Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] There's mice in the house

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I have the ******** under my floorboards - they haven't found a way in, yet anyway. Have two random pattern ultrasonic/electromagnetic "repellents" but they are of extremely limited effectiveness - they move to somewhere further away from one so I'm moving the damn things around the house frequently. They may even have got in to the plasterboard wall void, or I heard a transferred noise from them scratching on a pipe somewhere, but I moved one upstairs and the noises moved again. If you've got a very small house they might be enough.

When I can't figure out how they got in in the first place I'm going to have trouble blocking it. Such fun.

Although I've actually just had a thought; there's dead pipework from when the boiler was in a now demolished boilerhouse, that might not be fully blocked off; at least two possible 3/4" pipes and a plastic conduit for power. Which all goes under the floor.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
124530.jpg

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Two evicted this week via humane mouse traps and released on the golf course in Lewes. How TF are they getting in, been all around the outside of the house to check brickwork/holes etc but nothing. :shrug:

Often they get in through the roof. If you have a nice cold roof space that is easy for you to get up into, try an Alphachlorolose poison. It is very humane, the mouse gets a narcotic effect so is going out on a high, but is only effective in winter as it affects the mouses ability to regulate temperature and it dies of hypothermia. Also means you dont end up with a dead mouse in any warm parts of your house and stinking, but if they are living in warm areas all the time they will develop a tolerance to it.

It will kill birds too so don't leave it accessible to them.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I know the tree huggers on here won't like me saying this.
But we had an issue with them a few years back, coming in through our side shed and climbing into the dry wall, eventually ending up in the loft.
We tried the humane route, but didn't work.
Eventually used the poison, and ended up 20 mice less, starting from large to little ones, I didn't like it, but needs must.
Wires had been chomped.

They had rats in next door's garden. The council put poison out. The rats took it and in the way of all animals looked for a quiet place to die. They got under our floorboards and the house was virtually uninhabitable for a month.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We had mice when we built an extension with a suspended floor rather than trench foundations.

Then those holes were exploited by rats.

Then the rat holes were exploited by foxes.

Gradually we dealt with the fox issue, the rat problem waxes and wanes, but I don't think we've ever been entirely mouse-free. There are just too many possibilities for them it seems.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We had mice when we built an extension with a suspended floor rather than trench foundations.

You’ll regret this... You should have got reputable builders in not mice.

Mice never follow architects specifications on air-bricks and sub-floor ventilation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here