Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Things that have "No Place in Football"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
OK let's go with penny.

Glen Johnson scored a goal as good as that one last year, as sweet a volley as you will see, from MILES out. GLEN JOHNSON. You getting my point?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It doesn't matter what example you're using - ANY example of it is shite.

What suffix should we use then? As it's painful in conversation to have to explain the whole situation to people who probably already know about it. And simply stupid, and a waste of time.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You DON'T think he was a quality player? Or do you think he was a dime a dozen those days?
no he was a "qualla" player,not dime a dozen, but there were lots of flair players then , not the 5 or 6 in every team that some people would have you believe, but one of the things you dont see nearly as much these days is players taking on and beating the opposition .

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
OK let's go with penny.

Glen Johnson scored a goal as good as that one last year, as sweet a volley as you will see, from MILES out. GLEN JOHNSON. You getting my point?

I scored an absolute belter from about 30 yards out, against some foreign students, into a five a side goal, in Saltdean park, some time in the eighties. I have never forgotten it. That was ME, from MILES out, against EUROPEAN OPPOSITION. That does not make me as good as George Best.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
*ahem ahem cough cough*

I would love to know how this little gem has slipped through the net.

OOoooo....good spot Spanish.

That has to be a wind-up though, I can't believe anyone would seriously, seriously even begin to compare Glen Johnston with George Best.

Xenophon's right, Best would be off the scale in today's game.

To look it at in reverse, can you imagine the likes of Ronaldo playing against Norman Hunter or Tommy Smith on a 70s mudbath? He'd be crying five minutes after kick-off/

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
no he was a "qualla" player,not dime a dozen, but there were lots of flair players then , not the 5 or 6 in every team that some people would have you believe, but one of the things you dont see nearly as much these days is players taking on and beating the opposition .

Perhaps defenders are better now? Perhaps tactics and positional awareness are far more developed? Old school full backs were absolutely hilarious compared to the top full backs nowadays.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
You DON'T think he was a quality player? Or do you think he was a dime a dozen those days?

How many players today could score a goal like Frank's for Bolton? Five off the ground touches, the last a volley from over his own head on the turn. He WAS a rarity then, he would be a rarity today too - only a stronger, fitter one.

Ronaldo in the same position would have went down clutching his face as the cross came in from the left

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Perhaps defenders are better now? Perhaps tactics and positional awareness are far more developed? Old school full backs were absolutely hilarious compared to the top full backs nowadays.
perhaps , who knows? we'll agree to disagree , i'll carry on arriving from 1-5 minutes late after kick off through squeezing in that one last pint, to have to get up for a piss 30 seconds after sitting down and you can carry on marvelling at the technical expertise on display at the likes of roots hall.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What suffix should we use then? As it's painful in conversation to have to explain the whole situation to people who probably already know about it. And simply stupid, and a waste of time.

And therein lies the problem, and the mere fact you're not understanding it is the central point.

It doesn't need a suffix. The suffix '-gate' has no value and no meaning, aside from short-cutting people into believing that 'something scandalous' has happened.

People who don't know about it would need an explanation anyway, and those that do know about it don't need to be insulted by the use (or over-use) of a misused and meaningless phrase. The sooner you can describe something without resorting to this irrelevance, the sooner you will appreciate that any pain you may suffer by learning to describe something coherently and concisely will all soon diminish and was unnecessary in the first place.

If you really want a label, how about 'TLO's flounce' or 'TLO's comments on REMF'. How's that for being coherent and concise? 'BollockstoREMFgate' has absolutely no meaning whatsoever.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
And therein lies the problem, and the mere fact you're not understanding it is the central point.

It doesn't need a suffix. The suffix '-gate' has no value and no meaning, aside from short-cutting people into believing that 'something scandalous' has happened.

People who don't know about it would need an explanation anyway, and those that do know about it don't need to be insulted by the use (or over-use) of a misused and meaningless phrase. The sooner you can describe something without resorting to this irrelevance, the sooner you will appreciate that any pain you may suffer by learning to describe something coherently and concisely will all soon diminish and was unnecessary in the first place.

If you really want a label, how about 'TLO's flounce' or 'TLO's comments on REMF'. How's that for being coherent and concise? 'BollockstoREMFgate' has absolutely no meaning whatsoever.
just leave it for fucks sake.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
perhaps , who knows? we'll agree to disagree , i'll carry on arriving from 1-5 minutes late after kick off through squeezing in that one last pint, to have to get up for a piss 30 seconds after sitting down and you can carry on marvelling at the technical expertise on display at the likes of roots hall.

That's the reason I always sit on the end of a row at Withdean. Three pints in the Station before kick-off, everything's ok at the turnstiles, but as soon as my arse hits the seat in Block G the seal is broken, and once it breaks, it stays broken. :drink:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The use of the phrase 'there was contact' when debating a penalty claim. :wozza:

The use of the phrase "he got the ball" when discussing a foul.

Pundits/"experts" who have no clue on the rules (sorry "laws").

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Atilla's choice of music

:)

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Naming your new stadium after famous foreign ones with evocative names, that just sound f***ing TOTALLY SHIT AND CNTISH when they are in the North East of England and it gets dark at 2pm during most of the football season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here