Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "There are a few who expect us to win because we are Brighton"

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I just expected us to be able to respond in some way to WBA taking complete control in the second half. Potters changes did nothing to influence the pattern of the game!

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
"Sorry", GP is not going to turn into Mourinho. You wont see him abusing the team doctor, you wont see him blame the board, the refs and the players for all his shortcomings while at the same time sending the message that he himself is flawless and Gods gift to mankind. Its not happening.
He blamed supporters last season so will need a new scapegoat this time

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He blamed supporters last season so will need a new scapegoat this time

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I guess this quote below is what you mean by "blaming the supporters". Can definitely see how that made you a bit butthurt as you seem like the type of guy who go to football hoping the team will lose so you can moan and groan and feel a bit better about yourself. Not uncommon., there's a few in here.

“My message to the fans is to enjoy the game and get behind the team in the right way in order to help us get the three points,” he said.

“It’s a big game for our fans. I understand that football is an emotional experience and that people can get disappointed or frustrated, but our fans are fair-minded and know we need them.

“They’ve been brilliant with us so far this season and we want to give them something to cheer this Saturday.”

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
"There are a few who expect us to win because we are Brighton"

Having now watched the whole press conference he was very defensive and spiky the whole way through. I’ve never seen Potter anything like that before.

He either seriously got out of bed the wrong side yesterday or is clearly very agitated by where we find ourselves and the situation he’s in. It’s not a good look as he’s not taking any responsibility himself.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

The ‘bedwetting’ on here is almost nothing compared to what goes on facebook and twitter after any game we don’t win - if you read any of that you can see what Potter is getting at. Some of it is beyond entitled. Of course, the same people that flame the club/team/Potter/Bloom/Barber and the tea lady for us not walloping Chelsea are now flaming Potter for mentioning their wailing in his ‘appalling’ interview.

Potter never looks like he’s enjoying the asinine BS questions in any press conference.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I just expected us to be able to respond in some way to WBA taking complete control in the second half. Potters changes did nothing to influence the pattern of the game!

Subbed Lallana early and March fairly early, so saying that he did nothing is just inaccurate. I dont agree with the subs he made though, but he made them.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
"Sorry", GP is not going to turn into Mourinho. You wont see him abusing the team doctor, you wont see him blame the board, the refs and the players for all his shortcomings while at the same time sending the message that he himself is flawless and Gods gift to mankind. Its not happening.
The last group he should be blaming is the fans. Why can't the guy ever take accountability, his ego must be through the roof. Even mourinho admits he makes mistakes sometimes.

Honest question swansman does he ever admit to fvcking up ?

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

How about " Blame me, I'm the one who picked the team and I got the tactics and subs wrong, we take it away and learn from it" Any chance of the first bit happening? :lolol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The last group he should be blaming is the fans. Why can't the guy ever take accountability, his ego must be through the roof. Even mourinho admits he makes mistakes sometimes.

Honest question swansman does he ever admit to fvcking up ?

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

At least once that I can recall, Wigan - Swansea.

"My reaction is one of disappointment in myself. I take full responsibility for the first half. We weren't able to be ourselves and it was an uncomfortable 45 minutes.

Clearly we had an idea, but it didn't work or I wasn't able to explain the idea well enough and in fairness Wigan did what they did well. I apologise to the players and the supporters for the first half and then second half I thought the response of the players was fantastic. The support throughout the game was incredible because first half we weren't good, but they stuck with us. Second half they were behind us in an amazing way."

So he is at least 1-0 up against you. However, he wont bash every player and every component of the team week out week in year out year in like you do, but - and I think this will be difficult for you to understand - his attitude and way of expressing himself is far superior to creating a good team environment compared to the "we're shit and we're doomed" thing you do in every single thread here.

How about " Blame me, I'm the one who picked the team and I got the tactics and subs wrong, we take it away and learn from it" Any chance of the first bit happening? :lolol:

Yes, as seen in the quote above, but if the same players who had a pretty good first half does a shit second half it makes little sense that he should take the blame when its really the players who needs to learn to take responsibility. The "oh its all my fault, the players were perfect" would perhaps make some fans delighted but it would be stupid in multiple ways. Plus in this case it really wasnt true, there was no weird formation and no unproven players etc. Subs could have been better but ultimately it doesnt matter who your coach is if the players have a shit day.

Last edited:

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
At the start of the season, I look at the other teams in the division and wonder how we will get 40 points.

Home wins against teams in the bottom 8 are the obvious ones.

Away wins against the teams you think will be relegated, and a couple of surprise results against better teams.

