Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Things Gareth Southgate might be good at.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Beekeeping

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A Dementor in the Harry Potter series.

..".they drain peace, hope, and happiness out of the air around them... Get too near a Dementor and every good feeling, every happy memory will be sucked out of you." (Remus Lupin)

Or something in HR.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A Dementor in the Harry Potter series.

..".they drain peace, hope, and happiness out of the air around them... Get too near a Dementor and every good feeling, every happy memory will be sucked out of you." (Remus Lupin)

Or something in HR.
I see him more as a Professor Quirrell myself.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A (deputy) quiche quality assurance inspector.

fruitnveg

Jul 22, 2010
Waitrose. Veg aisles
To be fair, he's shown he's quite decent at qualifying for tournaments.
And also good at getting through to the knockout stage and progressing thereafter, reaching finals and semifinals. I think he's probably got the best record of any England manager since Sir Alf Ramsey. Yet for all that, people are not impressed.
Because we have eyes and watch the 'football' on offer.

As for Southgate: Lingering like a bad smell.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
And also good at getting through to the knockout stage and progressing thereafter, reaching finals and semifinals. I think he's probably got the best record of any England manager since Sir Alf Ramsey. Yet for all that, people are not impressed.
I'm with you, typical knee jerk reactions after one average performance. 4 points from 2 good sides. Serbia and Denmark are no mugs, they have top players playing in top leagues. People think these teams will just roll over and we should win 4-0 every time. Southgate has made us an international team to fear, we are very hard to beat and have world class forwards. He plays the long game, Marathon, not a sprint. We used to be a Clueless rabble at International tournaments. 0-0 v Algeria anyone ? 4-1 against Germany? At Euro 96 we couldn't beat Switzerland at home. Against Spain we were awful, yet people look back and think we were wonderful, and dare I say it, subjective of course, Southgate wouldn't have made the errors that Venables did that lost it. Bobby Robson is regarded fondly by England fans but remember Euro 88? We lost every game and we was the worst team in the whole tournament. We didn't even qualify in 2008

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
gareth-southgate.gif

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
To be fair, he's had a very long time in the job, had excellent groups of players, enjoyed a very easy run to the World Cup Semi and also had home advantage for the last Euros. Qualifying for tournaments is far easier than in the past as there are so many more teams with a diluted pool of talent. He has underachieved by a long way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here