Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There is ZERO chance of SIGNING anyone today.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Isn't it the case that the contracts for released players run until the end of July. This iwhy CMS didn't join Luton until 1 August last year even though we'd announced that he'd been released long before. If this is the case maybe deals have already been done and we just have to wait patiently until 1 August? Do we honestly think that people as sussed as CH, Calderwood, Barber and Bloom are going to go into a new season with the holes even we can identify? Under Sami and Burke maybe, but not now. confidence!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Isn't it the case that the contracts for released players run until the end of July. This iwhy CMS didn't join Luton until 1 August last year even though we'd announced that he'd been released long before. If this is the case maybe deals have already been done and we just have to wait patiently until 1 August? Do we honestly think that people as sussed as CH, Calderwood, Barber and Bloom are going to go into a new season with the holes even we can identify? Under Sami and Burke maybe, but not now. confidence!

Most player contracts run until end of June, not July... other than that, I agree...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Most player contracts run until end of June, not July... other than that, I agree...

Yes, but:

You are spot on but I believe if they are still unattached after their contract expires.they get a bonus month

Essentially if a player is released from a club and hasn't signed for a new one by 31st July they receive a bonus month from their old club at their old rate. This is why players who are beginning the move down the leagues will not sign until 1st August, at the earliest, in order to bank one last bumper month.

(That said, I was told that Sidwell wouldn't sign for us until 1st August due to the above, but seems to have done so.)

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Essentially if a player is released from a club and hasn't signed for a new one by 31st July they receive a bonus month from their old club at their old rate. This is why players who are beginning the move down the leagues will not sign until 1st August, at the earliest, in order to bank one last bumper month.

(That said, I was told that Sidwell wouldn't sign for us until 1st August due to the above, but seems to have done so.)

I wondered at that but guessed maybe made up the difference to get him in early and training with the squad. Would be good sense if the gap wasn't too wide.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth

yes but if they dont sign for a new club their old club has to give then 1 month more wages.. we did with CMS and QPR did with Bobby

beaten to it by Bozza thats what you get for not reading the whole thread

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, but:

We might have given him a golden handshake to get him on board earlier as Stephens is out for Derby and maybe for good after that game, potentially leaving us light in midfield as well as in defence.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Yes, but:

Hint O'Clock.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can people stop using this FRED for IDOL chittachat it's for those INTHENO to give THERE info. I see BRADDERS has been chancing his ARM all Summer on here whereas I've been QUITE. Now I can REVEL that a KNEW singing will be happening next WEEK #sheeboitk #96%hitrate #braddersknowsnothing

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
So with a week to go til Derby we have the possibility of Ince starting in midfield, Bruno in central defence, no new pacey striker and a bench that looks very very weak compared to last season.

I would suggest that all is not going to plan on the recruitment front. We are seriously lacking depth in the squad and are plagued with injuries. My bed is wet.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
So with a week to go til Derby we have the possibility of Ince starting in midfield, Bruno in central defence, no new pacey striker and a bench that looks very very weak compared to last season.

I would suggest that all is not going to plan on the recruitment front. We are seriously lacking depth in the squad and are plagued with injuries. My bed is wet.

Very pessimistic. Sidwell may well be fit and, if Ince does start, it will only be for one game. It is a logical precaution. Bruno is not ideal but the striker can wait. The options we have will do for now.

As for the bench, we'll have Maenppa, Skalak, Murphy or Skalak and one of the three strikers there. Hardly the worst bench ever. Last year, we started with Calde, O'Grady, JFC and Ince all on the subs bench and we still started the season okay.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Same here. Its not bed wetting just genuine concern.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Very pessimistic. Sidwell may well be fit and, if Ince does start, it will only be for one game. It is a logical precaution. Bruno is not ideal but the striker can wait. The options we have will do for now.

As for the bench, we'll have Maenppa, Skalak, Murphy or Skalak and one of the three strikers there. Hardly the worst bench ever. Last year, we started with Calde, O'Grady, JFC and Ince all on the subs bench and we still started the season okay.

Bruno was excellent in central defence today.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Don't worry though, we'll easily finish top 2 this season.

After all it's not as if the team wasn't good enough then and is clearly weaker now.
In a division that has got considerably strong.
I wouldn't let the fact that we didn't beat a top 6 side last season bother you either,.
We scored lots of goals against Mr M Mouse teams and now have 1 in 10 Glenn, so all is well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here