Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Wrestler

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
If it does well at the box office and wins some more awards it will probably be re-released.

Techno

Oct 23, 2006
West Midlands
Saw it last night at the Electric cinema in brum, which is the oldest still working cinema in the country apparantly, Its awesome as well, they have sofa's and a licensed bar, and it only cost £2 with student discounts :thumbsup:

It was pretty emotinal have to admit, especially at the end. Mickey Rourke :bowdown:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've been writing about this film in other threads. It is a very very good film and a stella performance from Rouke. I was quite taken back by how good it was and how good Rouke is.

I had a nice coffee and a slice of homemade cake during the film and a Grubbs burger on the way home. That's living alright!

My missus is going to see it on Thursday.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Saw it last night at the Electric cinema in brum, which is the oldest still working cinema in the country apparantly /QUOTE]

i thought that honour was held by the Duke Of Yorks?

there's only one way to find out.........

I did as well. Bit like 7 cities claiming to own the original holy grail.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
quality film :bowdown:

Techno

Oct 23, 2006
West Midlands
Saw it last night at the Electric cinema in brum, which is the oldest still working cinema in the country apparantly /QUOTE]

I'm just going by what i read in the cinema, it opened in 1909 i think. Its a nice little place though, in a side street down by new street station

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
rourke is all set to play the ram once more - at wrestlemania. signed up for a match against chris jericho apparently

that should be well worth watching

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I saw it last night at the Ritzy in Brixton and I thought it was an excellent film!

Had so many good touches, to please both the wrestling types(that hardcore match seemed very believable) to him having that old NES game of when he was a wrestler!

The Ayatollah was a funny touch too, and not too out of touch with what wrestling still does now! (In 2003, they introduced some French cowards into the mix in WWE, around the Iraq War business, and let the cheese eating surrender monkeys get booed out of the building).

I also liked the soundtrack although it perturbed me somewhat, sharing music tastes with a character who was supposed to be washed up in the '80s. I never thought I'd hear Ratt AND Quiet Riot in a film..

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Top top film, also if anyone gets the chance catch Gran Torino probably Eastwood's last major role. Very very good movie and more than a few similar moments to Dirty Harry.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007

I am led to think that The Duke of Yorks is the oldest purpose built cinema in Britain, but I'm pretty sure it's not the oldest working cinema. I haven't Wikipedia-d that though so I may be wrong.

*MILD SPOILERS*

The Wrestler is utterly utterly fantastic - would be suprised if it wasn't in my top 3 films of the year and to be honest at the moment I can't see it losing the top spot. Really emotiona lwatch and incredibly involving. The ending is fantastic - completely unpredictable (when I saw the "speech" in the trailer I thought it was going to be a Rocky style finale) and nicely ambiguous (though I think you'd have to be a pretty optimistic person to see anything other than tragedy for Rourke's character.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here