Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

There's never a GOOD time to be an exile, but........

Hitchin Seagull

Jul 8, 2011
My first post - cos it's so good to hear from other people a bit cut off. Fan since '82, ex North Stand season ticket holder, only see half a dozen games a year now. Saw someone in my home town with a Brighton scarf in their car last week and nearly scared them to death honking and waving - it was so nice to see another Brighton fan locally! Biggest challenge is persuading my 10 year old son that Brighton are HIS team too. But I think last season did it - especially Peterborough away. For me, I'll have to keep looking to away games (great atmosphere anyway) and hope that tickets at the Amex come available in time...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My first post - cos it's so good to hear from other people a bit cut off. Fan since '82, ex North Stand season ticket holder, only see half a dozen games a year now. Saw someone in my home town with a Brighton scarf in their car last week and nearly scared them to death honking and waving - it was so nice to see another Brighton fan locally! Biggest challenge is persuading my 10 year old son that Brighton are HIS team too. But I think last season did it - especially Peterborough away. For me, I'll have to keep looking to away games (great atmosphere anyway) and hope that tickets at the Amex come available in time...
I'm adopting similar tactics in Wales :)

My three children are all Brighton supporters, my next door neighbors son (who plays for Cardiff City acadamy U9's) is also a convert :lolol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
i could have written this word for word myself, the other aspect that i am pretty gutted with is the lack of loyalty points, despite following this club to all corners of England like Macclesfield on a Tuesday evening and Carlisle (yes even when i lived in Brighton) since i started supporting them in 1976, despite having a season ticket at Gillingham and only missing two games in the two years we were there, despite being a season ticket holder at Withdean for the first two years and sitting in the pissing rain, it seems i am worth a grand total of no points. I wouldn't have bought a season ticket anyway because of the distance involved but when it comes to an exciting game, i am now waiting with anyone who is looking to go to their first ever football match.

Oh well, C'est la vie, maybe Portugal will cheer me up.

Are the Albas marauding into Teeside on December 10th , with Carlisle no longer a "home" match ?

NEASTGULL

Sep 30, 2006
Gateshead
Another exile here, born in Cuckfield & lived in East Grinstead hardly missing a game home or away from late 80's throughout the 90's (I held a season ticket at the Goldstone, Gillingham and the Withdean) before moving to Gateshead 9 years ago.

Now I have a family, live 340 odd miles away and am unlikely to be able to afford to get down to see the albion anytime soon.

To make matters worse, work commitments mean that I am unlikely to even get to the Middlesbrough away game!

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Great stories on this thread.

I knew I would be able to come over at the end of October for a week - flights booked well in advance but the fixtures computer let me down badly. Birmingham and Watford both away.

No AMEX for me until at least Christmas.

:tantrum:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Cant make Gillingham, Blackpool and Peterborough due to China hols. If there's interest let me know, My brother naturally has first refusal but he will likely be working.

Have PSL so can print of a paper ticket and post it if needs be.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Boys and girls there are so many loyal fans that never had season tickets for Withdean etc etc including myself, but i have been going to see the Albion HOME AND AWAY ! (the club i love) since i was 5 years old !!
Through thick and thin !
A lot of us were there, 1983 semi at Highbury, both finals at Wembley, Hereford (Robbie Reinelt GAWD BLESS HIM !), Millenium Stadium Cardiff, AND ALL THE REST !!
Be proud, be Blue and White Stripes ! BE ALBION !!
If i cant make it to any match, anyone is welcome to use my season ticket for free for that match !!!

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Another exile here. I have been going to games since the early 70s, when my Dad used to take me to the Goldstone. Have only been able to see a handfull of games each season for the last few years, but hope to make the trip to Falmer as soon as possible - when I can get a ticket! Would love to get my Dad along to Falmer too for old times sake!! Anyway, up the Albion and it's great to see what is currently happening at the Club.

Great thread.

I have to say that I find the JCL thing offensive, because you go on to say whether new or returning. I have supported this club since 1970 and I was a disillusioned fan that walked away. I have nothing but praise and love for those that kept the flag flying. I think JCL is totally offensive to people and should be dropped from this forum. But Notts I am being general and I have quoted you because you happen to be the latest person that said it, nothing against you.
I read this as you meaning the term JCL is only offensive for returning fans. If I had meant to be offensive to anybody I wouldn't have stated that I didn't begrudge anybody their season tickets. I used the term (which would apply to myself had I bought a ST) because it is current parlance on the Board. If anybody can think of a more acceptable term I'd be happy to use it.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
You do not get to choose a football team - it is allocated at birth. So when I moved away to Manchester over 40 years ago, and never to return to live in the south, there was no question of my loyalty changing. Yes, I used to watch Law/Best/Charlton, Bell/Lee/Summerbee and just down the road - Kendall/Ball/Harvey but it was just not the same and any Albiom game in the North or Midlands was priority. Obviously over the years job and family puts restrictions on long trips, but it always felt safe and secure returnng to the Goldtsone and being with kindred spirits. The early years at Withdean were difficult with regard to tickests, having o plan trips home (Istill call Brighton home) 8 weeks or so in advance. Getting tickets to the important games was always traumatic, but I succeeded with a little luck (and assistamce for Derek Allen, the club secretary, for the last Goldstone game versus Donny. I just have to take my chance for the home games that I can go to this season.
In keeping with an exile I have continued the missionary work and my 3 sons, born in Stockport and Rotherham, are passionaye (and travelling) Brighton fans, all with broad Northern accents. I am now working on the grandchildren. One step-grandson has been coverted already - the others, as I have said, were allocated at birth anyway.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Thats great that so many on here are offering up there tickets, a really nice touch :thumbsup:

I have actually been offered a chance to have a ticket for the Donny game from my son, who lives back down in Kingston now and has a season ticket. He says he owes it to me because i made him a Brighton fan in the first place.

I have however turned it down, if i was to go to this game i would want to go with him, not instead of him. Hes a star though, thanks Dan, Love ya.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
You do not get to choose a football team - it is allocated at birth. So when I moved away to Manchester over 40 years ago, and never to return to live in the south, there was no question of my loyalty changing. Yes, I used to watch Law/Best/Charlton, Bell/Lee/Summerbee and just down the road - Kendall/Ball/Harvey but it was just not the same and any Albiom game in the North or Midlands was priority. Obviously over the years job and family puts restrictions on long trips, but it always felt safe and secure returnng to the Goldtsone and being with kindred spirits.

I can definitely relate to this. I often go up and watch Exeter City play, and I've seen some good games there over the years .... but it's not the same. It's the Albion that is flowing through my veins, and that can NEVER be changed, wherever I am .... Brighton will always be my team. Ok, I can't get to as many games as I would like to, but on a Saturday afternoon, my heart and soul are always in Brighton,and when I CAN get to a game, I feel like I'm standing shoulder to shoulder with a big family. It's actually quite tough after the game to see everyone else heading back to Sussex while I'm headed in the opposite direction. And like you, I tried to convert my nephew by taking him to a few games, and for a while, he claimed to be a 'Brighton fan', but it didn't last ..... he's now a member of the Man Utd 'armchair army', tomorrow it'll be Chelsea or Arsenal or whoever else is topping the Premiershite - they just don't get it do they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here