Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This satellite that's going to hit earth tomorrow.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Will it hit the ground from the east, west, north or south. If we knew we could sit in the shadow of a big hill. :thumbsup:

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
"If you want to avoid the risk of being hit completely then you need to go beyond 57 degrees latitude north (Scotland or Quebec) or south (further south than the southern tip of Argentina)."

Any good games going on in the SPL today? Actually, I can answer that without looking.

I had a work colleague who was just a few hundred yards from a chunk of flying metal when debris from SkyLab was scattered over parts of Western Australia in 1979.

The chances of this happening again to someone else I know when the rubbish comes tumbling down this time must be (literally) astronomical.

mlg57

Oct 20, 2006
Milton Keynes
New Delhi: Breakaway chunks from an old NASA satellite are likely to reach Earth on Friday.

Though there's a very remote chance of them hitting anyone, but NASA is unable to predict where they'll land, till just two hours before impact.

The size of the chunk is equivalent to a bus, speeding in at 27000 km/hour, and will break up and burn as soon as it enters our atmosphere.

However, even after that, as many as 26 different pieces, weighing up to 500 kg, will reach Earth. And NASA has no way to stop them from hitting Earth.

“It's the largest space craft of its type to come back to Earth in 30 years,” said Mark Matney of Johnson Space Centre, NASA.

NASA is unsure where the breakaway pieces will land, but it's betting they'll fall into the ocean or smack into an unpopulated area on earth.

“We can't control how it rotates. If it presents a large, flat profile on its way in, it'll probably slow down and disintegrate faster. But if it's tilted so that not too much of its surface is directly exposed, it'll come in at a really fast clip,” said Matney.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I had a work colleague who was just a few hundred yards from a chunk of flying metal when debris from SkyLab was scattered over parts of Western Australia in 1979.

The chances of this happening again to someone else I know when the rubbish comes tumbling down this time must be (literally) astronomical.

SkyLab? Was that the one in the Terminator films? Maybe it was a true story afterall...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
New Delhi: Breakaway chunks from an old NASA satellite are likely to reach Earth on Friday.

Though there's a very remote chance of them hitting anyone, but NASA is unable to predict where they'll land, till just two hours before impact.

The size of the chunk is equivalent to a bus, speeding in at 27000 km/hour, and will break up and burn as soon as it enters our atmosphere.

However, even after that, as many as 26 different pieces, weighing up to 500 kg, will reach Earth. And NASA has no way to stop them from hitting Earth.

“It's the largest space craft of its type to come back to Earth in 30 years,” said Mark Matney of Johnson Space Centre, NASA.

NASA is unsure where the breakaway pieces will land, but it's betting they'll fall into the ocean or smack into an unpopulated area on earth.

“We can't control how it rotates. If it presents a large, flat profile on its way in, it'll probably slow down and disintegrate faster. But if it's tilted so that not too much of its surface is directly exposed, it'll come in at a really fast clip,” said Matney.

So it could plough into the sea, or it could smash straight into a city. Great.

Bagpuss

Sep 27, 2010
[COMMENT]surely they can calculate it's path....[/COMMENT]

Apparently, they have but they don't know how entering the Earth's atmosphere will affect the velocity and trajectory of the satellite, or where/when it will enter the Earth's atmosphere. where (if) it lands will then depend on the Earth's rotation against the above factors. It is on a NNE path!

There is a lot of land mass on it's orbit, Europe, UK, Africa, Middle East etc and with a predicted 500 mile radius for the debris it could be worth keeping one eye on the sky tonight!

North and East stands should get a good view if it does pass by! Could be one hell of a sight seeing the debris burn up!!

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
this seasons equivalent of the beachball incident?

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here