Hove
Reality check.

This season, first few games novelty factor plus big games = good atmosphere
Withdean matches, a couple of games a season = good atmosphere
Gillingham, no atmosphere
Goldstone, years in decline = occasional atmosphere
Goldstone, 1977 - 1983 = fantastic atmosphere
so nearly 30 years since good atmosphere every match

times and people have changed. Accept it.

Why should we accept it? Clubs like Stoke don't and The Amex offers a clean slate. Let's do our best to change the culture.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Reality check.

Well summed up. :)

Compulsory seating has probably had a large part to play in 'atmosphere' as well!, that would fit into your timeline almost perfectly.

greengu11

Sep 16, 2010
West Sussex/Surrey Border
I was in the South today as Mrs H has had an op and that nice Mr Hebberd allowed us to sit in the South so that she didn't have to climb any stairs. And I can confirm that there were a good number of young shavers in the South trying to get songs going and having a good banter with the Barnsley massive (joke). Missed our chums in the WSU and the view from there is much better for assessing the game, thought it was pretty even and if I'd been a Barnsley fan I'd have felt a little down hearted with the result. We are still being outmuscled in too many areas. It did strike me though, that the WS was quite quiet today.

We missed you both today as well, hope Mrs H gets better soon, Want you back in ur normal seats ASAP so we can get the noise going again

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Why should we accept it? Clubs like Stoke don't and The Amex offers a clean slate. Let's do our best to change the culture.

ahh the old Stoke arguemetn and before that Pompey . Premiership nonsense . Yeah they are loud but are no where near the super fans that some make us believe. Genuine quiet times every game

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Why does not singing mean not getting behind the team? I have never been one who sings but would like to think I have been behind the team whatever (bar the 5-0 v Stoke)

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Probably crazy talk, but maybe the club could try experimenting with putting on the occasional game on a Saturday afternoon at 3pm and see if that improves the atmosphere :shrug:

What? So you're blaming the day of the week for the crap atmosphere? Brilliant what shall we blame next? The temperature of the pies? The queue to get into dick's? The size of the programme?

Legs stop moaning and start singing.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
These threads moaning about lack of noise are so tediously boring. There is not one ground in this country where all pasts for the stadium sing except on major occasions. We have got it so much better than most.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Today I sat in the south stand and I could not believe how quiet the Brighton fans there were. We were 2-0 up but the crowd were acting as if we were 2-0 down. These people just would not sing. Can people please start realising we are not at the cricket.

No worries mate. We accept your apology. Maybe next time you can start singing.

Richard Reynold's Haircut

grammatically poor
Oct 3, 2011
Peacehaven
Reality check.

Correct!

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
These threads moaning about lack of noise are so tediously boring. There is not one ground in this country where all pasts for the stadium sing except on major occasions. We have got it so much better than most.

This

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I was in the south stand yesterday, and hey I didn't sing as much as I do in my normal WSu seat, but so what? I enjoyed watching the game. I thought the atmosphere was pretty good to be honest, when everyone did get involved it was a very impressive noise indeed. It was by no means a cup-tie atmosphere but for a mid-table second division game it was pretty good. If people like singing so much join a bloody choir. The south stand had a slightly family stand appeal to it yesterday so it was hardly going to be a feisty atmosphere there. FWIW it's worth we had a decent view and I enjoyed the show put on by the west and north stands, and more especially the one on the pitch from the team, very pleased with the result.

In my time I've racked up in excess 70 away grounds and the home atmosphere at the Albion is nothing to be ashamed of at all, in fact I think it compares well with most even for a sunday afternoon against Barnsley.

bring_zamora_home

Mar 16, 2011
Today I sat in the south stand and I could not believe how quiet the Brighton fans there were. We were 2-0 up but the crowd were acting as if we were 2-0 down. These people just would not sing. Can people please start realising we are not at the cricket.

This is why I would like to see the away fans moved to end if the east stab next to north so we can get a good atmosphere going like other grounds the truth is you can't here the away fans even when there singing from the north and the same they can't here us, the problem yesterday was the seats in the south stand were extra as barnsley didn't take them all so people who just go to the odd game were sitting there and of course will not sing as much and te other side is the family stand (east) so again you wouldn't get as much singing the away fans need moving, maybe stick them in the corner of north and west once it's filled in,

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
There can be a good atmosphere at a game irrespective of how loud the crowd's singing is. How did we get to thinking that singing is the be-all and end-all of what makes a good atmosphere? The hush as Albion defend an injury time corner, the gasp as Noone runs rings around a full back, the laughter as an opposing defender slices a clearance - all of these things contribute to the atmosphere as well. They are often a much more authentic expression of the mood of the crowd or what's happening In the game than some of the songs sung to try to make a good atmosphere.

kip

Aug 2, 2011
I thought the south stand was a bit quiet, I was the only one singing for about 5 rows of seats around me. You always feel a twat if no one else joins in but I did try. We did get the ''we're the south stand Brighton boys'' thing going but we kept doing it at the same time as the west stand so we were drowned out. There was a bit of banter with the Barnsley fans but would have liked a bit more. As I don't have a season ticket I normally sit in the west lower near the north stand and the atmosphere is much better over there

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This is why I would like to see the away fans moved to end if the east stab next to north so we can get a good atmosphere going like other grounds the truth is you can't here the away fans even when there singing from the north and the same they can't here us, the problem yesterday was the seats in the south stand were extra as barnsley didn't take them all so people who just go to the odd game were sitting there and of course will not sing as much and te other side is the family stand (east) so again you wouldn't get as much singing the away fans need moving, maybe stick them in the corner of north and west once it's filled in,

I agree that the South Stand should be filled entirely with Albion fans. Before yesterday, we'd only ever scored two league goals at that end. Maybe filling half of it with Albion fans spurred the team on.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don't think the club will move away fans to the east for three reasons. First, the number at present, of seats available would have to take up half of the present stand. The away fans would be sitting in some of the prime seats in the ground (including many 1901 seats). Second, the south stand is containable if for instance a high risk game like Palace occurs. Third, the prospect of putting mouthy away fans right by the family section just isn't going to happen, how would they sell that idea?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was in the south stand yesterday, and hey I didn't sing as much as I do in my normal WSu seat, but so what? I enjoyed watching the game. I thought the atmosphere was pretty good to be honest, when everyone did get involved it was a very impressive noise indeed. It was by no means a cup-tie atmosphere but for a mid-table second division game it was pretty good. If people like singing so much join a bloody choir. The south stand had a slightly family stand appeal to it yesterday so it was hardly going to be a feisty atmosphere there. FWIW it's worth we had a decent view and I enjoyed the show put on by the west and north stands, and more especially the one on the pitch from the team, very pleased with the result.

In my time I've racked up in excess 70 away grounds and the home atmosphere at the Albion is nothing to be ashamed of at all, in fact I think it compares well with most even for a sunday afternoon against Barnsley.

The best post on this thread (and all the others moaning about the singing, atmosphere and supporting the club)

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Confused? We have one thread complaining about the lack of noise...(this one) and another thread congratulating the noise from the North stand. There are many reasons why you think it's lacking atmosphere...one being you will hear a noise nearer you thus drowning out noise from the other end of the stadium. I sit below the WSU and I rarely hear them because the sound goes over me and not to me,but I know that they are singing just as loud as anyone else.....and with my voice you would'nt want me to sing.....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Why does not singing mean not getting behind the team? I have never been one who sings but would like to think I have been behind the team whatever (bar the 5-0 v Stoke)

This. Getting a bit fed up of this "if you don't sing you're a crap fan" holier than thou attitude.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here