Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This inept Government are starting to really

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
piss me off, they bang on about the state of the countries finances, plan cutbacks after cutbacks, yet seem to find a spare £134m to send to Pakistan!!

Can't stand the Tories but this is one of the few things I'm actually pleased they are doing.

Strange little Tory boy.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Some of the cuts those Tory fuckers have planned are shocking. They will double-handedly drag this wheezing country back 3 decades. Labour were progressive, introducing solid social reform. Mark my words, under Tory rule this country is truly buggered.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Some of the cuts those Tory fuckers have planned are shocking. They will double-handedly drag this wheezing country back 3 decades. Labour were progressive, introducing solid social reform. Mark my words, under Tory rule this country is truly buggered.

Labour were spending money we did not have.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
We wouldn't be having these cutbacks if the previous Government hadn't had to bail out the banks.

Erm, yes we would, maybe not to the same degree perhaps - but the Labour Government had been happily overspending on the basis that they'd "abolished boom and bust" since 1997. They didn't seem to ever have a plan for paying the defecit back other than through growth - which was perpetually in a couple of years time.

They were a bit like the character of Wimpy in the Popeye cartoons in that respect.

I should add that I support us as a nation sending aid to any country where a natural disaster such as this has occurred. Some people in the world like to portray us as ignorant, self-absorbed savages, we are not.

Last edited:

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
labour and gordon brown have spent money that this country did not have knowing they were going to lose the election.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It was sustainable debt that pretty much every country works within, it was just f***ed over by the greedy bankers. :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Before everyone starts panicking,no-one knows what the cuts will be and how it will affect 'life as we know it'.
IMHO,whatever ones political views,cuts are inevitable and it is only right that the 'sacred' public sector face reality like the private sector has had to do since the year dot!

I agree cuts are inevitable but the choice of cuts and speed of cuts is up for debate. The tory choice is too fast and hits the less well. I also think their ideas, if true, regarding council housing are shocking; to introduce fixed-term contracts is just so wrong and will unsettle and destabilize numbers of vulnerable families and communities. I hope the Lib-Dems press this home. Stopping the right-to-buy will go some way to improving housing stock.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
It was sustainable debt that pretty much every country works within, it was just f***ed over by the greedy bankers. :thumbsup:

When there was a period of economic growth in the '90s the government of the time built up a budget surplus, which is an entirely prudent thing to do (though it was slightly fortuitous that they were able to do so if I recall correctly). We had a similar period of growth in the '00s, what did the government of that time do?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
What Labour did do was invest billions in the economic blackholes of the North...Leeds, Sheffield, Doncaster, Liverpool by siting Government jobs there (Liverpool 40% of jobs are public sector) This employment has revitalised the local economy with the salaries going on the private sector shops, pubs etc.

The Tories will shit all over that I imagine and plunge those areas back into poverty and tell the locals to "get on their bikes" for work elsewhere.

I'm not sure that Labours policy was sustainable long term...certainly not when the wheels fell off the economy...but I can see the merit of giving people the self respect to earn a wage and give them a work ethic which will benefit their kids and the community.

I think Cameron is an intinctive Tory, free enterprise, a small state, personal ambition is king...I just think that there are vast areas of this country where the locals have no f***ing idea how to sort themselves out and they are about to get the shoeing of their lives.

It'll end in tears.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
When there was a period of economic growth in the '90s the government of the time built up a budget surplus, which is an entirely prudent thing to do (though it was slightly fortuitous that they were able to do so if I recall correctly). We had a similar period of growth in the '00s, what did the government of that time do?

Invest in social reform I think..

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Erm, yes we would, maybe not to the same degree perhaps - but the Labour Government had been happily overspending on the basis that they'd "abolished boom and bust" since 1997. They didn't seem to ever have a plan for paying the defecit back other than through growth - which was perpetually in a couple of years time.

They were a bit like the character of Wimpy in the Popeye cartoons in that respect.

I should add that I support us as a nation sending aid to any country where a natural disaster such as this has occurred. Some people in the world like to portray us as ignorant, self-absorbed savages, we are not.

Erm wrong. Think you will find for the first term the Government were actually paying off the national debt rather than adding to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here