Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
But City have plenty of goals in their midfield - we don't. Our midfield's scoring, assists and shooting accuracy stats are comparatively poor even when you look at it against Southampton, never mind City who can rely on Gundogan and De Bruyne to score or assist. And they move players everywhere, Could we really play Lallana as a false 9 like KDB has or Gross alternating between CM, CAM and LF like Foden? Even on Tuesday our goals came from Trossard playing as a LF and from our two big centre backs.,

Drop down just a couple of places and you find Chelsea who have the option of Werner's pace or Giroud's height and finishing or Abraham's somewhere in between. A bit further down and Spurs have Kane who isn't small.

You need options.

How tall are City's midfielders, and what does that play in there ability to score. Height is way down on the list of criteria we should be looking at. if we find a good finisher who happens to be tall then yay, but it's the ability to finish instinctively, shoot accurately, create space and carve out opportunities that should be considered way before height.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Height is not the criteria by which you judge a striker anymore, it's technique and finishing. The age of the big man up front has gone now that the game is played mostly on the ground. Just look at City who despite being massive cry babies have managed to forge their greatest success with short quick and technically astute forward players. This season they have even dispensed with having a recognised striker at all.

Can the guy finish without having to take half an hour to get the ball under control is the criteria that I am interested in.

I noticed in our game against Man City that on several occasions Alexis Mac Allister was positioned as our centre-forward.
He's certainly not shy in shooting and tends to get his shots on target but blocked. His shooting radar is certainly calibrated better than Bissouma's.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
How tall are City's midfielders, and what does that play in there ability to score. Height is way down on the list of criteria we should be looking at. if we find a good finisher who happens to be tall then yay, but it's the ability to finish instinctively, shoot accurately, create space and carve out opportunities that should be considered way before height.

They don't have to be Kevn Francis style basketball freaks but a bit more height combined with pace and finishing would be nice. Calvert-Lewin is 16cms taller than Maupay but at 187cms (6ft 1) he's not massive. But contrast their goals from crosses.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Not another striker from the EFL?

Maupay mark 2

No thanks

Why group different players together just because they played or play in same league?! Would you do the same with Harry Kane and Billy Sharp? :lol:

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
If I didn’t know his history, the player who has looked useful just recently has been Benteke !

Obviously wasted a career to some degree but funny how a player coming to the end of a contract can suddenly start looking decent

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The transfer window opens on June 9th so I'm just expecting the formal announcements about Welbeck, Walton and Izquierdo before then.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What do you predict? New contracts for all?
Well I believe Potter about Welbeck ( new contract ), believe Naylor about Walton ( option taken up, but likely going ) and can only guess about Izquierdo - the guess being that he waves goodbye.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Well I believe Potter about Welbeck ( new contract ), believe Naylor about Walton ( option taken up, but likely going ) and can only guess about Izquierdo - the guess being that he waves goodbye.

I don’t think we’ll be keeping any ‘squad’ players (like Izzy & Andone) who don’t make the bench Sunday including Pröpper (although he is out injured).

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I don’t think we’ll be keeping any ‘squad’ players (like Izzy & Andone) who don’t make the bench Sunday including Pröpper (although he is out injured).
We don't really have a choice with Andone until he can get out onto the pitch.

And my guess is that Pröpper has a transfer-protecting injury and he'll be gone early in the window.

Potential early departures in the window :

Ryan
Bernardo
Pröpper
Bissouma ( hope not )

Stumpy Tim

We don't really have a choice with Andone until he can get out onto the pitch.

And my guess is that Pröpper has a transfer-protecting injury and he'll be gone early in the window.

Potential early departures in the window :

Ryan
Bernardo
Pröpper
Bissouma ( hope not )

I suspect Bissouma will be later in the window. If he goes Bloom will be looking for a bidding war, and that takes time

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I suspect Bissouma will be later in the window. If he goes Bloom will be looking for a bidding war, and that takes time

Agreed, the only way he goes early is if someone has put in a mega-bid to avoid that which would have been too huge to realistically turn down (£70m+)

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think we do alright for height from set pieces at the moment. But like posted above, the days of needing Andy Carroll, Heskey or Crouchy as your striker are long gone. Doesn't suit our 100 touches in the oppo half style of play.

It's still a gamble with a Championship striker, better to spend £25m on one or £35m on a top Euro club striker and a gamble on that.

Glad it's not my money.

Benzema, Ronaldo, Lewindowski, Kane would suggest otherwise.

It’s not about set pieces, it’s about delivery, and options when the ball is out wide. Currently, our stock move is to get to the by-line and cut it back to the penalty spot, as the targets are so limited.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here