bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
... its got worse.

Threads in the wrong order
Server too busy
Threads reappearing from yesteryear
TLO still bigging himself up on everythread
The layout is awful
The fading screnes are rubbish if want to click back quickly when the boss walks over

The old one was better.

Sort it out Bozza

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Far less people are also posting anything at all.

NSP here i come.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
BHAFC4EVA is being savaged by the two old sages of NSC

marvellous scenes

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just goes to show the old adage that people don't like change is still valid and making itself known on NSC. We'll all love it again soon enough.

I think the new shape BMW is a case in point. Everyone said how fecking awful they looked when the new Chris Bangle designs came out a couple of years ago...but now they look spot on and moder, well they do to me even if i wouldn't dream of buying one

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
... its got worse.

Server too busy
The layout is awful
The fading screnes are rubbish if want to click back quickly when the boss walks over

The old one was better.

Sort it out Bozza

I'm glad i'm not the only person who can see through this prat

Nice one:thumbsup:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
... its got worse.

Server too busy
The layout is awful

The old one was better.

Sort it out Bozza

Your support is welcomed...

Threads in the wrong order - that happened because the server crashed, rebooted itself and came back running at GMT. That meant any posts made were timestamped as being earlier than some already made. We reset the time and all was well again. However we also found and installed a utility that means if the server goes down again it should come back with the correct time on it.

Server busy - this new version of the board is undoubtedly more resource intensive than the previous version we had running. However what this software permits is the setting of thresholds to be set such that if those levels get reached, new users get a "server busy" message. This is a huge improvement on the old software which would kill the server. The server would then be out of action until one of us noticed, raised a support ticket with the host and waited for someone to go and 'turn it off and on again'.

However, we want to get to the point where no "server busy" messages are seen. In the next few days we're going to install the most recent versions of Apache and PHP which should aid performance. If problems are still experienced I will then look at getting a more powerful server for NSC. I'm reluctant to do this as more power costs more money. Current hosting is £80 per month and NSC doesn't earn £80 per month. This means net cashflow is negative every month. If this carries on, NSC runs out of money and doesn't exist or will require user donations like many other big busy boards. I want to avoid that if possible so will not pay out extra if I don't have to.

Threads reappearing - that has always happened on NSC, nomatter what board software we use. We leave all 100,000+ threads fully accessible to all. Anyone can find any old post and resurrect it if they so desire. The upside of this is if something becomes relevant again, an old conversation can be brought back to life. The downside is it is open to abuse as is seen from time to time. I think I'd still rather 'trust' people than lock stuff down.

Awful Layout - the default layout has now been set such that it is very similar to the old NSC layout. If you don't like it, scroll down to the very bottom of this page and choose an alternative layout from the dropdown on the left. There are a few to choose from. If none suit your needs, please PM me with suggested improvements and I'll be glad to implement any for the greater good.

Fading screens - most seemed to like them. They're only visible in Internet Explorer, so use Firefox and you won't have them. Or do some work.

The old one was better - the old one was a lot worse. Lots of things didn't work and it was feature-poor for the both user and the moderator/administrator. There are a lot more bits and pieces available to the user now but if you don't like them, don't use them. If all you want to do is post messages, you can.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Threads in the wrong order - that happened because the server crashed, rebooted itself and came back running at GMT. That meant any posts made were timestamped as being earlier than some already made. We reset the time and all was well again. However we also found and installed a utility that means if the server goes down again it should come back with the correct time on it.

Server busy - this new version of the board is undoubtedly more resource intensive than the previous version we had running. However what this software permits is the setting of thresholds to be set such that if those levels get reached, new users get a "server busy" message. This is a huge improvement on the old software which would kill the server. The server would then be out of action until one of us noticed, raised a support ticket with the host and waited for someone to go and 'turn it off and on again'.

However, we want to get to the point where no "server busy" messages are seen. In the next few days we're going to install the most recent versions of Apache and PHP which should aid performance. If problems are still experienced I will then look at getting a more powerful server for NSC. I'm reluctant to do this as more power costs more money. Current hosting is £80 per month and NSC doesn't earn £80 per month. This means net cashflow is negative every month. If this carries on, NSC runs out of money and doesn't exist or will require user donations like many other big busy boards. I want to avoid that if possible so will not pay out extra if I don't have to.

Threads reappearing - that has always happened on NSC, nomatter what board software we use. We leave all 100,000+ threads fully accessible to all. Anyone can find any old post and resurrect it if they so desire. The upside of this is if something becomes relevant again, an old conversation can be brought back to life. The downside is it is open to abuse as is seen from time to time. I think I'd still rather 'trust' people than lock stuff down.

Awful Layout - the default layout has now been set such that it is very similar to the old NSC layout. If you don't like it, scroll down to the very bottom of this page and choose an alternative layout from the dropdown on the left. There are a few to choose from. If none suit your needs, please PM me with suggested improvements and I'll be glad to implement any for the greater good.

Fading screens - most seemed to like them. They're only visible in Internet Explorer, so use Firefox and you won't have them. Or do some work.

The old one was better - the old one was a lot worse. Lots of things didn't work and it was feature-poor for the both user and the moderator/administrator. There are a lot more bits and pieces available to the user now but if you don't like them, don't use them. If all you want to do is post messages, you can.

"so shut up".

You forgot that bit.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf

Server busy -

I bet you sometimes wonder why you bother, Bozza.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Well the new NSC looks fine to me except for certain people who have nothing better to do than whine. If you don't like you know what you can do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here