Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

There was no soccerball before the premiership.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know it's a statement of fact for us who support below the 'breadline', but nevertheless Defoe's 5 naturally had the BBC in a wank-tastic mood.

Sadly though according to the report I heard this morning, all the records Defoe and Spurs equalled or broke, yesterday, were only premiership stats.

There is no life beyond 20 clubs, of which on 3 are any good.

Once again I can't wait for the whole carnival, to disappear up its own bottom.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Once again I can't wait for the whole carnival, to disappear up its own bottom.

If the Russian, Arabs and Americans get bored of the Premiership, or should that be when, and pull their money out...I think your wishes may be granted!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
So when was the last time a team scored ten goals in one English top flight football match? Must have been the 60s!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So when was the last time a team scored ten goals in one English top flight football match? Must have been the 60s!

If that's the case, it plainly didn't happen.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Madness innit. All that changed was the name (and the finances), so why does Sky brainwash everyone with stats in the Premiership only? It doesn't happen when cups change their sponsors, we didn't a whole load of "he's scored the most goals in Milk Cup history."

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Not sure if it's the most recent but I'll offer up ....

Fulham 10 Ipswich 1, 26th Dec 1963, Division 1 (that's the top flight, for all you Premiership kids out there).

Looks like Ipswich had tucked into too much Christmas brandy.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not sure if it's the most recent but I'll offer up ....

Fulham 10 Ipswich 1, 26th Dec 1963, Division 1 (that's the top flight, for all you Premiership kids out there).

Looks like Ipswich had tucked into too much Christmas brandy.

There used to be some interesting results at Christmas: the best has to be in 1935 when Tranmere beat Oldham 13-4, with one Bunny Bell scoring nine - and missing a penalty too.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
In that Fulham/Ipswich game, weren't Ipswich the reigning champions who were relegated the following season?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
In that Fulham/Ipswich game, weren't Ipswich the reigning champions who were relegated the following season?

Ipswich Town won the First Division championship in 1962, so they must have had a season in between the title and their relegation season.

I think Man City were relegated in the 1930s a season after winning the League championship, though I haven't checked this.

Midikilledmydog

Aug 20, 2006
Well as the Beeb and Sky clearly aren't going to tell us, who in the dark ages before the premiershit scored 5 goals in a first division match, an achievement equally as good as Defoe, Cole and Shearer, about whom they have been gobbing off about all day.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Ted Drake scored 7 goals for Arsenal against Aston Villa in a match in the 1930s.

Alan Brazil scored 5 goals for Ipswich v Southampton in 1981/82.

Can't think of any others at the moment.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yeh, let's face facts; the premiershit is the Fisrt Division, whatever the wankers in suits want to call it. And we are in the Third Division..................
Can't stand all this poxy re-branding - all of us true football fans (except the weenuies, who don't know any better - but perhaps even they can come round in time) should carry on calling the leagues the First Division, Second Division, etc., no matter how much the wankers in suits hate it.
Jermaine Defoe is the first person for a long time to score five goals in a match in the First Division. Fact. Well done him - now if the BBC and Sky Sports can stop their "all-time record in the premiershit" wank-fest, we'd all be grateful.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Didn't Malcolm MacDonald score 5 for England against Malta sometime in the 70s or 80s?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think Malcolm mcdonald's 5 was against Cyprus

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I've always been interested in learning more about football before WWI. I'm sure that matches in those days were a lot more higher scoring than today and scoring five goals in a game was more common.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here