Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

There was no soccerball before the premiership.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've always been interested in learning more about football before WWI. I'm sure that matches in those days were a lot more higher scoring than today and scoring five goals in a game was more common.

Download this weeks 'The Football Ramble' podcast, called sweet chin music.
They have a hall of fame feature which this week is about Englands 2nd black footballer, who was killed in action in WW1.
It came across as a very good story.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They have a hall of fame feature which this week is about Englands 2nd black footballer, who was killed in action in WW1.

Walter Tull

Not just one of the first black footballers but also one of the first black army officers.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That's the fella.
I was having a moment, knowing his name was Tull, but could only think of Jethro. :lol:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I know it's a statement of fact for us who support below the 'breadline', but nevertheless Defoe's 5 naturally had the BBC in a wank-tastic mood.

Sadly though according to the report I heard this morning, all the records Defoe and Spurs equalled or broke, yesterday, were only premiership stats.

There is no life beyond 20 clubs, of which on 3 are any good.

Once again I can't wait for the whole carnival, to disappear up its own bottom.

I had this conversation with a colleague today - who just so happens to be a (plastic) Spurs fan... He even tried to make out that football has changed loads since 1992 - even refereeing!
Yesterday it was all about how Lennon, Huddlestone, Crouch and Defoe had booked their places to the world cup FOR SURE and that Capello should build a team around Defoe...
Is there anyone worse than a Spud for getting over excited and totally blinkered in their views?! :shootself

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Good work, GR - you have also answered my question to GT. Denis must have been gutted!

If we're going to move onto FA Cup stats then how about Ted MacDougall's 9 for AFC Bournemouth at home to Margate in the 70s (11-1?). I remember the Margate 'keeper claiming it was only 8........or was that the Northampton 'keeper claiming it was only 5? These memories do deteriorate with age!

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003

Just did a quick Wiki search on Walter Tull. Sounds like he overcame a lot of the racial barriers that other black footballers would experience 70 years later. His military service in WWI looks impressive.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's a problem with a lot of young people these days, if they havent "experienced" it, it can't possibly exist.

Goldstone Rapper on here, appears to the only one of the younger generation genuinely interested in the football of the 1970s and 80s and good on him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
David James is the best ever 'keeper. Fact! Well, if you only count clean sheets since 1992.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here