Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This could turn out to be a STUNNING World Cup....

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Anyone now feels they can beat anyone. Teams have to start playing for wins now, not draws. The "minnows" are not scared of the "big guns".

There is also the prospect of the most exciting last round of group games EVER in the competition. England, Spain, Italy, France, Portugal, Ivory Coast all certain to go into their final group games needing at least a draw to progress to the 2nd round, and in some cases a win.

Yes, it has been rubbish so far, but anyone who doesn't realise that this has simply set-up the remainder of the group games PERFECTLY is quite frankly, dumb.

After an inauspicious start, this could be a STONKER.

*awaits hordes of people moaning about the vuvuzelas, lack of goals etc etc and completely missing the point*

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Agreed, the world cup has now (at last) taken off. North Korea last night and especially the Swiss today have SPARKED the world cup into life. Just hope the Bafana boys can get a win tonight, that will be SUPERB.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Agreed, the world cup has now (at last) taken off. North Korea last night and especially the Swiss today have SPARKED the world cup into life. Just hope the Bafana boys can get a win tonight, that will be SUPERB.

Its like the "plot" of the World Cup has been revealed today. VERY excited now, it feels like the first day of the World Cup all over again.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
To be fair i've enjoyed it the whole way through, it seems that people have to have goals to consider the games exciting. The last couple of days especially have been great and can't wait for Seeeeth Africa tonight

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
To be fair i've enjoyed it the whole way through, it seems that people have to have goals to consider the games exciting. The last couple of days especially have been great and can't wait for Seeeeth Africa tonight

That's not a fair comment. The games have neither had goals nor been exciting as far as I can see. Today has been good though!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
There are been very few games that have been close to exciting, The low point was weh the Ivory Cost started to corner flag it at 0-0 from there corner they had in the last few minutes.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I hope you're right Chesmeister. It's been a let down so far. Like a favourite relative called..erm...Uncle World Cup, who I haven't seen for four years, turning up and acting like a sad, boring old sod. So I've sent him packing and said not to return until he finds that old magic.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I hope you're right Chesmeister. It's been a let down so far. Like a favourite relative called..erm...Uncle World Cup, who I haven't seen for four years, turning up and acting like a sad, boring old sod. So I've sent him packing and said not to return until he finds that old magic.

Its going to burst into life. The repercussions of the 1st game results - France, Portugal, Ivory Coast, England, Spain and Italy all drawing or losing + the growing confidence of the "minnows" - will ensure that.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I agree, except it seems more and more blatant this is becoming all in favour for the Germans who absolutely hammer australia while the 'supposed no1 of the world' is beaten by switzerland and The 'mighty' Brazil concede to North Korea, who were the complete outsiders of the tournament, I think the real competition is just about to begin...

Shifty89

Sep 29, 2007
Anyone now feels they can beat anyone. Teams have to start playing for wins now, not draws. The "minnows" are not scared of the "big guns".

Switzerland were playing for the draw from the off, got lucky and scored and ended up winning. surely if anything this will encourage the lesser teams to adopt this negative tactic, creating even more dull games of non-football.
Chile on the other hand went for it from the off and on another day they could have won very handsomely which may have been an inspiration to others that attacking can work, shame they were a bit wasteful upfront really. i really hate this park the bus mentality that has dominated this world cup.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
I was impressed with Chile. They're going to have some BELTING games this tournament - very attacking & lots of flair. I've decided to make them my second team. And they have a player called PONCE

My outside bet for a stonking tourny. Still worth lumping it on Chile making the semi's.

tottenhamseagull

Jul 7, 2008
I was impressed with Chile. They're going to have some BELTING games this tournament - very attacking & lots of flair. I've decided to make them my second team. And they have a player called PONCE

Same here..... Also looking forward to a potential Brazil vs Spain in the next round

Oct 25, 2003
yeah, it's almost getting better game by game

after being all negetive in the first games, teams are starting to actually try and WIN games, which is nice

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here