Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

there's been a bit of speculation about lewis dunk moving to a bigger club

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
How long is his current contract coz I suppose the length of that could determine the price. ie shorter the contract cheaper the price

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
He's under contract through to the end of next season (2013) so by the time the club sells him - the end of this season - he'll only have a year left to go, which in football economics brings the price down a fair bit in most deals. Think you'd be looking at £2-3m plus a few add ons.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Dunky is almost priceless...but if a good offer over £7m comes in then it must be considered as we have another good back 4 player coming through in Cook...

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
There's another three months until clubs can start buying again, so that means another 12 threads(one per week) about Premiership Clubs being linked with him.
I say...give me a new contract in December with a buy out clause of at least £5 millon written into it.
I'm still pi$$ed off Norwich were able to buy Bennett for £1.5 million, when Southampton were able to sell Oxlaide-Chamberlain for £12 million. We got seriously ripped off on that deal...considering Bennett played more and even performed better in the Division One than Oxo.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
To look at it objectively, everyone was panicking at the start of the season that El-Abd and Elphick were going to miss for first few months. No-one expected Dunk to step up like he has done and we're giving him a £5m+ value on the basis of what, 7 performances?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
People on here are deluded.

People want 10M. That is the same price as GERMAN INTERNATIONAL Per Mertesacker.

Thats INTERNATIONAL, CHAMPIONS LEAGUE defender per Mertesacker apparently being the same value as a rookie championship youngster who has faced such striking talents as Ross McCormack and Michael Chopra...

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005

People want 10M. That is the same price as GERMAN INTERNATIONAL Per Mertesacker.

Thats INTERNATIONAL, CHAMPIONS LEAGUE defender per Mertesacker apparently being the same value as a rookie championship youngster who has faced such striking talents as Ross McCormack and Michael Chopra...

Exactly. No club in this day and age is going to splash that kind of cash on someone making their first appearances in the Championship, especially when we don't have a reputation for producing top players

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

He's under contract through to the end of next season (2013) so by the time the club sells him - the end of this season - he'll only have a year left to go, which in football economics brings the price down a fair bit in most deals. Think you'd be looking at £2-3m plus a few add ons.

Exactly. No club in this day and age is going to splash that kind of cash on someone making their first appearances in the Championship, especially when we don't have a reputation for producing top players

Finally, some sensible replies. CBs do not go for the same sort of money as attacking players, there's no way we'd get anywhere near what AOC fetched for Saints. And that is partially to do with their good track record from their academy, which we have next to none.

I'd be extremely surprised with anything over £3M. And if Dunk wants to go, I imagine we'll be forced to accept the best offer - or risk losing him for free the year after.

If we were promoted to the Premiership and he still put in good performances then it may be a different story, and £6M-£7M might be more realistic. But from a championship club for a central defender, no way.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I'm still pi$$ed off Norwich were able to buy Bennett for £1.5 million, when Southampton were able to sell Oxlaide-Chamberlain for £12 million. We got seriously ripped off on that deal...considering Bennett played more and even performed better in the Division One than Oxo.

Still don't understand why he went for that pathetic price. What the hell were the club thinking?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
2.5 million and i would snap there hands off.
You cant compare a defender to a winger in price.

Mills was it went to Leics from Reading for 4 million, and that is a lot of money, overpriced.

Gus could do a lot with 2.5 million.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
Good young British players are at a premium, which pushes the prices up. However, in this situation there are other factors bringing it back down. He, at the moment, is a good Championship defender. That's it.

If the club don't go up this season - which sadly I don't think they will - he'll probably be off. It's all well and good people saying "oh we're not a selling club any more." Based on what? Certainly not the fact that the management decided to let Bennett go, that's for sure. Truth is, unless you're in the top 5 or 6 in the Premier League (and even they at times are forced to be) you are a selling club. Not meaning to offend anyone but that's the truth of the matter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here