Man Utd in '79 52,641
Spurs in 1977 - 48,613
Liverpool in the 83 cup run 44,868
Corinthians in 1923 - 43,760
Arsenal in 1980 43,202
Liverpool in 1980 42,747
Man Utd - 10/1/81 42,208, 3/1/81 42,199, 28/11/81 41,911
Nigeria XI in 1981 40,000

I have a newspaper cutting showing that the attendance at Highbury topped 55,000 - would this just be for the number of tickets sold?
Also, I presume the Corinthians match was also FA Cup, but in which ground (or locality) was it played?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
SoG

You partly right. Spurs did get into the Northstand and many innocent Brighton fans, mainly the old boys and youngsters were forced into the North West corner. Many were absolutely petrified. However, according to my Old Man something then "happened" about 15 minutes before kick off involving the fans. If this thread was not about 3rd highest attendences I would elaborate further. It is an interesting piece of Albion folklore!!
I used to be a collector for the prize draw competition and had a complimentary pass for the West Terrace (below the Lego Stand) and saw the North Stand being invaded , a few minutes later I went down the cinder track at the side of the pitch to the South Stand as there was an overspill from the North west terrace into the West terrace. Cant remember the result but doubt very much Dazo's claim of 15000 Spurs fans in Brighton on the Friday night as the emergency services would have been overwhelmed.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Most of NSC have no idea of your age, but those who have grasped that you're a 'Spurs fan might think you were actually there - in which case I am defending you against the accusation in post #9 !

Haha, sorry.

Just thought you was being sarcastic.

TIP ; click "view public profile - to see age"

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Thank you to Hiney.
So it looks like it was the div2 play off final with Notts County as the third highest.
Question to Everest, where did you find the attendance for the Charity Shield final? I am not doubting you but 13,000 for a team that were champions of England does seem very low, when you consider the same game two years later still holds the largest recorded attendance.

Last edited:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I wanna hear Hineys view :cool:

:kiss:

I was in the South Stand.

I think the official allocation was 3,500 or something but there were loads in the ground - not 15,000 though. Don't forget we were getting gates of around 25,000 at that time so maybe around 7,000 Spurs MAXIMUM

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
I used to be a collector for the prize draw competition and had a complimentary pass for the West Terrace (below the Lego Stand) and saw the North Stand being invaded , a few minutes later I went down the cinder track at the side of the pitch to the South Stand as there was an overspill from the North west terrace into the West terrace. Cant remember the result but doubt very much Dazo's claim of 15000 Spurs fans in Brighton on the Friday night as the emergency services would have been overwhelmed.

SoG

"Cant remember the result"

He reckons Brighton won 3-1 and that one of his All time Albion favourites Paul Clark even scored a goal!

Last edited:

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I have a newspaper cutting showing that the attendance at Highbury topped 55,000 - would this just be for the number of tickets sold?
Also, I presume the Corinthians match was also FA Cup, but in which ground (or locality) was it played?

It was the FA Cup and was a 1st Round 2nd Replay at Stamford Bridge. We won 1-0

There was so much interest in the game because it was the first time Corinthians had been allowed to play in the nasty professional English Cup.

The first game at The Goldstone was 1-1 in front of 23,642 - a record at the time. The replay was at the old Crystal Palace and was again 1-1 after extra time.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
:kiss:

I was in the South Stand.

I think the official allocation was 3,500 or something but there were loads in the ground - not 15,000 though. Don't forget we were getting gates of around 25,000 at that time so maybe around 7,000 Spurs MAXIMUM

Hiney

I think most of the Albion in the North Stand also ended up watching the game in the South!!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Spurs 'supporters' numbered about 3000/3500 and entered the north stand at about 2.15 to 2.30 from the north east corner. They started punching anyone who where near them and I mean anyone. The subsequent rush to get away from the trouble left many people crushed at the botton of the north stand on the west side. The game was held up 3 times I think because of people spilling over onto the pitch to escape the crush.
As was the norm in those days the police were f***ing pathetic and did nothing to stop Spurs fans from dragging their knuckles around to the west side and attacking people in that area as well. There were plenty of twattish Brighton fans who didn`t help either but maybe that was more a case of just having to defend yourself. How someone wasn`t killed that day I will never know. I got lamped a couple of times by a Spurs fan who must have been about 40 but had the satisfaction of seeing his head repeatedly walloped against the Securicor van near the old radio Brighton box a couple of minutes later.
We then had to endure fences for years after because of that day. What a stupid decision that was, made by the club upon police advice. Hillsborough was no surprise to many people of my generation who had been through these sort of incidents in grounds.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I can remember the charge the spurs fans made.
The whole width of the pitch they charged towards the south stand.
Really scared my lad and lots of other youngsters.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Thank you to Hiney.
So it looks like it was the div2 play off final with Notts County as the third highest.
Question to Everest, where did you find the attendance for the Charity Shield final? I am not doubting you but 13,000 for a team that were champions of England does seem very low, when you consider the same game two years later still holds the largest recorded attendance.

That's the official attendance quoted in Tim Carder's book - there's one of those in the auction on Sunday as well, it's BRILLIANT.

The format of the Charity Shield was changed in 1912 or 1913. Up till then it had been between the Southern League Champions and the Football League Champions. Another reason for the massive attendance in 1913 could be the fact that the Charity Shield was between The Professionals and The Amateurs - that would have attracted huge interest back then I imagine.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
As was the norm in those days the police were f***ing pathetic and did nothing to stop Spurs fans from dragging their knuckles around to the west side and attacking people in that area as well. There were plenty of twattish Brighton fans who didn`t help either but maybe that was more a case of just having to defend yourself. How someone wasn`t killed that day I will never know. I got lamped a couple of times by a Spurs fan who must have been about 40 but had the satisfaction of seeing his head repeatedly walloped against the Securicor van near the old radio Brighton box a couple of minutes later.
QUOTE]

Questions

"There were plenty of twattish Brighton fans who didn`t help either but maybe that was more a case of just having to defend yourself."

Interesting view.
About 1,000 Spurs "invade" an area they had no right to be in. Just lashing out at innocent fans, forcing them into a corner. According to the Old Man the fans including the "scarfers" and old boys were pushed into a situation of having to defend themselves as there was no police presence to help them out.
Fact

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It was the FA Cup and was a 1st Round 2nd Replay at Stamford Bridge. We won 1-0

There was so much interest in the game because it was the first time Corinthians had been allowed to play in the nasty professional English Cup.

game-1.jpg

text-1.jpg

.. and yes that is Kerry Mayo in the bottom left hand corner.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Interesting view.
About 1,000 Spurs "invade" an area they had no right to be in. Just lashing out at innocent fans, forcing them into a corner. According to the Old Man the fans including the "scarfers" and old boys were pushed into a situation of having to defend themselves as there was no police presence to help them out.
Fact
The reason OB didn't get involved was that they didn't want to end up as hospital patients. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here