When you drop 2 points at home against a team who are nailed on for relegation, you start to panic!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

The ‘bedwetting’ on here is almost nothing compared to what goes on facebook and twitter after any game we don’t win - if you read any of that you can see what Potter is getting at. Some of it is beyond entitled. Of course, the same people that flame the club/team/Potter/Bloom/Barber and the tea lady for us not walloping Chelsea are now flaming Potter for mentioning their wailing in his ‘appalling’ interview.

Potter never looks like he’s enjoying the asinine BS questions in any press conference.

Have a look at Twitter for almost any premier league club that has just been beaten and it’s exactly the same. He really needs to toughen up if a few comments on social media are winding him up to that extent. I suspect what’s really happening is you are witnessing a man who’s realised he’s out of his depth and his ideas aren’t working.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Having now watched the whole press conference he was very defensive and spiky the whole way through. I’ve never seen Potter anything like that before.

He either seriously got out of bed the wrong side yesterday or is clearly very agitated by where we find ourselves and the situation he’s in. It’s not a good look as he’s not taking any responsibility himself.

I agree with this, except the very last clause - I didn't see any comment either way about whether he feels any personal responsibility.

He was indeed defensive and very spiky. Not a good look, and counter-productive too. I'm not referring to his relationship with the club hierarchy, the players, or the fans - but with the press. He's shown them that he can get spiky - they'll like that as it gives them something to write about; they'll now increasingly try to get a similar (or even more spiky) response in future encounters.

Come on, GP, calm down.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I can’t see how criticising the clubs fans helps in any way. This is a mistake from our manager.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
When you drop 2 points at home against a team who are nailed on for relegation, you start to panic!

If panicking would help I'd be the first to start, but personally don't see any benefit in doing so.

No one is claiming that we played well in the last half hour on Monday. GP did try to change things round, but it didn't work, MacAllister, Alzate and Gross were brought on to get more of a grip in midfield and failed to do so, it doesn't make them bad players or the manager a bad tactician.

For some reason Bissouma had a stinker, March and Trossard were intermittent, Burn was absent for the equaliser after being caught upfield and Maupay's shooting boots aren't working as good as they could at present.

To apportion all of this due to Potter though seems harsh.

As for his (very mild) comments about some of our fans, aren't we being a bit precious? Some of the comments on social media about Potter and the team on Monday were completely OTT.

West Brom is one of the matches that ideally we would be aiming to win, and for an hour we were the better side, but football is unpredictable, although a lot of that will change once the big clubs get their way and hive off even more of the money for themselves.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Have a look at Twitter for almost any premier league club that has just been beaten and it’s exactly the same. He really needs to toughen up if a few comments on social media are winding him up to that extent. I suspect what’s really happening is you are witnessing a man who’s realised he’s out of his depth and his ideas aren’t working.

Bit early to make that kind of conclusion IMO - more likely he's been taken a bit aback by the level of nobbishness displayed by some of the loudest voices on social media and needs to learn to live with it a bit better (or just ignore it) rather than using his press conference to have a bit of a pop at a handful of idiots. There's very little objectivity or balance on SM - we're either brilliant or shockingly bad, players are either amazing or not fit to wear the shirt etc. He's lucky Monday was behind closed doors. The volume of tutting from the stands in the second half would have been deafening.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Bit early to make that kind of conclusion IMO - more likely he's been taken a bit aback by the level of nobbishness displayed by some of the loudest voices on social media and needs to learn to live with it a bit better (or just ignore it) rather than using his press conference to have a bit of a pop at a handful of idiots. There's very little objectivity or balance on SM - we're either brilliant or shockingly bad, players are either amazing or not fit to wear the shirt etc. He's lucky Monday was behind closed doors. The volume of tutting from the stands in the second half would have been deafening.

To be fair to the tutters, most would have left before the equaliser.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'm extremely concerned by this, not because I disagree particularly with what he's said but I'm not comfortable with a manager who lets his feelings boil over in public this way and attack fans of the club. I doubt we'd have ever seen Chris Hughton respond this way.

If he's frustrated, how does he think we feel? We keep being fed poor results in matches we should do better in (such as Monday night), and what do we get? An apology? A mea culpa? No. We get the same old spiel about "learning lessons" (lessons which seemingly we never actually bother learning given we make the same mistakes over and over again) while at the same time the club starts to feel ever more distant from us in it's actions and attitudes (the striker saga, the PPV vote, the various fan "initiatives" such as banning bottle tops in the last few years).

If Potter doesn't like that we have opinions he can do one. No manager is irreplaceable. Except maybe Sir Alex Ferguson.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here