Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

There'd Better Be A Response From the Team at Ipswich

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Excuse my language, but (Noone, CMS and Bridcutt apart) they f***ing owe us one after that capitulation on Tuesday. I know it's obviously not that black and white, but if every one of those eleven who take the pitch at Portman Road aren't 100% committed to getting a result - and we're not going there for a poxy point - then they can do one frankly.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
It would be great to come out firing on Saturday - but I suspect there will be a hangover. The game we play requires confidence and bravery - and those have to be built up over time. Confidence can go in the course of a game as we saw on Tuesday - I am not sure it can come back so quickly.

In Gus we trust.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It would be great to come out firing on Saturday - but I suspect there will be a hangover. The game we play requires confidence and bravery - and those have to be built up over time. Confidence can go in the course of a game as we saw on Tuesday - I am not sure it can come back so quickly.

In Gus we trust.

That is what worries me. If we don't come back against ipswich, I could see us losing confidence in our playing style and abilities and we'll just slide down the table. I know that sounds pessimistic, but you see it every year, a team goes up and starts strong only to get one defeat and never recover sliding back down. If we don't get a good result we could well be that team.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We've had blips before. Gus will sort it.

No team is going to romp away with the league this year, and they will all have blips. I fully expect Gus to earn his corn and ensure we continue to try and play the game properly. We might not win at Ipswich but as long as we don't play the sort of turd we played for an hour on Tuesday, we'll be OK in the long run.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That is what worries me. If we don't come back against ipswich, I could see us losing confidence in our playing style and abilities and we'll just slide down the table. I know that sounds pessimistic, but you see it every year, a team goes up and starts strong only to get one defeat and never recover sliding back down. If we don't get a good result we could well be that team.

I cannot see us losing confidence in what we do. Gus comes across as a very good man-manager. Remember when we went a goal and a player down against Charlton last season, within about 10 mins I think. We kept our heads, and our passing game. We had the confidence and belief to carry on playing our game. That can only come from the manager in my opinion, either his management or the type of player he buys. We'll be fine. A draw at Ipswich and SMASH Hull and it's game on again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No team is going to romp away with the league this year

I think West Ham will be the strongest team. On paper, and on current form, no one else looks a candidate for running away with the title.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I cannot see us losing confidence in what we do. Gus comes across as a very good man-manager. Remember when we went a goal and a player down against Charlton last season, within about 10 mins I think. We kept our heads, and our passing game. We had the confidence and belief to carry on playing our game. That can only come from the manager in my opinion, either his management or the type of player he buys. We'll be fine. A draw at Ipswich and SMASH Hull and it's game on again.

But that wasn't on the back of such a bad performance in which we lost, which itself was on the back of a match in which one alf we were awful, and we let in a sloppy late goal to drop two points, which itself followed another league loss where we, by all accounts, deserved to lose. Bar 40 minutes in the second half of the leeds game and the first 20 mins of the palace game, we haven't performed for the last thre games. If we don['t achieve v ipswich that will be four games. The longer it goes on the harder it is to turn around.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I don't think the Gusatron is the sort who very easily allows confidence levels to dip. He'll grab each player and subtly remind them how enjoyable it is to play attractive and measured football, with the less enjoyable workaholic's eye on a tight defence intact. I think much of it is trust in each other and i see that reborn with speed, some of which by his selection for Ipswich away.
It won't always go perfectly, but a few poor shows doesn't make for a fail-filled season. And we're nowhere near that few yet even.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But that wasn't on the back of such a bad performance in which we lost, which itself was on the back of a match in which one alf we were awful, and we let in a sloppy late goal to drop two points
It was actually *very* similar circumstances. That Charlton game was towards the end of a shocking 5 or 6 game run, as I recall...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It was on the back of one loss in 5, whereas we're now on 3 losses in 5.

WLLDL before we play ipswich

DDDWL before the win v charlton

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Excuse my language, but (Noone, CMS and Bridcutt apart) they f***ing owe us one after that capitulation on Tuesday. I know it's obviously not that black and white, but if every one of those eleven who take the pitch at Portman Road aren't 100% committed to getting a result - and we're not going there for a poxy point - then they can do one frankly.

Gary dicker and Ryan Harley v lee bowyer and jimmy bullard?

I know who my money would be on.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It was on the back of one loss in 5, whereas we're now on 3 losses in 5.

WLLDL before we play ipswich

DDDWL before the win v charlton
Nope. The game HT is referring to is the DRAWN home game - where we went a goal and a man down very early, and battled back to draw. And here are the results prior to that game:

16. Round 13/11/2010 15:00 A Hartlepool United 1:3
17. Round 20/11/2010 15:00 H Bristol Rovers 2:2
18. Round 23/11/2010 19:45 A Southampton FC 0:0
20. Round 11/12/2010 15:00 A Huddersfield Town 1:2
23. Round 29/12/2010 19:45 H Charlton Athletic 1:1

Plus we limped past Woking and FCM in that time also.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
time to re evaluate. We were getting way ahead of ourselves. Mid table is still a fantastic achievement, a sniff of the play offs come May and dream land.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Gary dicker and Ryan Harley v lee bowyer and jimmy bullard?

I know who my money would be on.

This is what worries me. We're losing the battle in the midfield and this is where the passing football is breaking down. If Ipswich start closing down the passing, like Leeds in the first half and then Palace, I don't think we have the strength to restart it in the midfield against Bowyer and Bullard.

I really wouldn't mind a draw too much on Saturday - as long as it's a character building draw where we're not pushed over, and we're able to play our game for 90 minutes more or less (this is rather improbable, but what I mean is that if we start well, then Ipswich have a ten minute spell of domination, we're able to pull ourselves together and get the passing going again).

Oh, and NO long balls from Casper. Plan B doesn't work, and will never work for us.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I will be delighted if we get anything at Ipswich, a point would be like a win to me at the moment.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am sure the players concerned will be left in no doubt as to Gus's views on the shambles of Tuesday night. I am confident that he will not let them just saunter through a game again.

I dont expect wholesale changes just a little tweaking and perhaps one or possibly two changes but a totally different attitude from the remaining 9 or 10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here