Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Fighting now in Lewes. Young Shingle reporting two motorists fighting after accusations of queue jumping at Tesco Lewes. Tesco Stewards/Staff trying to intervene.

FFS, what is the matter with some people
Fiction television shows like the Walking dead really isn’t that far away from reality regarding the reactions of humanity in a crisis.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Fighting now in Lewes. Young Shingle reporting two motorists fighting after accusations of queue jumping at Tesco Petrol Station, Lewes. Tesco Stewards/Staff trying to intervene.

FFS, what is the matter with some people
It was almost dead there couple of hours ago

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No, no. no it will be a shortage of pumpkins for Halloween as lack of workers to harvest the pumpkins and a lack of drivers to deliver the pumpkins.

[tweet]1442070793156845573[/tweet]

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think with some of the media organisations in this country there is no hope of that :shrug:

But the reason I included the original BBC link was because I believe the state broadcaster reported the situation responsibly. The last line of my post is agreeing with you completely.

:

I disagree about the BBC’s coverage. The link you posted has a picture at the top of pumps with ‘sorry, out of use’ covers on them. The main part of the story is about problems at BP and Esso with a few lines at the foot of the article about zero problems at the likes of Morrison’s. It is this kind of reporting and editorial that is heavily criticized when carried out by the print media so I don’t think the BBC should escape the same criticism. I speak as a big supporter of the BBC. It is entirely factual that I brought forward my fuel purchase to Thursday after seeing their BBC News 24 story, when I might in other weeks have left it a couple more days, as I didn’t immediately need the car.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Mars Bars are apparently running low. Apologies to you if you miss out all as I'm going to bulk buy a whole box.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I disagree about the BBC’s coverage. The link you posted has a picture at the top of pumps with ‘sorry, out of use’ covers on them. The main part of the story is about problems at BP and Esso with a few lines at the foot of the article about zero problems at the likes of Morrison’s. It is this kind of reporting and editorial that is heavily criticized when carried out by the print media so I don’t think the BBC should escape the same criticism. I speak as a big supporter of the BBC. It is entirely factual that I brought forward my fuel purchase to Thursday after seeing their story, when I might in other weeks have left it a couple more days, as I didn’t immediately need the car.

BP has warned it has had to "temporarily" close some of its petrol stations due to a shortage of lorry drivers. The oil firm said only "a handful" of sites were affected by the fuel supply issues, which have led to a lack of unleaded and diesel fuel.There are around 1,200 BP branded petrol stations around the UK, of which 300 are operated by BP themselves. The company said it was working hard to address the issues.

Esso said that a "small number" of its 200 Tesco Alliance retail sites have been affected. "We are working closely with all parties in our distribution network to optimise supplies and minimise any inconvenience to customers. We apologise to our customers for any inconvenience," a spokesperson from Esso added.

Other petrol station operators have been approached by the BBC for comment.

However, supermarket Morrisons, which operates 338 petrol stations across the UK, said it was not seeing any similar issues at the moment.

Co-op runs 130 petrol stations in the country, and said it has a "full complement" of fuel delivery drivers.

Tesco also said that they have a "good availability of fuel" and both Sainsbury's and Asda said there are no current issues in their fuel supplies.

Not for the first (or I suspect the last time) we will have to agree to disagree :thumbsup: This was the line which would have made me panic

Downing Street has said people should continue buying fuel as normal.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I don’t think we have seen anything yet with the press starting to hype up lack of supplies at Christmas people will be clearing the shelves of toys and chocolates etc before Autumn.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

D

Deleted member 22389

I put some fuel in the car Thursday lunchtime as I was getting low. At that point everything was situation normal. I imagine there was 1% of filling stations experiencing supply issues but nobody knew as it hadn’t been reported so everyone just behaved normally. Anyone encountering a closed filling station would have just driven to the next one and put the usual amount in. Everyone is happy and no problem. I had no inkling about supply issues at 1pm Thursday, because in the grand scheme of things, frankly there weren’t any.

Then sometime Thursday evening the BBC reported about fuel shortages, people started queuing and making repeat trips to fuel any vehicles they owned and by Friday morning the BBC were doing live broadcasts from busy but still just functioning petrol stations, reporting tanker driver shortages and a run on fuel. By Friday afternoon it was gridlock and by Friday evening filling stations were running dry. And we have never recovered from there. A manageable situation made completely unmanageable by irresponsible reporting given the vital nature of a stable fuel supply.

In a situation that has potential to go tits up, in my experience it’s often better not to tell people certain stuff for their own good as they will panic, making things ten times worse. Unless of course you want to create chaos.

:thumbsup:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
BP has warned it has had to "temporarily" close some of its petrol stations due to a shortage of lorry drivers. The oil firm said only "a handful" of sites were affected by the fuel supply issues, which have led to a lack of unleaded and diesel fuel.There are around 1,200 BP branded petrol stations around the UK, of which 300 are operated by BP themselves. The company said it was working hard to address the issues.

