Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Problems are about to ease the EU nations are sending 27 tanker drivers (one from each member) to back up the British army effort
Boris said that's a typo and it's 127, not 27. Thank goodness there are 5000 Visas available.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
No Jammie Dodgers in our Tesco earlier - sort it out Boris

Damn. If I'd known, I would have bought and hoarded the one double pack I saw for 50p on a store shelf in Horsham today - sod the carers, I'm not dropping below one pack in the house for anybody.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Nearly all the local railway sidings and shunting yards were sold off for housing..I don't think we can go back.
No, we couldn't put them in the same place, obviously. Neither could we have a siding with a couple of wagins on it at every station.

We'd need four to six big distribution points, each despatching trains to a few local sites. Ideally near a motorway. The other diffculty would be changing the mindset of the rail freight industry - they are geared to running fixed trainloads from A to B - the idea of regularly sorting or shunting things is not on their radar.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I got a letter about returning to the industry as well, despite having retired. I don't miss the work or the lack of respect from other road users.
Your country needs you! Do your duty, sir! :)

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Have held off until today- need a tank of fuel for the weekend.

Hove update at 0645 /0700 today (Tues)

Sainsburys- closed- someone said they are now only open 10pm to 6am to avoid creating traffic jams.

Just had that confirmed by a member of staff although I was told 22.30 to 06.00. They have fuel just not opening outside those hours until queues are no longer an issue for entry to the actual store - so could be for the foreseeable future.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Asda at the Marina was open when my wife went to work at 5am this morning. No queues, & filled up completely for the first time with no limit on spend.
Her car has been at the mechanics for 4 weeks, so thankfully we have only needed fuel for one car so far - now have two, fully loaded, for a couple more weeks.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just had that confirmed by a member of staff although I was told 22.30 to 06.00. They have fuel just not opening outside those hours until queues are no longer an issue for entry to the actual store - so could be for the foreseeable future.

ASDA Hollingbury do similar, opening overnight only from 8pm. Otherwise the superstore would be blocked off, as would Carden Avenue in the daytime.

Works well.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
ASDA Hollingbury do similar, opening overnight only from 8pm. Otherwise the superstore would be blocked off, as would Carden Avenue in the daytime.

Works well.

Apart from last Friday....cars were queuing from the petrol forecourt out onto Carden Avenue at the Dacia garage end, & back to the A27 roundabout - so we had to drive in the other lane all the way down to the garage until we got past it...& then totally avoided going back that way as the cars in the other direction were queuing all the way down past Carden School and the parade of shops. Hopefully its a bit better now that more people have filled up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Apart from last Friday....cars were queuing from the petrol forecourt out onto Carden Avenue at the Dacia garage end, & back to the A27 roundabout - so we had to drive in the other lane all the way down to the garage until we got past it...& then totally avoided going back that way as the cars in the other direction were queuing all the way down past Carden School and the parade of shops. Hopefully its a bit better now that more people have filled up.

I was caught in that too.

Hence their sensible move to 8pm onwards opening times for fuel.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
All back to normal aren’t we? Drove up the A24 to just West of London earlier and every garage had fuel and no queues.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That was opening at 8pm....which then turned into 10pm because the tanker was late! :lolol:

One of the ladies stewarding said they take a tanker every daytime but won't let the hoardes in until 8pm.

Yep, on Tuesday night there was a NE heading queue on Carden, the crafty trick is to come down the hill of Carden the other way and turn left into Crowhurst.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
All back to normal aren’t we? Drove up the A24 to just West of London earlier and every garage had fuel and no queues.

Seems that way.

Just under 2 weeks since [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] started all this and things seem to have finally got back to normal.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Brooklands BP was virtually out of everything again last night when I passed

No fuel at the one near HH station this morning - pumps all tied up.

We're not all back to normal yet.

Very possibly simply a result of BPs on-going supply issues / dispute that has resulted in a number of their forecourts being dry at any one time; a situation that went largely unnoticed and without comment until their infamous press release a fortnight ago that was picked up by the media, resulting in chaos.

I should imagine that virtually everybody should be able to get any quantity, type and grade of fuel they want at present without either queuing or having to go too far out of their way.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Very possibly simply a result of BPs on-going supply issues / dispute that has resulted in a number of their forecourts being dry at any one time; a situation that went largely unnoticed and without comment until their infamous press release a fortnight ago that was picked up by the media, resulting in chaos.

I should imagine that virtually everybody should be able to get any quantity, type and grade of fuel they want at present without either queuing or having to go too far out of their way.

The HH one is a Texaco. There are others nearby which may or may not have fuel - I only drove past that one.

Joe 90

Sep 16, 2021
North lancing BP had some this morning, but as soon as a queue starts to form there is bedlam, especially if it coincides with the school run.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
not quite back to normal, but more and more stations are open for longer and longer before selling out. The two on the falmer to Lewes Dual carriage way were both open this morning, one is now closed. BP Gyratory was closed this morning but open now. ASDA Hollingburry closed day times it seems.

A few more days until all sites are open permanently I expect, I would imagine all the hoarders are now swimming in the stuff, allowing those who didnt panic and now must be on near fumes to fill up, so I expect demand is still a bit above normal in those areas that are just seeing the majority of sites opening at least part of the day

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here