Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This run is worse than any under Hyypia .......

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Jones was in charge for the Boxing Day draw with Reading (from 0-2 down) and the win at Fulham, so 4 points. But those 4 points are no more or less valuable than the points we've picked up since under Hughton, so to isolate those 4 points under Jones and say "that's why we're staying up" is a bit daft.

Hughton won his first League game at Charlton and we put together a mini-revival (of sorts) which pulled us away from immediate danger, and since then we've done *just about* enough to stay out of trouble. Would we have been any higher up the table if Jones had been given the job ? I have absolutely no idea. But 2 games is certainly not enough to proclaim Jones as the saviour of our Championship status, nor is it proof that he'd have done any better had he been given the job for the rest of the season.

Jones is no the saviour, I wouldn't be saying that. He gained 4 points from two games giving us a 66% return on points available. Those points at a time when our path was rocky and there had been a certain amount of disconnect will prove invalueable at the end of the season, its only an observation and no criticism of Hughton.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
67/1 for Albion relegation. Should I put £10 just in case I need my season ticket money back? I don't fancy third tier football ever again.
Best to put your tenner on at 125-1, which is available right now.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I dont agree of the remaining games I would prefer to have Rotherhams than any others plus Derby are more likely to be in the play offs than us in The Championship so may rest any slightly doubtful players.

I don't get your logic. Millwall have to go out for the result, a team like Derby will catch them on the break as would Wolves. I would rather have the points on the board then to be looking at 3 tough games where you need to win at least 2 and get a point from the other, that could go up if we get a point from the last 2 games. You have to laugh, people expect us to get nothing from our last 2 games, but expect millwall to turn the form book on its head. My opinion is that Millwall would be lucky to get 1 point from their last 3 games.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Jones is no the saviour, I wouldn't be saying that. He gained 4 points from two games giving us a 66% return on points available. Those points at a time when our path was rocky and there had been a certain amount of disconnect will prove invalueable at the end of the season, its only an observation and no criticism of Hughton.

The points we got during Hyypia's time were equally valuable - we need all the points, no matter who was in charge at the time!

The four points we got under NJ could just be down to dead cat's bounce - we'll never know.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Sure, I'm not disagreeing with that. But any talk of points return ratios over 2 games is, well, a bit pointless IMO. Its such a microscopic snapshot as to be meaningless.

Its like David Nugent's goal-a-game goalscoring record for England. He has 1 cap.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Derby need 2 points to qualify for the play offs because of their GD which nobody would get anywhere near. Their 2 games are Millwall away and Reading at home so 2 points is easy for them.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Derby need 2 points to qualify for the play offs because of their GD which nobody would get anywhere near. Their 2 games are Millwall away and Reading at home so 2 points is easy for them.

Correct, and I imagine that they'll be very keen to wrap them up in one match, against Millwall, so that they can rest players on the final day in anticipation of the play offs 5 days later.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Correct, and I imagine that they'll be very keen to wrap them up in one match, against Millwall, so that they can rest players on the final day in anticipation of the play offs 5 days later.

Would they not play to not lose at Millwall which would do us if Millwall dont win tomorrow.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Would they not play to not lose at Millwall which would do us if Millwall dont win tomorrow.

If Millwall don't win tomorrow, then it won't even matter.

None of it matters ANYWAY. We're not going down, end of. One or more of Blackburn, Derby, Wolves or the FA will sort it out for us. Pointless even wasting time thinking about how Derby are going to do this or how Wolves are going to do that. Its sorted.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Why on earth would they do that? To a team as good as Derby, Millwall away is 3 points up for grabs. There is no way that they'd play for a draw and risk dropping out of the play offs if they then didn't get a point against Reading on the final day. That would be madness, particularly given the advantage of being able to rest any players in the final league weekend prior to the play offs if required.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In our position we have to consider all possibilities. IMHO Blackburn will win tomorrow and we will get at least a draw against Watford.possibly even a win. as they will throw everything forward to secure a win to gain automatic.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
er yeah they'll throw everything forward and smash us whilst we cant get over the half way line

In our position we have to consider all possibilities. IMHO Blackburn will win tomorrow and we will get at least a draw against Watford.possibly even a win. as they will throw everything forward to secure a win to gain automatic.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sure, I'm not disagreeing with that. But any talk of points return ratios over 2 games is, well, a bit pointless IMO. Its such a microscopic snapshot as to be meaningless.

Its like David Nugent's goal-a-game goalscoring record for England. He has 1 cap.

I agree that four points is valuable however you get them, but it lifted us out of the relegation zone. That was a huge psychological boost.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Probably have enough points to stay up,but the squad is awful and the manager is tactically inept.
Next season won't be any better.
Hughton is a defensive coach at best.Nothing more.

If things don't change, we will never leave the bottom 3 next season.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
While Hughton lacks Poyet's flair, he's doing the best he can with the shit we have. I believe, if we spent a bit of money, Houghton could take us up to the Prem - and keep us there for a season or two. Would it be flairtastic Gus-bus type stuff? No. Not a chance, but he's good enough and he knows the division. Now we just the right squad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here