Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And that is........?
Sorry box I felt I was just droning on, so I stopped, obviously at the important bit!.

We keep all their toys in a toy box.
When they were puppies, and caught or even thinking about chewing something that's not theirs, they got a swift a-aa.
Then lead straight to their box and given something to chew for which they were stoopidly praised for.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
My dog has an ample suply of raw hide chew bones.

He happily gnaws away at them for hours and that seems to appease his desire to chew things.

My Missus gave me the option of a baby or a puppy......I went for the puppy, she's a Colly cross German shepherd, 8 weeks old and she pisses, shits and chews non stop; but the ol' girl is well happy!! It seems to me that a baby would probably easier to cope with! When the kids finally put her down!! peace can finally be restored before she has a play with me!! I have to say that she is gorgeous and I'm looking forward to her being a bit older when me and me missus can spend time taking her for long walks along Shoreham beach and the Downs!

Don't get one that the kids might damage, or that might damage the kids.
Dogs do tend to fit their breed's generalizations, therefore a lab will be a friendly personality and good with children generally, but will always be looking for something to devour, spaniels constantly want to chase a ball, terriers like to hunt and kill smaller animals, akitas sometimes want to kill all animals, huskies are mellow friendly and cheerful but like to escape, run in a straight path until they are totally lost.

Treat a dog with respect and with the care you might think is normal for a child. They can learn and they develop with education and attention. Dogs always appreciate kindness.
They are almost always interested in making themselves an indispensable part of the family - it's a thing from their 'pack' nature. Thus they will protect and watch the pack and belongings, and the territory.....from people and from other animals.

Rescue animals can sometimes have issues and the RSPCA cannot be relied on to tell what they know, but if careful about choosing from the shelter they do seem to know and appreciate that they've been saved and will repay with loyalty.

Shepherds and shep mixes are often easier to train, and tend to be intelligent.
Greyhounds and whippets are built to run, so need to be given the kinds of walk that allows for that. Small dogs like daschunds, shizus and scotties manage to exercise well in a smaller space.

I'd suggest letting a kid/kids help in picking out the pet too.

With cats, it's best to let them pick you.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The kids keep badgering me. Personally I've never had a dog before.

Can the wise and the great give me some dog owning tips? What type to get, best pooper scooper brand, food, that sort of thing.

Cheers

Got to be a lurcher; wonderfull with kids, fantastic to walk - fantastic seeing them run like the wind, really robust, trustworthy (unless you're a rabbit), really really cheap on vets bills, don't get fat, age really really well - in fact there are no draw backs!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
If you get a dog Sim then i strongly recommend a Labrador.They really are the ultimate family dog.

If you want a family dog and a good guard dog then it has to be the German Shepherd.Take into account though these dogs are intelligent so some form of self training etc would stimulate it.They are super dogs to work with as well as the Lab.

I would also go for a bitch as well.

My family have had some cracking dogs down the years and my mothers dog is probably my favorite though.It's a staffy on her last legs.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I have only ever had gun dogs (ie Cockers, springers, pointers), most loyal and intelligent dogs you will find, they do need plenty of excercise so this needs to be a factor ie: where you live, can you take them on good walks?

Without the excercise, they can get a little mental!

If you get a dog Sim then i strongly recommend a Labrador.They really are the ultimate family dog.

If you want a family dog and a good guard dog then it has to be the German Shepherd.Take into account though these dogs are intelligent so some form of self training etc would stimulate it.They are super dogs to work with as well as the Lab.

We used to have a Labrador/Alsatian cross - looks of an Alsatian, temperment of a Lab. All black, absolutely gorgeous. My favourite ever dog. :smile:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
LabradorRetriever.jpg

We have a winner! :love:

Labs are good but they are inclined to stray (most mongrels have some lab in them) and they will also eat anything and everything. A collie is a good bet as they are good with kids and very smart. They do like a lot of exorcise though. Springer Spaniels are good but the smaller Cocker is a bit hard to train.

Mind you if you see a rescued dog you like you should get a smart dog who will always be grateful and what's more it should be both house trained and past the chewing stage.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
Greyhounds and whippets are built to run, so need to be given the kinds of walk that allows for that.

Not true. Greyhounds are the laziest dogs on the planet. A couple of 30-45 minute on-lead walks a day, and a 90-second play with his toys is plenty for ours. He sleeps the rest of the day. And that's very typical of the breed. You don't get a much more low-maintenance dog than a greyhound.

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
Not true. Greyhounds are the laziest dogs on the planet. A couple of 30-45 minute on-lead walks a day, and a 90-second play with his toys is plenty for ours. He sleeps the rest of the day. And that's very typical of the breed. You don't get a much more low-maintenance dog than a greyhound.

Yes you can.

It's a fact that the English Bulldog needs vey litlle excercise due to it's design.

These dogs have very little stamina or infact do much.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I had a rescue racing Greyhound once.It was funny to watch when i took it to the park.It use to run around a invisble circuit.It did it's own excerise. :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here