Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] This rule about the linesman not putting his flag up for offside until the passage of play has finished

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
It used to massively irritate me but now I quite like it because it gives me even more chances to shout 'wake up, lino' and 'Sian would've got that right' to the linos in front of me at the Cottage.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I get the premise behind it, but it doesn’t work, and just ruins the flow of the game, and winds the fans up who get on the linesman's back for not flagging. It happened numerous times yesterday, when the Linesman was just following the rules but a large proportion of the fans don't understand the rule.

The linesman also got a lot of calls wrong on Saturday, so while there was the odd one he correctly let go at first, he was basically shit (first half).

Oops- Sunday

Last edited:

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
The worst part is that it makes it more likely a goal will be chalked off due to VAR/late lino call. If the lino calls it immediately, then you get into the clear and obvious territory with VAR. However as they have been asked not to flag it, means it is much more likely a apparent goal will be ruled out. If you believe that having goals ruled out is what infuriates the fans the most, as I do, this is the worst solution. Better would be to have the linos flag offsides, but tell players to play to the whistle (again). This allow goals flagged incorrectly as offside to be given if VAR proves it to be wrong.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The worst part is that it makes it more likely a goal will be chalked off due to VAR/late lino call. If the lino calls it immediately, then you get into the clear and obvious territory with VAR. However as they have been asked not to flag it, means it is much more likely a apparent goal will be ruled out. If you believe that having goals ruled out is what infuriates the fans the most, as I do, this is the worst solution. Better would be to have the linos flag offsides, but tell players to play to the whistle (again). This allow goals flagged incorrectly as offside to be given if VAR proves it to be wrong.
Quite right. Ignoring the flag and playing to the whistle has already been mooted on here. OP doesn't like it though.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The lino on the East side on Wednesday night was well behind play a lot of the time and looked like he was used to VAR doing his job for him. Without VAR, he missed several obvious Wolves offsides in the first half an hour before realising that he was going to have to work for the night.

Shearer's MotD analysis of us being vulnerable to a long ball over the top used Forest's obviously offside late break from Sunday as one example. We got the offside line wrong for their equaliser, but it's quite annoying that pundits can say 'Look they got lucky not to concede on this one too' when we had got the offside line right, but the lino hadn't bothered flagging.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Watched Liverpool vs West Ham in the league cup last night with no VAR - game felt so much better and fluid, West Ham may have had a couple of shouts for offside and a potential handball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here