Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] There's a rat in mi kitchen ...

BiffyBoy

Aug 20, 2012
get a humane trap , bait it with a piece of bread covered with peanut butter and/or nutella. If you poison them they will a) die in your house at a place you can't get to but will smell b) die outside and then poison some other creature as well or in your case your dog. I have successfully caught rats in the garden (10) and mice in the house (4 of them ) which came in when i opened up the the cavity on the outside. Clearly you need to know if it's a rat or mouse as the trap is very diferent in size.
What if the 10 rats happen to be the same rat you humanely let go coming back again and again?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
For potential future reference crunchy or smooth? :)
Smooth. Easier to apply
This, rats are too large and clever for cats. You don't want ourJR though, at 14 she's not quite as nimble as she once was.

mice are a doddle to deal with with traps and cats

Foxes like a juicy rat, but like most of us, come with their own baggage! Plus most of them in towns are stuffed full of chips and cat food because people feed them.
Since the wife has been feeding the local foxes, the rat sightings in the garden and catches(in the shed) have been zero....the crap on the path each morning is a small price to pay

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We have foxes under our garden cabin, which I've always felt was a small price to pay because the average fox kills three rats a day apparently, and rats are my 101 like Winston Smith. Oh and we also have a cat.

So imagine my horror two months ago when I caught our cat squaring off with a rat half way down the garden against the fence with next door! I've never seen a rat before or after this incident,anywhere near any of my houses!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Our Rat Man suspects that they're coming in through the sewers. He suggested getting a drains company to put in a one-way barrier so waste can get out but rats can't get in.
Definitely replace any old ceramic traps with one way barriers, and like another poster says make sure they’re fitted the correct way.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Our old place was next to woodland and rats decided to infest the garage. To bottles of white vinegar into a spray bottle and they left sharpish warning it does stink.
A couple of nights later my neighbour rang me and asked if I had seen rats as they had got into his shed 🤣

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
No, just a common shitter

field mice are tiny, too light to set a trap off. . . . Extremely unlikely to see one in a house anywhere near town . . .theyre rare enough in fields aren't they?!
Field mice are bigger than a house mouse and generally more brown than grey !!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Field mice are bigger than a house mouse and generally more brown than grey !!
I stand corrected . . . ( I was thinking of harvest mice . . . .I'm sure they were field mice when I was a kid . . .) Either way, they're good to cruise around in the garden, but if they come in the house, they're toast.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here