Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

There's this bloke at work...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you have to say come on in and enjoy the Albion. If he deserts down the road, so be it. we cant get precious about who is and isnt a fan when we will have a 20K+ stadium to fill soon. even "slagfans", as easy10 so delicatly put it, have money to buy tickets, shirts and other merchandise, possible more as they need to show their new support.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
He's just lent me 'Inverting the Pyramid - The History of Football Tactics' by Jonathan Wilson. Looks a good one.

I’m part way through that at the moment. I’ve given it a break as I found the incompetence of the Charge of the light brigade and our efforts in the Crimea a more diverting read. Both of which could have been managed better by Geoff Wood.

It’s not exactly laugh a minute and I find my mind wandering quite a lot. I feel like I’ve been reading it forever and the formation is still 2-3-5 with no sign of the pyramid being inverted.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well he can hardly be called a Glory hunter if he changes his allegiance to the Albion. I arrived in Brighton as an armchair radio listening Spurs fan and made the switch so it'd be somewhat hypocrital for me to tell him to f*** off. My switch was the start of the Wardy era, it's been downhill since a few years after that, but I did ride the glory train.

*failed gloryhunter*

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Does he have a humongously large beer belly, and if so will he get BHA tattoed across it, and attend games without a shirt on in the middle of January and wobble his belly about?

If so, get him in.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Show him this picture... if he laughs then he's in, if he gets all defensive and has a pop at the Mackem then he has clearly not seen the error of his ways!

_45905819_toonsign2.jpg

The guy is basically a slagfan. Latches on to whatever he fancies, then gets bored or fed up and starts looking around for another club to wave his crotch at. Sure he might stick around if we're doing well, but you couldn't trust him not to do the dirty as soon as we hit a bad patch. Slagfans have no concept of loyalty. Once he's been to a goalless draw against Yeovil on a wet Tuesday in February, he'll start looking around elsewhere, and will probably drop the Albion for the first team he see's on the next Sky Sports "Super Sunday", then join the usual plastic wankfest with the rest of the JJB crew in front of the big screen.

Slagfans are alright in the short term - their money is as good as anyone elses - but he obviously won't stick around, and before you know it, he'll be comnig over all "I still look out for your result on Saturday though". Well, woo hoo.
That's enough about Alan.

What about his workmate who is a Newcastle fan?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
No. I think we should keep the fans we have and not bother expanding the fanbase. I'm actually kind of uneasy about people who were born outside Brighton and Hove supporting us. I mean, they can pay their money, sing the songs, freeze their bollocks of watching us but do they really understand what it means to be Brighton? If you're from Haywards Heath or somewhere similar do they really understand Brighton and the Albion. I'm not so sure. Why don't they stick with their local village team instead of following us around the country every bloody week?

That rules me out, then, born in Reading and that, only lived in Brighton for two years as a kid. Shit.

That rules me out, then, born in Reading and that, only lived in Brighton for two years as a kid. Shit.

Rules me out too, born in hated Portsmouth and moved here in the early 80's.

My grandad was a geordie. He supported whatever team played in Gateshead (and there were a few). Does this qualify me for appropriate derision?

Yes you are scum like myself, for not being born within the boundaries of Brighton or Hove or having relatives that were born elsewhere!

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Yes you are scum like myself, for not being born within the boundaries of Brighton or Hove or having relatives that were born elsewhere!

Qualify on both counts here too. Born and brought up in Haywards Heath and dad was a Barnsley supporting fully paid up Yorkshireman.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Strange as it may seem, I work with a guy in H/Heath who comes from Cornwall who is also a Newcastle Fan !....bizzarre

He however isnt ditching his team in there time of need.

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
...from Plymouth who lives in Brighton and is a long-standing Newcastle United fan. Don't ask. Anyhoo, he is so fed up of the embarrassing joke of a circus that Newcastle has become that he wants to cross over the road, so to speak, and start watching/supporting the Albion. I have been kind of selling it to him just how 'real world' Brighton & Hove Albion is, rather than the over-blown fantasy bollocks the Premiership is. He's a top bloke and loves his footy generally. My question is - do we welcome him with open arms into the fold, or sneer at him for being a lightweight who is just jumping ship from a club that has just been relegated? Over to you.
. You can change your clothes, you can change your friends, you can change your wife, but you can never change your football club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here