Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] This is genuine from my University

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Indeed. In fact no place anywhere except the kitchen, the bedroom and stonings.

My beard sales went well on Wednesday after the Ollie Robinson thing. Seems to have tailed off today.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
There's a Deviance research group? Learn something new everyday.

So I get the bemusement of the OP. What has "deviancy" got to do with a course on construction / architecture?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And here I am trying to lecture my students on issues in the construction field such as exposure to Asbestos, Silica Dust, Noise and Hand Arm Vibration.

I knew I couldn't cut it in FE...

Reclaim Holloway is hosting four panel discussions throughout June at the London Festival of Architecture. Dr Rachel Seoighe from the University of Kent, an associate member of the Gender, Deviance and Society research group at Greenwich, will moderating the conversations and with some incredible speakers across architecture, women's services and rights, criminology and the women in construction movement.

Let me stop you there.

One of my worst ever PhD students submitted her thesis at 4.00 pm on the very last day of the 12 month extended window after the 3 years in the lab. She is the only one of my ex students to not publish a research paper. She spent a great deal of her time finding reasons for not coming in, and trashed her last experiment after making a schoolgirl error with some basic equipment :facepalm:

After graduating she left my institution but walked into a lectureship at another. Unheard of, I thought. Within 2 years she was promoted to senior lecturer.

At . . . . . the 'university' of Greenwich. :eek::ohmy::drool:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There's a Deviance research group? Learn something new everyday.

So I get the bemusement of the OP. What has "deviancy" got to do with a course on construction / architecture?

Nothing at all. The series of discussions that the OP has linked to, are not part of the course he is teaching on. (Or indeed part of any course).

Hope this helps.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
mthe latest President of our Professional Body is a Woman and almost certainly better at her job than me.

I think we’re starting to get to the bottom of this now :lolol:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
After graduating she left my institution but walked into a lectureship at another. Unheard of, I thought. Within 2 years she was promoted to senior lecturer.

159ebd0bf3d1ce861849c557887b1a76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
And here I am trying to lecture my students on issues in the construction field such as exposure to Asbestos, Silica Dust, Noise and Hand Arm Vibration.

I knew I couldn't cut it in FE...

Reclaim Holloway is hosting four panel discussions throughout June at the London Festival of Architecture. Dr Rachel Seoighe from the University of Kent, an associate member of the Gender, Deviance and Society research group at Greenwich, will moderating the conversations and with some incredible speakers across architecture, women's services and rights, criminology and the women in construction movement.

Even better that you classified the subject matter as humour. You lecture in comedy don't you. Why bother with Freud on jokes, when you've got jakarta on the twenty-first century?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Is 'hand arm vibration' a construction euphemism for knocking one out on your tea break?

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Let me stop you there.

One of my worst ever PhD students submitted her thesis at 4.00 pm on the very last day of the 12 month extended window after the 3 years in the lab. She is the only one of my ex students to not publish a research paper. She spent a great deal of her time finding reasons for not coming in, and trashed her last experiment after making a schoolgirl error with some basic equipment :facepalm:

Let me stop you there.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Let me stop you there.

What point are you trying to make?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
159ebd0bf3d1ce861849c557887b1a76.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

An important point.

I think you have to make the distinction between teaching-led Universities
and research-led Universities. Chalk and cheese really. In the latter - the
emphasis is on research (income and outputs).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
An important point.

I think you have to make the distinction between teaching-led Universities
and research-led Universities. Chalk and cheese really. In the latter - the
emphasis is on research (income and outputs).

In a research-led university the emphasis is on research. Thanks for clearing this up, I was a bit confused.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Having worked in both FE and HE, there are two quite different, if overlapping, cultures at work here. At the risk of stereotyping, FE is very hands-on, vocational and can-do whereas HE (in a university context) is discursive, critical and reflective. It could be that the OP is uncomfortably straddling (as it were) these two cultures.
For what it's worth, when I moved from FE to HE I did find myself reflecting that the unis (esp the research-intensive ones) can be a bit up themselves. But there and again, I was more 'town than gown'.

You are probably correct, I felt most of my eductional life in FE actually did some good, not all at sure my HE work has done much good.

Hey Ho another 60 minute Zoom meeting has just gone by with nothing to help my Students professional progression, but apparently we are much more diversive and inclusive...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here