Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This is one of the most inhuman things I've ever seen (BBC sport relief)

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I found it all a bit patronising.

Compared to how we live in the west it looks pretty shocking, but they were born somewhere else and if it's a choice between working on the rubbish tip or starving to death I'm pretty sure I know which one I'd choose. There's been plenty of bad things going on in the world for a long but nobody REALLY gives a shit, if we all did I'm sure we could've righted some of these wrongs by now. No point being angry or upset from the comfort of our homes just because we saw someing we find horrible on the telly. Those kids working on the rubbish tip don't want our pity - like I said, it's patronising.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
you guys should watch a docu called "wasteland" - based in Brazil's 'worlds largest rubbish dump' - a whole city lives there....

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Compared to how we live in the west it looks pretty shocking, but they were born somewhere else and if it's a choice between working on the rubbish tip or starving to death I'm pretty sure I know which one I'd choose. There's been plenty of bad things going on in the world for a long but nobody REALLY gives a shit, if we all did I'm sure we could've righted some of these wrongs by now. No point being angry or upset from the comfort of our homes just because we saw someing we find horrible on the telly. Those kids working on the rubbish tip don't want our pity - like I said, it's patronising.

Don't really know what to say to that, compared to how we live yeah i guess it does look "pretty shocking."
"Those kids working on the rubbish tip don't want our pity." Do you have some special knowledge about how they feel giving you the right to tell us how those children want to be viewed?

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Amazing.

Albion Rob

Don't really know what to say to that, compared to how we live yeah i guess it does look "pretty shocking."
"Those kids working on the rubbish tip don't want our pity." Do you have some special knowledge about how they feel giving you the right to tell us how those children want to be viewed?

While Idisagree with some of what Billy said, I think there's some truth to some of the sentiment. There's plenty of food (for example) to go round in this world but for some reason a high proportion of it ends up in the mouths of people from rich Western nations.

I don't think the aid/development debate is black and white by any means and we in Britain should be proud (in my view) that two successive Govts have stuck by aid pending pledges but if we were looking for substantive changes to how the poorest live then we'd have to accept a fall in our own living standards, maybe by 10 or 15 per cent, who knows, but the point is that most people, despite the fact that in global terms we're the richest of the rich, would not stand for that - hence endless leaders in the Mail and the Express saying we need to get our own house in order before we help others. That's fine but if you add perspective to it, we live in a stately home while others live in a tin shack.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I don't 100% agree but I can see where you're coming from. I'm sure to the super-rich our lifestyles look little better than living on a rubbish tip: living cheek-by-jowl in our 'tiny' flats and terraced houses, having to commute in overcrowded trains and and on overcrowded roads (and pay a large proportion of our income to do so) in order to earn just enough to pay for our homes, food and fuel. I do all that and I'm still happy with my life; It's all a matter of perspective.

Having said that needless to say I'm in favour of anything that can help balance out the inequalities in the world. So TV programmes that can raise awareness of the way the world is are to be applauded.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It's a shame that so many countries seem more intent on building up their security forces than feeding their people.

A few years ago, the young Miss Bracknell worked in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, for a charity project that supported young people who worked on a rubbish tip. I think she found the resourcefulness of the kids to be inspiring.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012

Are you being serious?

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK

This is a wind up, right? :lol:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'm deadly serious, and I'm glad at least a couple of people can see where I'm coming from on this. If you want to see a decent and blanced documentry on how people live and cope in different social and economic conditions to us then watch Kevin McCloud - Slumming it.

The sight of Gary Linekar forcing out a few tears does nothing for me, has he seriously never seen stuff like that before? I find it more offensive that people are watching that and using words like inhuman to describe those peoples lives - Newsflash, this is how much of the world's population lives, living day to day and just trying to survive, it's nothing new. What are we here for? Is it to collect material posessions and buy houses or cars? This is the real world and the majority of it aren't lucky enough to take survival for granted like we do, but it doesn't mean they are any less happy.

To carry on an analogy that someone used earlier, if a member of some royal family was watching a documentary about my life and pitied me because I didn't have what they have I would tell them to go f*** themselves. Like I said, it's highly patronising.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I didn't watch that bit of the program ..but did see the clip involving That comedian Bishop...which I personally found very moving....those women who were losing there children didn't seem very happy...nor did I find it patronising ...but a stark reminder of reality elsewhere in this world and offering me a opportunity to help in some way and if no one on this thread agrees I don't really care

Fatboy Quim

Jan 27, 2005
Probably the most sensible post I've ever read on here (from Billy the Fish). I've travelled and lived in places of extreme poverty and what you outlined above is spot on. These are people's lives - they might want help, or a fair crack of the whip, but they don't want pity. And to describe someone's life as "inhuman" is pretty awful in itself.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
I'm deadly serious, and I'm glad at least a couple of people can see where I'm coming from on this. If you want to see a decent and blanced documentry on how people live and cope in different social and economic conditions to us then watch Kevin McCloud - Slumming it.

The sight of Gary Linekar forcing out a few tears does nothing for me, has he seriously never seen stuff like that before? I find it more offensive that people are watching that and using words like inhuman to describe those peoples lives - Newsflash, this is how much of the world's population lives, living day to day and just trying to survive, it's nothing new. What are we here for? Is it to collect material posessions and buy houses or cars? This is the real world and the majority of it aren't lucky enough to take survival for granted like we do, but it doesn't mean they are any less happy.

To carry on an analogy that someone used earlier, if a member of some royal family was watching a documentary about my life and pitied me because I didn't have what they have I would tell them to go f*** themselves. Like I said, it's highly patronising.

It is trying to raise awareness. Do you think that half the money raised should go overseas, or just stay in Britain?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
You can't determine where you are born and as with most things how do you begin to understand how you prevent some of these things happening in the world. Yes we can all throw a few quid at the problem but is that the answer? I don't know whether it is or not but I do believe it is up to governments across the world to decide how you start to tackle some of these issues and unite in a common cause

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It is trying to raise awareness. Do you think that half the money raised should go overseas, or just stay in Britain?

Missing the point entirely. I'm all for people helping others, and this is a good cause, but it's a drop in the ocean compared to what should be happening. Corporations announce billions in profits and we still have to have things like this where we all give a few quid to help out someone with much less than us. The world can seem a funny place.
FQ has it right in the post above, it's all about giving people a bit of help and a chance to better themselves because THEY want to, not because I feel superior to them, and I found the Gary Linekar piece to be very much in the "I'm superior" bracket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here