Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

There has to be a Plan B

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
DK has stated there is no Plan B if Falmer is rejected:nono:

Then why spend all this money on relocating the Hospitality and Changing rooms and new seats if we are potless??

This must be all part of DKs cunning plan as Plan B has to be Withdean:glare:

Wa-ha-heyyy!!! It's the Brains of Britain Award!!

You're spot on. The board are going to issue a full press release tomorrow detailing Plan B, and Plans C, D and E while they're about it. That way we can give the NIMBY's plenty of alternatives to suggest to Prescott before he makes the decision, and we can let him know that the club will be fine whatever he says.

After all it would be great to stay at The Withdean Theatre Of Dreams for the rest of eternity.

xx

2,000 extra seats for three years @ £21 per seat per game = £3,150,000.

Cost of Withdean improvements = substantially less than that.

Result = more money to spend on the Club AND the opportunity to attract new supporters to the Club (which we haven't had until now).

A sensible investment, even in the short-term.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Most realise that mr knight isn't big enough to run a big club and falmer has to be plan b and will suit him.
Know the residents won't stand for that for many years and nor will many supporters thats for sure.

The club will die slowly at the withdean and the prices will never drop.:nono:

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Lord Bracknell said:
2,000 extra seats for three years @ £21 per seat per game = £3,150,000.

Cost of Withdean improvements = substantially less than that.

Result = more money to spend on the Club AND the opportunity to attract new supporters to the Club (which we haven't had until now).

A sensible investment, even in the short-term.
Attract new supporters,well we better stay at the withdean as 23k is far to big.???
The club need a miracle to attract support there as the prices are huge and the club can't go anywhere in that stadium,so in my book its a dead end full stop and no ambition will be required.:smokin:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Lord

Good number crunching but we need to keep the football side of things up to scratch or the 9000 tickets will be under subsribed by about 50%.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
How can we tell?

We know one thing though, there is no Plan B in the boundaries of Brighton & Hove.

Why not? because it is not in the Local Plan !

Even if the Albion envisaged the nigh impossible tak of converting Withdean, any large scale improvements would result in another Public Inquiry (probably). And they would not get the support of at least one supporter!

If Albion wanted a contingency plan in the boundaries they would have made a representation at the Local Plan Inquiry.

So for Brighton & Hove Albion it is Falmer or Bust, or else if they build outside the boundaries it would probably be something else, Brighton and South Downs Albion (four 'o" s) or Brighton & South Coast Albion.

It is still possible to get permission to build a permanent stadium within the boundaries of Brighton & Hove without it being in the Local Plan (e.g. Waterhall), but it would mean another Public Inquiry.

So when Dick Knight says there is no alternative within Brighton & Hove that is what he means.

I do not think there is any point in labouring alternative sites with the Public Inquiry result imminent. (Actually, I can think of a reason, but I don't fancy following that thread.)

Gawd knows what the ramifications of the refusal would be.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Don't worry too much about the demand for the new season.

It will probably be a stormer!

Why? cause

Albion will have a clear out. New faces.

Sheffield Wednesday will have a clear out and will make a bid for the play-offs at least.
Hull City will fancy their chances.
Milton Keynes will making making noises and Luton will feel obliged to respond.
Hull City are coming up.
Derby County could get relegated.
We might even get to the play-off final.
Falmer could be given the go ahead.

It is a pity we cannot have a decent stadium for next season. I hope we have a decent team. It is McGhee's make or break season.

We have even got more money with the re-negotiated non-Ecovert deal. (I am not sure why this happened, but their Withdean contract with the Council could not have been renewed?)

Without Falmer, the Club is "potless".

How perseus persists in his belief that a NO from Prescott will simply lead into a search for an alternative site is beyond me. It won't happen. Because we won't have the millions needed for the design work, the planning work and the inevitable Public Inquiry.

If we get a YES from Prescott, then the Club will easily raise the money to build Falmer - because Dick Knight and Martin Perry have the business sense to have costed the project to make it attractive to the finance houses who fund long-term secure investments. Those are the real skills needed to run a "big club".

Once we've got Falmer, the footballing side will grow - on the back of the income generated.

Many so-called "big clubs" are run by fly-by-night wealthy wide-boys who might chuck a few million into the playing budget, but end up presiding over mounting debts that lead inevitably into administration.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I said I did not want to pursue this thread, not until after the result is known.

I would say that if the worst happens that "expanding Withdean" would not be a satisfactory alternative. Not for me it wouldn't! I am happy to leave it at that until the Public Inquiry result is known.

:smokin:

perseus said:
I said I did not want to pursue this thread, not until after the result is known.
This threadbare idea of yours is popping up all over the place.

And not just on NSC. Why - last Friday evening - did you start a new thread on the Argus Forums page posing the question "Where should the new Albion Stadium be situated"?

And now you say here that you don't want to pursue this "until after the result is known".

Hypocrisy of the highest order.

:salute:

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
the 2000 extra seats and the cost to install them will be no good to anyone if we can't sell out the 7000 we already have though.

Ho hum

GET YOUR FINGER OUT PRESCOTT

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
That post Lord Bracknell was just to get the feeling of what people are saying. (Actually I posted it and then told the NSC so you could put whatever you felt right on the Argus forum. It is a simple question: where do you want the stadium to go? I did not put up any hints except a little bit about needing a railway station.)

http://forums.thisisbrightonandhove.co.uk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1074

So it is actually up to you to answer the question or put up a new thread.

All you have to do is to join the forum (probably tedious) and just put one word Falmer (Somebody could put up a picture!). It is about as easy as it gets. Then you can drown out every other stupid comment. I actually tried to make it as simple as possible.

One respondent got it BANG ON, when he said.

The actual words were:

"I always wonder whether people who suggest alternative sites to Falmer have considered that those putting in the application will have considered all the viable options and gone for the one that is most likely to get planning permission. This process will have involved the planning authority, who will have told the club which site or sites are worth considering and which are non-starters. In this case, Falmer was the only realistic option.

Lets hope John Prescott accepts this and grants approval."

Well he has got it BANG ON if Prescott says YES!

This is supposed to be an organised Campaign, perseus. In any Campaign, it never helps if individuals decide for themselves what they are going to do without there being any discussion about the wisdom of a particular idea.

Just about every idea that has worked well over the past couple of weeks has been fully debated - either on North Stand Chat or in the Falmer For All Team - before a decision has been taken to go with it.

You are welcome to join the Campaign, perseus. But learn to be a team player. This particular contribution has simply resulted in an Argus Forum - yes an ARGUS Forum! - where most responses are against Falmer.

That doesn't help. You are responsible for this. Bleating that "it might be best if some supporters did swamp the forum" isn't good enough. We are too busy doing more productive stuff.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Aha, are you the official organiser, or the Albion Chief Whip?

:lolol:

Anyrate I claim to toe the party line on the forum.

PS: best not break the copyright rules on this forum as someone from the Argus does look at the forum, probably to cut out rude bits and watch out for copyright infringements. I was going to but the Sunday Times article on it, but then I thought better of it.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here