Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Third highest Albion attendance

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
What about West Ham and Millwall ? They were scary too.

They were, but it was the whole randomness of the violence at the Spurs game. There were so many people there who we didn't recognise, you didn't know if they were us or Spurs and if Spurs, whether they were going to kick our heads in!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The lack of a police presence was the norm in those days and I can remember Arsenal fans starting up in the north stand a couple of years later during an evening league cup match and the public address announcer pleading 2 or 3 times for the police to come and assist people who were being attacked and crushed.
Going back to the Spurs game though I would have to say that was the worst I have ever seen inside a ground. Outside seemed to be mayhem just about every game in those days.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
What about West Ham and Millwall ? They were scary too.

You saying Millwall it must have been late 70's early 80's when the Millwall lot totally trashed a train stopped at Lancing station.

We came home by car and went past the station just after the police had finished getting battered.

Can anyone else remember this and what year?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You saying Millwall it must have been late 70's early 80's when the Millwall lot totally trashed a train stopped at Lancing station.

We came home by car and went past the station just after the police had finished getting battered.

Can anyone else remember this and what year?

That was every year with Millwall.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Posters

OK, was worried about getting banned for going off thread topic. But for the record this is the Old Mans version of events and i dont disbelieve him.....................

Hundreds if not thousands of Spurs fans "invaded" the North Stand, picking on innocent fans such as "scarfers". They were then forced and crammed into the North West absolutely petrified. There was not one chant from the Albion fans as they were so scared. But about 15 minutes before "official" Kick Off they were so pissed off with what was happening. The "scarfers" and old boys started chanting GOSBTS as an act of defiance. This didnt go down well will the Spurs fans. At the same time a local Brighton pub outing arrived at the back of the North.
The rest is. As they say is history.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
specifically remember the train parked up at Lancing with no glass left in any of the windows i could see!!

Just wondered if anyone remembers seeing it or being on the train?

Cant see why Millwall fans would be going back home via Lancing but then again they were thick twats at the best of times.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
There has been a brilliant series of articles in the Collectors & Historians Society Newsletter recently - 'A History of Albion Crowd Disorder'.

For the Spurs game in '78, loads of Tottenham were arrested on Friday night but were bailed, allowing them to go the game the following day :jester:

Over the weekend, there were 91 arrests, 85 injuries with 20 serious enough to need hospital treatment. 20 Police were injured.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Posters

OK, was worried about getting banned for going off thread topic. But for the record this is the Old Mans version of events and i dont disbelieve him.....................

Hundreds if not thousands of Spurs fans "invaded" the North Stand, picking on innocent fans such as "scarfers". They were then forced and crammed into the North West absolutely petrified. There was not one chant from the Albion fans as they were so scared. But about 15 minutes before "official" Kick Off they were so pissed off with what was happening. The "scarfers" and old boys started chanting GOSBTS as an act of defiance. This didnt go down well will the Spurs fans. At the same time a local Brighton pub outing arrived at the back of the North.
The rest is. As they say is history.

Pretty much how it was. There was a 45 minute battle for the roof of the tea hut under the west stand. Finally held by Brighton fans fighting for their lives, ripping up the felt and boarding to smack around the heads of the Spurs fans trying to get up and at them.
Made me spill my Bovril the bastards.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Cant see why Millwall fans would be going back home via Lancing but then again they were thick twats at the best of times.

It could have been Pompey. 6th April 1977 - train from Portsmouth halted at Barnham as 'yobs urinated everywhere, ripped out seats and smashed lights'.

They ran riot in Hove, overturning cars and smashing windows. Loads of fighting in the ground. 29 arrests. 5 Albion and 15 Pompey in court the next day.

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
It could have been Pompey. 6th April 1977 - train from Portsmouth halted at Barnham as 'yobs urinated everywhere, ripped out seats and smashed lights'.

They ran riot in Hove, overturning cars and smashing windows. Loads of fighting in the ground. 29 arrests. 5 Albion and 15 Pompey in court the next day.

It was Millwall and Lancing station for sure Hiney, But can't remember the year.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
They were, but it was the whole randomness of the violence at the Spurs game. There were so many people there who we didn't recognise, you didn't know if they were us or Spurs and if Spurs, whether they were going to kick our heads in!

Hiney

Strangely the Old Man remembers the 78 Spurs home game as one of the best ever matches he attended at the Goldstone.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Pretty much how it was. There was a 45 minute battle for the roof of the tea hut under the west stand. Finally held by Brighton fans fighting for their lives, ripping up the felt and boarding to smack around the heads of the Spurs fans trying to get up and at them.
Made me spill my Bovril the bastards.

Questions

"There was a 45 minute battle for the roof of the tea hut under the west stand."

Was it not the Radio box rather than a Tea Hut?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Hiney

Strangely the Old Man remembers the 78 Spurs home game as one of the best ever matches he attended at the Goldstone.

We ripped them to pieces on the pitch. Paul Clarks goal was one of the best of that era. Shame that they and Saints had to contrive that goaless draw to deprive us of promotion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here