Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Third highest Albion attendance

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Hiney

Strangely the Old Man remembers the 78 Spurs home game as one of the best ever matches he attended at the Goldstone.

Nothing strange about it. We were brilliant that day. Spurs were still seen as one of the top clubs in the Country and we absolutely destroyed them.

The violence was horrendous but in a strange way it made the win all the most sweet. Those three seasons from 1976/77 to 1978/79 were f***ing unbelievable.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Questions

"There was a 45 minute battle for the roof of the tea hut under the west stand."

Was it not the Radio box rather than a Tea Hut?

No it was definetly the tea hut/bar under the west stand. Had cement rendering on the back of it that made a excellant weapon when there was a metre of felt attached to it. Not that I was involved you must understand:D

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Whilst this thread is off topic.

The Old Man also goes on about an away trip to Cardiff about the same time.
We lost 4-1 and it looked like we had fu@ked the chance of getting promotion. Albion fans were kept in under the stand at the end of the game, with Cardiff amongst them, threatening to kick there heads in once outside.

Also facing a very dodgy walk back to the train station.

But what did the mad fu@ker and the rest of them do?
As an act of defiance, starting chanting GOSBTS!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Nothing strange about it. We were brilliant that day. Spurs were still seen as one of the top clubs in the Country and we absolutely destroyed them.

The violence was horrendous but in a strange way it made the win all the most sweet. Those three seasons from 1976/77 to 1978/79 were f***ing unbelievable.

Us old gits will never have that feeling again. Even if we scale those dizzy heights again in our lifetime I`m sure it will have a sanitised feel to it all.

Mind you I suppose Hull fans would disagree at the moment.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
ELO ELO WE ARE THE TOTTENHAM BOYS ELO ELO!:jester::cheers::whistle:

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
No it was definetly the tea hut/bar under the west stand. Had cement rendering on the back of it that made a excellant weapon when there was a metre of felt attached to it. Not that I was involved you must understand:D

Questions

The Old Man also mentioned that a 13' scaffold board featured at some point.

Although I am now worried his story might have "grown" over the years!!

So Questions. Tea hut it is.

I have always wondered what it might have been like to watch a match at the Goldstone from the top of the tea hut in the West Stand.???

We lost 4-1 and it looked like we had fu@ked the chance of getting promotion. Albion fans were kept in under the stand at the end of the game, with Cardiff amongst them, threatening to kick there heads in once outside.

QUOTE]

Was that the day the charter train got pelted with rubble from inside Ninian Park?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I remember the Spurs game all too well. For some reason I was in the East Stand, rather than my normal spot in the North Stand just to the right of the goal. My brother, unfortunately, was in the North Stand and ended up with several broken ribs after being crushed against railings. Not funny.

Mind you, as Hiney rightly points out, our awesome performance on the pitch, with a well deserved 3-1 win (and yes, Paul "Tank" Clark did score) was at least some compensation.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008

QUOTE]

Was that the day the charter train got pelted with rubble from inside Ninian Park?

Nottseagull

Not sure, will try and find out.

But what he goes on about that game, is that most of them were "scarfers" and old boys but still had the "bottle" to sing it. Even though they knew it would wind up the Cardiff and lead to them getting even more of a good hiding, than they were going to get. :lolol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Questions

The Old Man also mentioned that a 13' scaffold board featured at some point.

Although I am now worried his story might have "grown" over the years!!

So Questions. Tea hut it is.

I have always wondered what it might have been like to watch a match at the Goldstone from the top of the tea hut in the West Stand.???

You have to picture the scene Fazz. 20 odd Brighton fans up there with Spurs fans trying to climb up and being pelted around the chops as they get close. Meanwhile a little old lady still trying to sell tea, coffee and Bovril underneath all this chaos. How long they stayed open I dont remember but once the roof (ammunition and weapons) had been used I think they gave up inside and most of the Brighton climbed into the west stand to get more ammo, ie seats and things.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
You have to picture the scene Fazz. 20 odd Brighton fans up there with Spurs fans trying to climb up and being pelted around the chops as they get close. Meanwhile a little old lady still trying to sell tea, coffee and Bovril underneath all this chaos. How long they stayed open I dont remember but once the roof (ammunition and weapons) had been used I think they gave up inside and most of the Brighton climbed into the west stand to get more ammo, ie seats and things.

Questions

Thats what I like to here ......................

"Meanwhile a little old lady still trying to sell tea, coffee and Bovril underneath all this chaos."

Bring back the "Bulldog Spirit" that this country is sadly missing from its modern day society.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Questions

Thats what I like to here ......................

"Meanwhile a little old lady still trying to sell tea, coffee and Bovril underneath all this chaos."

Bring back the "Bulldog Spirit" that this country is sadly missing from modern day society.

We`ll fight them on the Tea huts, we`ll fight them on the radio Brighton box. but we shall NEVER be defeated.

Unless its Millwall and then I`m f***ing right off.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Now all your get is a stupid Pole, who cant speak English.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
We`ll fight them on the Tea huts, we`ll fight them on the radio Brighton box. but we shall NEVER be defeated.

Unless its Millwall and then I`m f***ing right off.

We're scarier than Millwall.:jester::thumbsup:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Spurs had loads of TICKETS for the North Stand that day (they were sold at a reserve team game I seem to recall)

they didn't need to take the North Stand - they were already in there.

Along with Millwall in 76 or 77 (3 - 2 to us I think) when all the Millwall had surgical masks on Spurs was the worst I recall at the Goldstone. (Chelsea in 83 was pretty hairy too!)

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
Fellow posters.
Sorry to "hijack" this thread.
But need your help with a competition thats going on.

Click on this link and vote Goliath Bird Eating Spider before midnight.

2009 World's Hardest Creature- Group A- Land Beasts 2 - North Stand Chat

ps trust none of you "bubble" me to the MODS for abusing the competition rules. ???

I wouldn't bother. The cricket-frightening arachnid is getting beasted by the Grizzly. So unless you're coming mob-handed you'll be wasting your time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here