Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Think-SAVE WATER!!!

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
i shower fast with the plug in the bath using a power shower,it's barely an couple of inches of water used,i then use the water to go in the water butt for use in the garden...

genuine query, when you remove the water from the bath do you use a siphon, thorough a window straight to the water butt.
Just a thought but if you fit an aerator shower head you could have a longer shower but only use the same amount of water.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Especially for us living in Sussex what would it cost the water companies to pipe sea water into the reservoirs and then treat the water I know it has been said in the past that salination is expensive but what would the extra cost be to householders if this was done.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
genuine query, when you remove the water from the bath do you use a siphon, thorough a window straight to the water butt.
Just a thought but if you fit an aerator shower head you could have a longer shower but only use the same amount of water.

I have a fish tank pump that pulls it into a bucket,then i use the stairs-lot of work,for little reward in the short term,but it helps-if i am lazy i use a cup

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
31 billion
Total capacity, in litres of Bewl reservoir, which Southern Water is seeking a drought order to refill.

35 billion
Litres of water lost each year by Southern Water through leaks.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not picking holes but how much do fireman waste when practising with their hose pipes or does it all get recycled like car washes.

At what rate does the water come out of the pipes is it a set 100 gals a minute or whatever.

Last edited:

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
Or stop building more houses. Simple fact is they stick all these houses up especially here in mid sussex and dont actually think about the impact on utilities.

Of course we could do a Cina here and impose a one child policy on couples. Afterall population increase also puts pressure on water supplies and utlities.

Or a cap on imigration. Country is full and we cant cope as it is.

To be honest we're caught in a nasty circle and we'll just have to use our brains to survive.

Spot on! There wouldn't be a water shortage if there weren't so many people. I would take the green cranks a lot more seriously if their number one policy was population concern.
The idea of a Chinese style imposition in our country is obviously untenable, but I do think it should be regarded as selfish and irresponsible for anyone to have more than two or three children in this overpopulated country on an over populated planet.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Spot on! There wouldn't be a water shortage if there weren't so many people. I would take the green cranks a lot more seriously if their number one policy was population concern.
The idea of a Chinese style imposition in our country is obviously untenable, but I do think it should be regarded as selfish and irresponsible for anyone to have more than two or three children in this overpopulated country on an over populated planet.

On the other hand with the uk's ageing population we need all these children to provide for us in our old age

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has said that he will be installing webcams in all the daft bints showers, and we will be able to check in the Mods area of NSC if they are making much effort to save water.

Danny Seagull has kindly offered to summarise the activities.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Environmental campaigners might tell you that we are drawing more water than we should, rivers and streams are running dry and wildlife is suffering as a result

They would also tell us the ice caps are melting and the oceans are rising.

This weekend I filled my swimming pool to 6 inces below the top, this avoids the constant need to "top up" due to spillage from waves made by jumping in.

I feel I have done my bit.:D

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Or stop building more houses. Simple fact is they stick all these houses up especially here in mid sussex and dont actually think about the impact on utilities.

Of course we could do a Cina here and impose a one child policy on couples. Afterall population increase also puts pressure on water supplies and utlities.

Or a cap on imigration. Country is full and we cant cope as it is.

To be honest we're caught in a nasty circle and we'll just have to use our brains to survive.
It's a valid point. We need new houses to house our growing population and there is more than a whiff of good ol' British hypocrisy about the whole thing. Or to put it another way you can't go on a march protesting about the BNP's immigration policy one week, and then a demo protesting about a new by-pass, housing estate or reservoir the next. Well, not without looking a complete hypocritical twat you can't. (Or unless you think all immigrants should be crammed twelve to a room in somewhere like Tower Hamlets and only let out to do menial jibs at below the Minimum Wage).

Sorry, I don't want to turn this into an immigration debate, but the size of our population means there is increased pressure on the environment. My own view is the environment has to come second and people should come first. I know others will see that as a short-term view and disagree, but there you go. That's politics for you!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Do as they do in australia. New houses must have water tanks sunk underneath them (yard or driveway), I think its mandatory solar panels too for heating water. Simples.

I wish I could get a tank to go under my back garden but they are too bloody expensive to ship here, and as I'm in a conservation area the solar panels are a very difficult prospect. So I'm sticking with my 2 water butts at the moment (soon to become 3) and then we're looking at water recycling too (bath/shower/washing machine). Shame it has to take some hose pipe bans in spring to get everyone thinking abou it.

Do as they do in australia. New houses must have water tanks sunk underneath them (yard or driveway), I think its mandatory solar panels too for heating water. Simples.

I wish I could get a tank to go under my back garden but they are too bloody expensive to ship here, and as I'm in a conservation area the solar panels are a very difficult prospect. So I'm sticking with my 2 water butts at the moment (soon to become 3) and then we're looking at water recycling too (bath/shower/washing machine). Shame it has to take some hose pipe bans in spring to get everyone thinking abou it.

We're in a Conservation Area, solar panels weren't a problem for us. Maybe if you're going for wall-mounted - but who normally does this?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here