Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] This season I was wrong about...

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Ryan, March, Connolly, Gross...I bet I've been wrong about more players than most people. And I was wrong when I thought that we'd kick off up the league this season. Although perhaps the prediction wasn't wrong, just the timing.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Good thread

Wrong about Solly as a wing back

Wrong about Lallana and Welbeck's fitness record (it's been better than expected)

Wrong about how good we are, I genuinely thought we'd properly sort out the not scoring thing in the second half of the season and finish about 10th. To be honest I've thought we'd win most weeks and largely been disappointed.

Wrong about the squad lacking balance in defence- we've coped admirably without Lamptey, Veltman was inspired business

Wrong about White, i thought there was so much expectation on him people would be quick to pick up on his mistakes and be disappointed. But he's adapted pretty bloody well.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Agree it is a good thread.

For me like a lot of people I expected March to continue his one good game in ten but he has certainly been a contender for player of the season and I think he may have run Dunk close had he not got injured. I know a lot of people have suggested that the lack of crowds has been beneficial to him but I really hope that isn't the case and he continues to kick on.

Didn't expect anything from Veltman given our recent dips into the Dutch league and the peanuts we paid for him.

Away from the Albion I thought Leeds would struggle more than they have. I also thought Bamford would be a huge flop. Expected it to be a two horse race again. Didn't expect Hull to bounce right back and thought Salford would at least make the play offs.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I said this season Alzate and Bissouma would be a fantastic midfield pairing to push us forward. I was wrong about half of it but I'm still not sure why.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I was wrong regarding the fitness of Lala and Welbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Maupay: I thought he'd get 12-15 goals this season. Although, he really should have that many...

March: I thought he could do a job at LWB but that we'd need an upgrade to kick on. I was really impressed by how he made the position his own and what a big miss he's been. Looking forward to getting him back for next season.

Gross: I thought his days were close to numbered with the amount of quality we had in his position and his lack of pace. Instead he's dropped back and been excellent.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Jesse Lingard / West Ham
I'd put him in the 'perenially unfulfilled potential' category along with Dele Alli. How wrong I was. And he only joined West Ham on 29th January.
Massive impact, back with England and West Ham fully deserve European football next season. They'll probably take it more seriously than Tottenham did.

Aston Villa
Should've gone down last season with last day drama and balls in the goal not counted.
Comfortably top half for most of this season with Grealish pulling the strings. If they can keep him and he stays injury-free, they won't be in any danger next season.

English teams in Europe
After Bayern's dominance last season, it would've been a stretch to see both UCL finalists as English, especially Chelsea who still had Lampard in late Jan.
But both City and Chelsea dispatched their illustrious SF opponents with style and something to spare.
An all-Manchester UEFA Super Cup in Belfast in August is still on.

Solly March
A revelation. One of the real success stories of the season and a genuine candidate for POTS. Such a shame that injury cut short his season.
In a time when we've come up short in finishing, his curled winner against Villa was one of the standout goals.

Albion's prowess at penalties
We used to be pretty good at them, especially in shootouts. Didn't see much changing there.
But we've missed a few this season, most notably the 2 against West Brom and also in the Cup game at Newport with Steele needing to make 4 saves.
After Gross and Dunk, there doesn't appear to be a whole lot of depth.

kjgood

I thought early to mid season we would be relegated. The lack of goals and at that time the poor goalkeeping and defending in my reckoning had us as prime relegation candidates. Well events have proved that I know nothing about football.

Performances improved, goalkeeping and defending in a different league to where we were, only scoring remains an issue. Apart from that we are a solid mid table side, on several occasions some excellent football being played we just cannot hit a barn door in front of goal.

I will also admit to thinking Mr Potter wasn't up to it, events have again proved me wrong and we have an in demand manager if the press are right. But our forwards cannot still hit a barn door, in that I wasn't wrong

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
When we signed Veltman for the price of 2 weeks wages for Pogba I just expected him to come on late in the game for Lamptey and try to defend a lead ! If only we could do that !

But he's been outstanding and Plsyer of the season imo , what a absolute steal he was .

Other than that I thought we would finish 12th , so that's no gonna happen .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here