Esso said that a "small number" of its 200 Tesco Alliance retail sites have been affected. "We are working closely with all parties in our distribution network to optimise supplies and minimise any inconvenience to customers. We apologise to our customers for any inconvenience," a spokesperson from Esso added.

However, supermarket Morrisons, which operates 338 petrol stations across the UK, said it was not seeing any similar issues at the moment.

Co-op runs 130 petrol stations in the country, and said it has a "full complement" of fuel delivery drivers.

Tesco also said that they have a "good availability of fuel" and both Sainsbury's and Asda said there are no current issues in their fuel supplies.

Not for the first (or I suspect the last time) we will have to agree to disagree :thumbsup: This was the line which would have made me panic

I guess we will. I look at that article and think there is a big problem with fuel supply but luckily a few companies are ok. I thought the same about their tv coverage. It’s all about the prominence given to the picture and the balance and priority given to bad news over good. It is subtle but it is the same way a story is whipped up by the likes of the Daily Mail. Not sure I can defend the BBC on this one, particularly as it was their Thursday coverage that made me fill up.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think with some of the media organisations in this country there is no hope of that :shrug:

But the reason I included the original BBC link was because I believe the state broadcaster reported the situation responsibly. The last line of my post is agreeing with you completely.

Out of interest, where did you get these figures, because as I stated above, BP and Esso wouldn't release these figures initially, so I am wondering when they did actually release the figures

Thanks [emoji106]
It's not a state broadcaster, it's a public service broadcaster. Things have got bad in this country but we're not there yet....

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I'm off out :bigwave:

Out of interest, where did you get these figures, because as I stated above, BP and Esso wouldn't release these figures initially, so I am wondering when they did actually release the figures

[emoji2357][emoji112]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Texaco Aberystwyth half a mile away from Morrisons, all pumps working (8) no queue 3 people Inc myself filling up at 136.5p , headed off to get shopping and you literally can't get in the car park for cars queuing for fuel at 135p, traffic in and out at a complete standstill with Heddlu scratching their heads as to what to do.

Just incredible that people are willing to waste a Sunday queuing for 1p per litre cheaper fuel whilst burning fuel.

Mental .

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Mars Bars are apparently running low. Apologies to you if you miss out all as I'm going to bulk buy a whole box.

You're going off-Topic here, and there's no need to be quite so smug about your Bounty.

But I've had a Tracker on the chocolate bar shortage, and – fingers crossed – it seems it Twirl pass without the same Ripple effect as fuel.

While it's not a Picnic out there just yet, no-one seems to be getting their Snickers in a twist over supplies.

But the real Crunchie will come when the BBC have to choose Twix telling the truth and Lion over whether deliveries are getting a Boost. Not an issue they can Fudge, really.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Texaco Aberystwyth half a mile away from Morrisons, all pumps working (8) no queue 3 people Inc myself filling up at 136.5p , headed off to get shopping and you literally can't get in the car park for cars queuing for fuel at 135p, traffic in and out at a complete standstill with Heddlu scratching their heads as to what to do.

Just incredible that people are willing to waste a Sunday queuing for 1p per litre cheaper fuel whilst burning fuel.

Mental .

Are you implying that Welsh people are acting like sheep?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
The amount of people trying to blame the bbc both on here and in the wider community is depressing. Do you morons have no critical thinking skills at all?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You're going off-Topic here, and there's no need to be quite so smug about your Bounty.

But I've had a Tracker on the chocolate bar shortage, and – fingers crossed – it seems it Twirl pass without the same Ripple effect as fuel.

While it's not a Picnic out there just yet, no-one seems to be getting their Snickers in a twist over supplies.

But the real Crunchie will come when the BBC have to choose Twix telling the truth and Lion over whether deliveries are getting a Boost. Not an issue they can Fudge, really.

07B4AF98-8646-4067-BF65-4C96A3A40805.jpeg

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
To be honest, I'm not sure of the time line on this, but the first I knew about it was when the BBC reported there was no need to panic buy.

Was there a BBC story before that, saying there was a shortage?

Same here, finished early workout and was notified by Sky News at c06:30am to tell me of a shortage.

It was pay day and I typically put a full tank in and refill once low.

From experience I knew there would be a panic so went to a garage before 7am. Normal headcount at the time. Went past same garage again at 08:30 on the school run and 10 cars waiting to get on the forecourt (unheard of for this out of the way garage)

Drove past it 9pm last night (30 cars off the forecourt) and again this morning 15 or so cars.

They have been pretty organised to be fair, reducing the entrance to one Lane to stop people cutting in and have dedicated rows for petrol and diesel.

Also if using cans maximum purchase £30 including tank and cans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here