Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

this is why ronaldo will never be the best in the world

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
messi is god , he is the best player even better than Marradona and he does not cheat , pity the players around him cant stop diving

Messi can not be considered to be a better player than Maradona until he has won a World Cup. Maradona 'single-handedly' dragged an average team through a World Cup and won.

Mackerboy

Sep 20, 2011
They are both amazing in different ways but my only argument is that messi has not done it in the premiership and ronaldo has which is no easy task. Messi is the most talented yes and does not dive very often which I respect a lot but for him to be best player ever he needs to move to best league in the world and do it !!
Ronaldo is a machine and is so athletic and driven which makes him a different type of player to messi who is skill and natural talent. Both should sign for Albion as back up for noone,Buckley,lua lua and assulin ;) assulin looks handy but don't want to upset other committed wingers as he is only a loan player. Loyalty is important from the top in my opinion.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Messi definitely has a different attitude to Ronaldo with regards to staying on his feet and riding challenges all the while desperately trying to keep the ball and score/pass. He has dived in the past but nowhere the amount that someone who gets fouled as much as he does would. Which isn't suprising as he has to anticipate people are going to come clattering into him all the time.

Him and Ronaldo are head and shoulders above the rest of the world, but Messi still edges it over Ronaldo for me and feel very lucky to have seen him play live.

cjwoolven

Jun 4, 2008
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;4754611 said:
I think that they are hard to compare - Messi is effortless and a complete natural - an unreal talent. Ronaldo is talented too, but he has got to the level he is at by lots of hard work and training.

I think it's a bit like comparing Nadal and Federer - they're both great but Federer is just so effortless while you get the feeling Nadal is working so, so hard.

I think this is the best way I've ever heard of comparing the two best players in the world. Spot on.

Oct 25, 2003
that's not really "not diving"....most of the examples in that video he'd be well within his rights to go down after being hacked to bits! it's just he has the awareness to know that it's often better to stay on your feet if you can

he has so much balance, ball control, acceleration and a surprising amount of strength which makes him SO hard to tackle fairly

as for the "who is better" debate...both him and ronaldo are AMAZING players....however personally i'd say messi is more important to a team

if i was a manager and could sign one of them (and one only) i'd go for messi

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Sorry got cups mixed up , still a better team though Pal with what Messi has around him now !

What Messi has around him . . . . . Tevez, Huguain, Milito, Di Maria, Pastore, Aguero. He had all these great attacking players around him at the 2010 World Cup with defenders like Heinze, Demichelis, Burdisso and Samuel. He still flopped. All these players were playing for top European sides in 2010.
In '86 six of the team were playing in Europe. Granted players moved around a lot less back then but hardly any went on to big European sides. Maradona, Passarella, Valdano, Ruggeri and Burruchaga are the only stand out players from the squad that went on to play or were playing in Europe.

Time will tell whether Messi can galvanise Argentina the way Maradona did. I hope he does but until he can inspire a side like Maradona did then that is an attribute he lacks which makes him not as good as Maradona.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
Messi definitely has a different attitude to Ronaldo with regards to staying on his feet and riding challenges all the while desperately trying to keep the ball and score/pass. He has dived in the past but nowhere the amount that someone who gets fouled as much as he does would. Which isn't suprising as he has to anticipate people are going to come clattering into him all the time.

Him and Ronaldo are head and shoulders above the rest of the world, but Messi still edges it over Ronaldo for me and feel very lucky to have seen him play live.

Agree totally. I always think Ronaldo's default position is to look for the dive, wheras Messi's is to stay on his feet, if you catch my drift.

A classic example is Messi's second goal v Madrid in the away leg in last season Champions League, I am certain Ronaldo would have attempted to dive before getting a shot in, yet Messi managed to stay on his feet and scored a fantastic goal.

I am sure Messi has dived on some occasions but I actually think he tries to stay on his feet because he thinks himself running at players is more dangerous than a dead ball situation. Also if he does go down, he tends to just pull up his socks and get on with it, unlike Ronaldo, who well....we all know what he does. If you watch Messi closely his control is unbelievable, the ball looks like it is glued to his foot (I honestly think only Maradona comes close to him...possibly Zidane) and not only does he score lots of goals (over 40+ a season regularly!) he sets up a lot to by quite often drawing 2/3 players to him and then slipping in someone else.

Messi is without doubt one of the best if not the best player I have ever seen. Ronaldo probably wouldn't be in my top ten, if he didn't dive so much he would be though I guess.

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
I hate it that the best players in the world are usually playing for R. Madrid or Barcelona, often I think they look so good because they're playing in a less
competitive league, which I think is true. But I have to admit that Messi is the best player around at the moment, with him in the team Barcelona are
virtually unbeatable in europe, without him they're much easier to stop from scoring. Ronaldo is a very good footballer but apart from being unlikeable
and diving at the slightest touch he's not in Messi's league.
I remember seeing a photo of George Best in just his shorts and there were bruises all over him, from elbows and kicks, I can't remember him diving.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Messi can not be considered to be a better player than Maradona until he has won a World Cup.
While I agree that he hasn't reached Maradona's achievements, he wouldn't have to win the WC to do so (he could just keep winning everything else). That comes down to a lot of factors, like team-mates, opposition, luck, hand of god etc. But Maradona did win a lot on his own - speak to a Napoli fan and you'll hear he was always amazing (they could watch him train after school etc). Maradona may have been the best player ever.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
While I agree that he hasn't reached Maradona's achievements, he wouldn't have to win the WC to do so (he could just keep winning everything else). That comes down to a lot of factors, like team-mates, opposition, luck, hand of god etc. But Maradona did win a lot on his own - speak to a Napoli fan and you'll hear he was always amazing (they could watch him train after school etc). Maradona may have been the best player ever.

To achieve the fame and notoriety that Maradona has Messi has to lift the World Cup. Maradona never lifted the European Cup, only the UEFA (Europa) Cup, Messi has already won the European Cup on 3 occasions yet we still argue over who is better? So he could win the European Cup as many times as he likes and the argument will still continue. So to lift the World Cup would make him surpass Maradona's achievements.

Many players have been given the tag "the next Maradona" such as Saviola, Ortega, Aimar and Riquelme and have all failed to live up to the billing. Messi really has a chance and the ability to be the greatest ever player.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
and for some more balance

Lionel Messi has now been booked for hand ball more often (3 times) than any player in the Liga this season

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maradona never lifted the European Cup, only the UEFA (Europa) Cup, Messi has already won the European Cup on 3 occasions yet we still argue over who is better?
Because Messi is in a much better team than Napoli.
So he could win the European Cup as many times as he likes and the argument will still continue. So to lift the World Cup would make him surpass Maradona's achievements.
No, even if he lifted the WC the argument would still continue. It's not an argument about achievements, it's an argument about who was best, and it's not simply about achievements when it's a team sport.

Messi really has a chance and the ability to be the greatest ever player.
Yes he does, but people won't all agree. People aren't currently unanimous on who is the best to date.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here