Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The XX - Brighton Dome 6 Dec 12

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Tickets bought. Thanks for the reminder. I queued outside Resident this morning rather than risk the website lottery and I think it paid off. I got there quite early but by opening time there was a good-sized queue. I don't know why but I thought it was at the Concorde, I'm so glad it's at the Dome now as it will suit the mood better and as I'm getting long in the tooth I prefer a bit of comfort and cleanliness. Plus the acoustics are superb.

Just a quick one for XX fans. I don't know who is supporting them on this tour but they have been supported previously by a Gothenburg band that I absolutely rave about - ironically called JJ (the 2 letter connection is purely coincidental). Check out their stuff because their electronic dream pop works really well with the XX music.

Beautiful Life
[yt]IYa5GvLudZs[/yt]

Things Will Neve Be The Same Again
[yt]-RLSoT0Sm3U[/yt]

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I saw them at Bestival and I have to disagree. The high pitched 'twongs' of the guitar floating across the nights gentle breeze was made for an amazing spectacle. Just because no-one could mosh or jump about doesn't mean they were 'flat'.

You are perfectly entitled to disagree but please don't be so patronising, I'm not looking for people to mosh at The XX.

Having seen them on numerous occasions before, I felt a) The scale of the the gig was possibly a little too big for them. They are a band you want to pay full attention to, this is made difficult by the incessant chatter of people who are there to take photos rather than watch and listen to the band. b)the new album maybe lacking a few of the knockout moments of the first and only being out for a matter of days before the gig.

I found the post Mercury performance at Besti in 2010 a more pleasurable experience, despite the fear of being crushed to death!

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Having seen them on numerous occasions before, I felt a) The scale of the the gig was possibly a little too big for them. They are a band you want to pay full attention to, this is made difficult by the incessant chatter of people who are there to take photos rather than watch and listen to the band. b)the new album maybe lacking a few of the knockout moments of the first and only being out for a matter of days before the gig.

Fo sho mister. Big crowds don't usually go for music where the silence is as potent as the chords. There's a hint of faddishness about a band like them selling out in minutes. My music tastes have never really left adolescence, so I can't imagine paying that much or wanting to see them in a chasm-sized venue. Still spent an hour negotiating the thudding clunkiness of the Dome website to get tickets for people who were working, mind.

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
Yeah they were awesome. The projections and lighting really made the show. They had a massive perspex X which filled with smoke and projections too! Compared to when i saw them in a Nottingham pub 4 years ago their presence has multiplied by the 1000s, they were quite shy then but now they've got the confidence that a band filling big venues should. When they come back I'll snap a ticket up!

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
They bore me to death. The fact that they need projections and smoke to make them interesting isn't surprising. Possibly the most over-rated band of this generation.

Biancazzurro

Aug 9, 2011
Hassocks
They bore me to death. The fact that they need projections and smoke to make them interesting isn't surprising. Possibly the most over-rated band of this generation.

Fair enough everyone has individual musical taste but surely the xfactor production line pop bands that fill the radio and TV are even more overrated compared to a band doing something a bit different?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here