Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Theoretical question re hmrc

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Contact them if you spend it and they come after you (could be years away) legally you have liability and they will recover funds with interest.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At 77 years old my heart tells me that I would have a good holiday and let them worry about how they get their money back should it occur. Not the correct answer I know but !!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
At 77 years old my heart tells me that I would have a good holiday and let them worry about how they get their money back should it occur. Not the correct answer I know but !!
Sorry BG but that response would incur 100% in Penalties plus interest. So you would pay back more than double.

They would even charge your Estate if you passed away in the interim. So sadly in this occasion hiding behind your age wouldn't be of assistance

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry BG but that response would incur 100% in Penalties plus interest. So you would pay back more than double.

They would even charge your Estate if you passed away in the interim. So sadly in this occasion hiding behind your age wouldn't be of assistance

Oh dear must think again.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I know someone that that got £22k paid into their account by a pay day lender ( and they hadn't applied for it ). That pay day lender then went bust before asking for it back. Oh dear .... what a shame ! And no it wasn't me before anyone says that !

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I'm going to contact them on Monday to check it's all valid.

Ludicrous really, some poor sod is probably waiting for their refund. 99.999999999% sure it isn't mine.

But if I transferred payment incorrectly to someone's account then I understand there's nothing I could do about it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Let me know the UTR, I'll look into it.

CESA [Computerised Environment for Self Assessment] will have notified [via batch] the Payments Made Framework system to issue the payment - assuming it's a self-assessment issue.

As others have said, knowing it's not your money to spend coupled with "ignorance in no excuse for the law" = defo DON'T spend [or lose] it!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I know someone that that got £22k paid into their account by a pay day lender ( and they hadn't applied for it ). That pay day lender then went bust before asking for it back. Oh dear .... what a shame ! And no it wasn't me before anyone says that !

If it was incorrect then it will probably eventually be found. I spent £600 on tv and vcr back in 1990 on my BCCI credit card. Took and age for the Comet to process the payment (late on a friday) and by Monday BCCI were in liquidation. 2 years later the liquidators got in touch and I had to make repayments. The benefit was that I had an interest free loan for two years which was handy as I had just moved into my first house.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If it was incorrect then it will probably eventually be found. I spent £600 on tv and vcr back in 1990 on my BCCI credit card. Took and age for the Comet to process the payment (late on a friday) and by Monday BCCI were in liquidation. 2 years later the liquidators got in touch and I had to make repayments. The benefit was that I had an interest free loan for two years which was handy as I had just moved into my first house.

This.

I found that liquidators eventually and doggedly pursue every book debt, they do not give up and the law backs them 100%. This has always been the way.

At £250 to £400 an hour, they have all the incentive in the world to be thorough and they’re under no hurry to complete the liquidation.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
There is only one correct answer legally.

If the amount exceeds £150. You need to write to them notifying them within 28 days that you feel that the amount paid into your account is incorrect. Pay the payment back to them whilst they lead an Investigation into the matter.

Booooo

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It depends how honest you are.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Let me know the UTR, I'll look into it.

CESA [Computerised Environment for Self Assessment] will have notified [via batch] the Payments Made Framework system to issue the payment - assuming it's a self-assessment issue.

As others have said, knowing it's not your money to spend coupled with "ignorance in no excuse for the law" = defo DON'T spend [or lose] it!
Wait, so sticking it on a benteke hat trick yesterday after his first went in wasn't a good idea?

Bugger

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here