Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Young Ones

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
afters said:
am i on my own when i say that it's terribly dated?
:thud:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
my favorite sketch was when Niel and Viv were arguing over whose bed it was. Neither would back down, eventually Viv set the bed alight and says: "Niel, YOUR bed's on fire" - classic ....

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
:lolol::lolol: Again, from Wikipedia:
"A contestant on a real-life edition of University Challenge, who did not know the answer to a question that had been asked, answered "Toxteth O'Grady, USA", as it had been the answer to two questions used in The Young Ones' version. "

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Man of Harveys said:
:lolol::lolol: Again, from Wikipedia:
"A contestant on a real-life edition of University Challenge, who did not know the answer to a question that had been asked, answered "Toxteth O'Grady, USA", as it had been the answer to two questions used in The Young Ones' version. "
I've got a Porsche.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Amazing, human beings the size of an amoeba.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
In Oil when Viv whacks Rik between the legs with the cricket bat

"Ahaa missed both my legs"

"Viva El Presidente"

Stinkers Bridge

Jul 28, 2004
Buxted Harbour
'It's quite interesting, y'know, the number of biscuits that are named after revolutionaries...You've got your Garibaldi, of course, you've got your Bourbons, then of course you've got your Peak Freens' Trotsky Assortment.

Revolutionary biscuits of Italy
Rise up out of your box!
You have nothing to lose but your wafers
Yum yum yum yum yum!'

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"I had a friend, killed himself for the insurance money!"
"How much did he get?"
"Nothing, it was only Third Party."

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Two policeman standing guard;

Cop 1; How are things at home then?
Cop 2; Not good. She's still not speaking to me.
Cop 1; Why not?
Cop 2; Because of something I said about the Pope.
Cop 1; That was a bit stupid. You know she's Catholic.
Cop 2; Yeah, but I didn't know the bloody Pope was, did I?

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
afters said:
am i on my own when i say that it's terribly dated?

No

I have fond memories of watching it when it was first shown and rolling around the floor with laughter.

Watched a few on UK Gold a couple of years ago and wondered how they got away with it.

phil1977

"And now on Whistle Test"
Nov 19, 2004
Bristol
I bought both DVDs (series 1 and 2) a few months ago and I love it (was a bit too young to appreciate it first time round.)

Many of the outdoor shots were filmed on Gloucester Road, Bristol, where I was a student. In fact the Kebab and Calculator (really called Cock O' The North) is one of my locals and has a plaque outside it commemerating the fact that it was used in the series!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Muhammad - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
The Boss said:
Neil: Guys, guys, guys, I think I've solved our money problem. I'm writing to my bank manager. See what you think... "Dear Bank Manager."
Mike: Yeah?
Neil: Well, that's it. I'm quite pleased with it so far, though.
Mike: Oh, well, it's a strong opening, certainly.
Vyvyan: I don't like the "dear." Sounds a bit too much like, "Will you go to bed with me?"
Mike: Well spoken, Vyvyan. What do you think instead?
Vyvyan: Uh, what about..."darling?
[everyone concurs]
Neil: [writing] "Darling Bank Manager..."
Rick: No, no, no, no, no, not "Bank Manager," it's far too crawly bum-lick. Tell it like it is, put "Fascist Bullyboy!"
Neil: "Darling Fascist Bullyboy..."
Mike: That's nice, yes, so far so good. So what do you want to say?
Neil: Well, basically, I want to ask him if I can have, like, an extension on my overdraft, but I know there must be a better way of putting it than that.
Mike: Well, what about, "Give me some more money"?
Vyvyan: ..."You bastard!"
Neil: Don't you think that's a bit strong?
Mike: Ah, Neil, people like that respect strength.
Neil: Yeah, you're right. Uh, "Darling Fascist Bullyboy, Give me some more money, you bastard..." Uh... "Love, Neil."
Vyvyan: Not "Love, Neil"! That sounds far too much like, "Come and get it like a bitch-funky sex machine!"
Neil: Yeah, you're right...Uh, what about, "Yours sincerely"?
Rick: Oh, come off it, Neil. If you're going to be that sycophantic, why don't you go 'round there now and stick your tongue straight down the back of his trousers?
Neil: Oh, look, I know, I know, why not "Boom Shanka"? It means, "May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman."
Mike: He'll never understand "Boom Shanka," you'll have to write the whole thing out.
Neil: Right, okay, here we go. "Darling Fascist Bullyboy, Give me some more money, you bastard. May the seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman, Neil."
Rick: Well, if that doesn't work, I don't know what will.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8vkkoKj-a0&NR

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
phil1977 said:
I bought both DVDs (series 1 and 2) a few months ago and I love it (was a bit too young to appreciate it first time round.)

Many of the outdoor shots were filmed on Gloucester Road, Bristol, where I was a student. In fact the Kebab and Calculator (really called Cock O' The North) is one of my locals and has a plaque outside it commemerating the fact that it was used in the series!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Now THAT is good info - seriously, some sort of pre-Bristol City match pilgrimage might well be called for. If Bristol has any sense, they'll have sorted out a Young Ones Bristol Walking Tour leaflet, or something.

phil1977

"And now on Whistle Test"
Nov 19, 2004
Bristol
Thanks MoH. Bristol City Council really should make some money out of Guided Tours of the Young Ones locations.

Another related, The building used as the Police Recruiting office and the Bank in the final episode is a very recently closed down swimming pool (Bristol North Baths.)

Shit, my 2nd year student house very closely resembled their house, bastard landlord, floods through the ceiling, blocked drains, weirdo neighbours, aggressive and abusive flatmates and to top it off, a rat infestation. The irony is that house is only 100 yards away from Codrington Road, where they lived. :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here