Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thieving bastard squirrels

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Now the weather is getting colder I am trying to do my bit to help the birds survive winter by feeding them regularly. The trouble is the thieving squirrels who eat everthing I put out. I have bought a squirrel proof nutfeeder, seed dispenser and suet feeder that hang from the tree and are doing a grand job. My problem is that the "squirrel proof" ground feeder that supplies food to birds such as robins is constantly breached by the furry thieves who clean it out in record time. Someone told me to add chilli powder to the nuts as squirrels hate it. To cut a long story short my last attempt again ended in failure.

My recipe started by marinating a bowl of peanuts, overnight in asian chilli oil, a quarter bottle of tabasco sauce and half a jar of out of date chilli pepper pete's "hellish relish". The next morning I added a tablespoon of very hot chilli powder, stirred well and deposited in the ground feeder - see picture 1.

After 1 hour the results can be seen in picture 2 ( I caught the bugger sitting in the cage eating the nuts)

Could it be that I have mexican squirrels?

Attachments

• Image062.jpg
    Image062.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 115
  • Image063.jpg
    Image063.jpg
    452.3 KB · Views: 115

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Hmmm Mexicanus horribulus tend to like the warmer climate of Mexico but those noises in the back of articulated lorries cannot always be put down to large pods of mexicans in squirrel costumes to avoid deportation,i would imagine by now Mexicanus Horribulus has cunninly disguised itself into a heavily pregnant polish farmer and now roaming free in suburbia. Thanks for the recipe btw.:thumbsup:

Robins love living in IVy if you have any near you put some feed near that.

Otherwise you are just feeding the greys.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I live in Squirrels Close so we are inundated with the little terrors. They do however give us hours of entertainment.

Its a never ending challenge if you want to feed the birds, in particular if the squirrels dont even bother hibernating, which is often the case with town squirrels.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Why would you wanna hibernate when people are cooking you mexican food ? Bet their all rubbing their paws together saying in squizzel speak Roll on winter ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here