Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Then instead of than?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I have seen this online at least 10 times today (including NSC). What the f*** is that all about? The latest Argus tweet:

brightonargus Brighton Argus Suspected Hove bike thief arrested after more then £50,000 seized

Surely I am not the only one bothered by this?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I like to keep my grammar as neat and tidy as possible, but those that are little more grammatically challenged really don't annoy me... diversity is the spice of life.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I like to keep my grammar as neat and tidy as possible, but those that are little more grammatically challenged really don't annoy me... diversity is the spice of life.

Do you not think The Argus should get it right though?

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I keep seeing these grammar threads, is really important on a message board? I would have thought that as long as you are understood, then no problem. It doesn't bother me, but some people try correcting people all the time. That's the annoying thing to me.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
On twitter? Nah isn't important really is it?

Well in some cases YES, using then instead of than completley changes the meaning:

I'd rather go to The Amex than Selhurst

Id' rather go to The Amex then Selhurst

The second statement states that you want to go to Selhurst after you have been to The Amex. The first statement is quite different and makes a very different point.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I don't think I have ever seen or heard that before. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I will probably spot it all over the place now.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Well in some cases YES, using then instead of than completley changes the meaning:

I'd rather go to The Amex than Selhurst

Id' rather go to The Amex then Selhurst

The second statement states that you want to go to Selhurst after you have been to The Amex. The first statement is quite different and makes a very different point.

Don't disagree Wilko, however you still get the jist of the sentence don't you? That's more important than the context it is written in shirley? I try to keep my grammar neat and tidy because I do it for myself, no-one else and f*** up sometimes, in fact probably quite often, but I get my message across, however banal it may be.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Don't disagree Wilko, however you still get the jist of the sentence don't you? That's more important than the context it is written in shirley? I try to keep my grammar neat and tidy because I do it for myself, no-one else and f*** up sometimes, in fact probably quite often, but I get my message across, however banal it may be.

Yeah fair point, I am sure it annoys me far more than it should do.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I write this with a degree of trepidation, but can someone confirm when than is the appropriate word to use as opposed to then?

Than is used only in comparisons, so if you're comparing something use than. If not, then you have to use then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here