Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The worst job you ever had?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Apart from retrieving lobsters from Jayne Mansfield's bum, of course

Worst I ever did was putting bottle tops on Grecian 5000 bottles in some light industrial building in East Worthing. I lasted 2 days and my hand swelled up like a blown up marigold glove.

Oh, and worked at a seafront cafe washing up. Got there at 7 in the morning, half hour lunch and finished at 9 at night. Did that for 6 weeks, 6 days a week. Sweet Jesus, that was knackering. The one and only time I ever got calluses on my hands, that was.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I would like to say making colostomy bags at Eschmanns one summer whilst at Uni, but actually it was a good laugh with some right characters there. Worst one would probably a week at an industrial laundry in Shoreham one summer, where they had a contract with a local abbotoir or industrial butchers and the overalls used to come with maggots in them:sick:

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
working for UPS delivering parcels around redhill

big brown van tha was boiling in summer freezing in winter. (unt of a boss. got in at 7 and got back at 7 pm with no break . lost 2 stone in 6 months. shit brown uniform . over 100 drops a day

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Peeling the labels off medicine bottles at a chemist. I stood over a sink with the bottles in hot water to peel off the labels, once I did those then I did some more. f*** me that was awful.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I've obviously led a bit of a charmed life, but I hated working as a steward at Uni. If you weren't splitting up fights or helping paralytic, vomit covered students to the ambulance, you were watching the girl you fancied dancing the night away with men queuing up for a dance.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Tractor / trailer driver for harvest on a farm.

Start at 8am, finish at anything between midnight and 3am.
7 days a week with no breaks from 2nd week in July till 2nd week in September.

:shootself

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
When I worked in Atlantis ... the manager just used to treat people like they were a piece of shit on her shoe. Then there was working until half three in the morning and cleaning the place up until 5.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
working as a cleaner in Homefield Mental Institution in Worthing was quite an experience...although there are several Head Chefs I could nominate that need some kind of mental convalesence :)

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Are you insane??!!

The mate that got me into it does the UK harverst from July to Sept. Then he flies to Canada and does their harvest till November, then he goes to Oz and works their harvest till February. Then he takes March till July off and travels the world, shagging anything with a vague pulse. Good harvest operators can earn a fortune if they are willing to do 18-20 hrs a day, 7 days a week, can fix breakdowns and swear every 3rd word.

I lasted 3 months. Earnt a big wedge of money, got a good tan but when the time came to fly to Canada, I bailed out. Happier now, albeit poorer.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
worked 3 day a week while at college, doing agency work for Kellys. lots of mundane factory work, not too bad though. one day i was send to some place they make omlettes for supermarkets. i spent 7 hours (with couple of breaks) moving omlettes from one conveyor belt onto another. :wozza: mind numbing. spured me on (too late for those A levels) to get on and never go back to such shit.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
In my current role, I had to pick up and bag the pieces of 2 children struck by an express locomotive on a level crossing.

That, for me, is as bad as it gets.

In my current role, I had to pick up and bag the pieces of 2 children struck by an express locomotive on a level crossing.

That, for me, is as bad as it gets.

I don't think anyone will have anything worse than that.

Oh, and worked at a seafront cafe washing up. Got there at 7 in the morning, half hour lunch and finished at 9 at night. Did that for 6 weeks, 6 days a week. Sweet Jesus, that was knackering. The one and only time I ever got calluses on my hands, that was.
I reckon my once-upon-a-time job of washing up in a secondary school canteen was worse. You wouldn't believe the quantity of custard that hundreds of kids can fail to eat - and how it clogged up everything.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Spending 4 days signing & sending hundreds of 'Children In Need' certificates - c/w gushing personalised covering-note & handwritten envelope. These 'awards' were, apparently, rewards to veiwers who were in need of personal reassurance after their selfless charitable deeds.

Marvelous.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I can't match most for the actual work involved but the worst job I have ever had was working for Currys as a 'Tech Guy'. Not so much the work but for the utter contempt that the firm had for both it's customers and it's employees. I used to think Currys were okay but now there is no way I would buy from them or PC World.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here