Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] There's no need to panic buy petrol

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
BBC news are at a petrol station in Stockport desperately trying to scare monger but are failing miserably.

They were there on BBC Breakfast news too. It was a stunning piece of current affairs journalism:

Correspondent: - "How often do you get fuel deliveries?"
Site owner:- "Twice every 10 days."
Correspondent:- "And how long does each delivery last you?"
Site owner:- "Err, 5 days."

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Anyone on this thread NOT thinking of topping up petrol/diesel if they have less than a 1/4 of a tank?

Thought not, we are ALL panic buyers at times like this whilst slagging off others for doing it :lolol:

I am in France at the moment where there is no problem so far, first thing I did this morning was fill my tank to the brim :smile:

Whilst I've got about a 1/4 of a tank there is no point going out and queuing now. Thankfully not got any long drives scheduled so will just wait it out and hope it isn't mental by the time the weekend is over.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
[tweet]1441340407816749058[/tweet]

I notice the pictures are from Brighton and Tonbridge, not sure if this is an entirely south east phenomenon or just reflects the home counties bias of the Mail though TBH

express and mail both sensationalist guff for little britain.

Utter garbage

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Anyone on this thread NOT thinking of topping up petrol/diesel if they have less than a 1/4 of a tank?

Thought not, we are ALL panic buyers at times like this whilst slagging off others for doing it :lolol:

I am in France at the moment where there is no problem so far, first thing I did this morning was fill my tank to the brim :smile:

Even the term ‘panic buying’ is misleading. Taking the sensible decision to make sure you have what you need doesn’t involve panic.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm off to greece next week, does anyone want a couple of litres bringing back ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
[tweet]1441340407816749058[/tweet]

I notice the pictures are from Brighton and Tonbridge, not sure if this is an entirely south east phenomenon or just reflects the home counties bias of the Mail though TBH

Love it, we have now moved on to “Winter of discontent”

No doubt we will be moving on to the “coldest winter in living memory” shortly

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Yes. What's the flaw?

Got half a tank or more? Show 'em the door.

So how do you know how far someone is driving? Half a tank may not get them to their destination. Under your scheme would everyone have to prove their destination?

You are also expecting every garage to employ people to check every fuel gauge before filling up?

I can only assume, once again that it's all a bit tongue in cheek and that you are joking, as no-one could really be that stupid! Could they?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Well I'll try and get £20's worth at 1 of the 2 garages near work this lunchtime but all hope of being successful seems long gone :nono:

Would have had only a small wait at those garages as I zoomed past them before 9. FFS.
Got it.

BP garage at Burgess Hill, queues not bad. They had unleaded but diesel all gone. Not sure how long it's going to last as it was a constant sale from all pumps.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I had to queue a bit but managed to get some fuel from the Esso garage in Haywards Heath. The CAR in front of me purchased £5.10 worth of fuel !!!

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
They were there on BBC Breakfast news too. It was a stunning piece of current affairs journalism:

Correspondent: - "How often do you get fuel deliveries?"
Site owner:- "Twice every 10 days."
Correspondent:- "And how long does each delivery last you?"
Site owner:- "Err, 5 days."

Marvellous stuff. I actually feel sorry for BBC News. They’ve had their teeth pulled in terms of serious political reporting, and are forced to flap around picking up the scraps from the newspapers like a University newsroom.

Hey ho, we can now expect huge queues for two days, followed by unnecessarily closed forecourts for a couple of days, followed by a restock and slightly depressed demand for a couple of days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
So how do you know how far someone is driving? Half a tank may not get them to their destination. Under your scheme would everyone have to prove their destination?

You are also expecting every garage to employ people to check every fuel gauge before filling up?

I can only assume, once again that it's all a bit tongue in cheek and that you are joking, as no-one could really be that stupid! Could they?

Well, you fell for it...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Queues around the car park at Sainsbury, Faversham.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m starting to hear about Pringles and pop corn shortages across the EU……

:lolol:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I have a conspiracy theory

This is just an underhand move to get car drivers to go electric :wink:

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Love it, we have now moved on to “Winter of discontent”

No doubt we will be moving on to the “coldest winter in living memory” shortly

You just know we’ll have the coldest winter for years this year, just to make things even worse with the energy, fuel and food problems.
I fully expect an absolutely freezing winter !

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You just know we’ll have the coldest winter for years this year, just to make things even worse with the energy, fuel and food problems.
I fully expect an absolutely freezing winter !

Are you a Daily Mail journalist? :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here