arrive that would have been an incredible transfer window beyond anything I’d have imagined.

Can only assume TB thinks this is the summer to gamble. We have cash to use, other clubs are hard up against it and there appears to be some genuine value around. With the new rules next year I assume our spending power will decrease so Tony is building a squad not just for now but years to come.

Has also allowed us to loan out Goodnight to Leicester where he looks like he will get minutes and I suspect a few more will go get game time as well at PL level potentially.

succession planning this summer has been off the chart -
You look around the squad and think there is quality in most positions and if we get those final 3 over the line the talent available will be insane.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
We also now have some serious pull, we have gone after top signings before but have fallen short. I also feel that he wanted to give Huertzler every opportunity to succeed and with our poor second half of last season there was a serious risk of a relegation fight this year.

The signing of Minteh signaled our intent and our ability to persuade top draw players to join has seen a seismic shift in our model. Exciting times in deed.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I honestly think RDZ’s departure was the catalyst for this. TB felt that this was the time to ‘go big’ and bought in a manager he felt was able to push the club on with the recruitment that HE wanted and believed in.
Perfect timing..change of manager has enabled a push to get more PL ready starters.. BIG changes in recruitment strategy

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
These idiot content creators…they don’t genuinely, hand on heart, believe we’re gonna fail, but how DESPERATELY(!) do they ‘want’ us to. Why? Cause we’re proving season after season that you don’t have to spunk stupid amounts of money in the hope(!) that you can be competitive. We just continue more and more to show them up for what they are, spenders. Paying through the nose to win, or in some cases, lose! THEY HATE US!! (And I LOVE IT!!) 🤣

Last edited:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Lots of loans and sales to come.

I suspect Celtic are quite keen on a few of our players whom could easily smash the MTL (Lamptey, Igor, Gilmour, Dahoud, Moder, Sima). That might be why the O’Riley deal is taking so long.
Gilmour to Celtic? ???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
These idiot content creators…they don’t genuinely, hand on heart, believe we’re gonna fail, but how DESPERATELY(!) do they ‘want’ us to. Why? Cause we’re proving season after season that you don’t have to spunk stupid amounts of money in the hope(!) that you can be competitive. We just continue more and more to show them up for what they are, spenders. Paying through the nose, season after season to win, or in some cases, lose! THEY HATE US!! (And I LOVE IT!!) 🤣

The twat in the beige shirt thinks it’s all going to come crashing down.

Whilst the other guy actually watches the game, knows the players, is gushing with praise for us.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We’re as ever overplaying the now and underplaying the past. Hence the giddiness. Recency bias ha ha

We’ve so far bought 4 first team players this window. A tad more expensive than in previous windows fitting the market but TB has more ££ I guess. All of whom are still young tho with limited Pl or top tier experience, and several expensive teenagers are also lined up for the future but loaned out and 15+ players eventually will be loaned from the u21s. A limited few of those will end up back in the first team. We’ve also made several significant sales with more to come. Altho a £50m+ exit seems unlikely this window.
So echoes of most seasons…

Even adding O Riley, Kadioglu, and a CM is no more a significant rebuild for a coach than fitting in Igor, Pedro, Verbruggen, Ansu Fati, Dahoud, Milner, Adingra, and Hinshelwood last season - and Estupinan, Gilmour, Van Hecke, Mitoma, Undav, Ferguson, Enciso the season before *

* Yes I know some of those players were bought in previous windows , some are academy promotions etc. It’s the size of the first team rebuild I’m suggesting is familiar .

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Disappointed. We have not signed a South American wonderkid, an ageing PL legend, or a Chelsea academy player.

Honestly, I expected that if Gross left, we might get 2 players to replace him. I expected 2 or 3 young players for development, and was hoping for a right back, and a CB.
I wasn't expecting more than 2 players over £25-30M,

I think the money being there to do it, the upcoming change of PSR, the loss of Gross, the new head coach, and the reduced competition due to others being constrained, have all come together to create "The Spanish Inquisition window:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
It’s been incredible!
In fact, I’ve actually lost track of how much we’ve spent.
I know they are all “undisclosed” fees, but does anyone have a summary by player of who we bought and how much we spent?
Cheers

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s been incredible!
I know they are all “undisclosed” fees, but does anyone have a summary by player of who we bought and how much we spent?
Cheers
If we bring in the Turk & O’Reilly roughly £178m

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It’s been incredible!
Cheers
Not sure how many times I’ve posted this link in recent weeks but it’s more than once - Rutter our record spend to date at around £40m

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Dewsbury-Hall going to Chelsea seems a long time ago.

PSR rules biting is really helping. Mitoma possibly too expensive to buy from us, Minteh ends up here as Newcastle have to sell and TB seizing the opportunity..

It's mad just watching Buonotte on loan to Leicester who won the league and cup not so long ago yet can't get a game here.
With them now signing Felix Inge will realise the mistake he has made, unless of course it’s just the money

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here